Porier made a career defining mistake.

How is it career defining when he already had a career defining moment fighting for the title? Also beating Tony won't guarantee him a title shot since he got finished by the champ not that long ago. Might as well ask for more money since he has more leverage over beating the guy who beat Tony

Nope, not how leverage works.

Fight game is what have you done for me lately, and lately Dustin was choked out, the idea that he feels that warrants a pay raise is mind boggling.

Fact is this fight has no bearing on the title picture anyways, no one is going to pay to watch a guy show case how absolutely terrible his take down defense is, and what?? Maybe he shows more heart this time and gives up his neck in the 5th round? Pass

And last time they tried and booked Tony vs Khabib we got Covid-19, so yea I'm good, no thanks.

SHits very interesting to read this thread not five months ago I was having go's on this site for underrating him a bit I called him 'better than a journeyman' and got serious flack for it

The way this debacle turned over I'm inclined to think I was right He's a good guy, he'll just have to be happy where he is that's all It's a big fish pond and that won't be Dustin I'm inclined to think

I like Poirier and he's highly respected for good reason. But he's not all that big of a star, nor a compelling personality. I'm not trying to knock the guy, I'm no star either. He might have painted himself into a corner though, where the UFC can't reward his negotiation tactics lest other fighters do the same.

If I was his mgmt team, I'd be concerned that he's going to start be booked to put over up and comers... In a certain way, that's the role Khabib was moving him towards (not deliberately) when he said anyone who wants a title shot has to beat Poirier first.

Also, why Dustin "The Diamond" Poirier?
I mean... Dustin Diamond?

At 31 years old he may be young but he's had 33 career fights. His career at the top will come to an end sooner or later whether he likes it or not.

I'd imagine he probably asked for an extra 100k and Dana White just cannot give it.

Dustin should have taken the fight. Tony was his path to the title. Tony is in his late 30s and his last fight he took an insane amount of damage. If there was a time to fight Tony, it's now. A win over Tony would essentially a guaranteed title shot and the fight had a high probability of being FOTN.

Now instead of Dustin making 300k + 150k to win, with the possibility of a 50k bonus, he's pissed off Dana, and could very well not even sniff a title shot for the next couple years depending on the landscape of LW.

Terrible decision by Dustin trying to force Dana's hand when he's one fight away from a probable title shot. Especially if Gatheje won the title, he'd have a really good chance in the rematch and once champ he could really negotiate for larger payday.

He played it for the short term, lost, and just fucked himself for the long term.

Edit: This isn't even factoring in the chance of either Khabib or Gatheje pulling out due to injury and Dustin possibly getting a short notice chance at the title.
Dustin does not earn $300k + $150k win....

Yep this is so true Ts.

dustin should have just taken the fight and not tried this diva shit.

poirier could have also lost to tony - no one will know what the right call is, but win lose or draw, he is always in the mix.....

poirier could have also lost to tony - no one will know what the right call is, but win lose or draw, he is always in the mix.....
the more he fights the quicker he finishes out his contract. he just has to maintain his market value which is partly from being an exciting competitive fighter.

Back