Porier made a career defining mistake.

Dustin should have taken the fight. Tony was his path to the title. Tony is in his late 30s and his last fight he took an insane amount of damage. If there was a time to fight Tony, it's now. A win over Tony would essentially a guaranteed title shot and the fight had a high probability of being FOTN.

Now instead of Dustin making 300k + 150k to win, with the possibility of a 50k bonus, he's pissed off Dana, and could very well not even sniff a title shot for the next couple years depending on the landscape of LW.

Terrible decision by Dustin trying to force Dana's hand when he's one fight away from a probable title shot. Especially if Gatheje won the title, he'd have a really good chance in the rematch and once champ he could really negotiate for larger payday.

He played it for the short term, lost, and just fucked himself for the long term.

Edit: This isn't even factoring in the chance of either Khabib or Gatheje pulling out due to injury and Dustin possibly getting a short notice chance at the title.

Who in their right mind would ever want to see Poirer vs. Khabib again? He doesn't belong in the same cage as Khabib. His only hope is a lucky punch from Gaijthe to dethrone the Goat. Otherwise he just wants a payday before he retires again.

I'd understand if he was negotiating for a title fight or the champ. But he's coming off a dominant loss to Khabib and a close win over Hooker. He's already getting paid good money compared to the division. He's acting like he's coming off a long streak with highlight reel vicious finishes.

I agree LW is so stacked, he wasn't in the position to further negotiate. Get the belt then play hard ball.

Completely agree. I think two things:

1. Porier is overrated on Sherdog specifically. Not to say he's bad but he's not some stud elite champion level guy imo. He got dominated by Khabib and almost lost to Dan freaking Hooker as you said.

2. Porier relative to other UFC fighters is paid well. He made 150k/150k for beating Hooker in his last fight. With bonuses he netted 370k that night. Is that awesome money for how much the UFC makes off these guys? No. But in context it's a lot.

That card Brendan Allen, the MW grappler, made 14k/14k. Khama Worthy made 14k/14k. Mo Greene made 30k/30k. Gall was on a 50k/50k. Perry was at 90k/90k.

So yeah obviously there's some guys who make more money than others comparatively like a Perry. But that's based on being exciting and negotiating. I'm sure Dustin Porier could have made more than 150/150 for this fight with Ferguson. But he was asking for 500k/500k I believe or more? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there but I think Porier wanted 500/500, which is pretty retarded when you just made 150/150 to ask for.

Porier is a good fighter and he is exciting and brings it. But he's not a draw. He doesn't deserve 500/500 unless he's champ tbh, relative to other fighters.

Tony would've strangled him and Doostin would've made 150k and lost his TOP 3 spot. As it is right now, he's still in the TOP mix ready to jump in, if the money's right and opportunity's awesome. He also just fought, could take a year off no problem and the landscape could change dramatically within that period of time, offering better opportunities.

Does anyone want to see Poirer vs Khabib again? Poorer looked like shit against Khabib and had NOTHING to offer him.

Dustin should have taken the fight. Tony was his path to the title. Tony is in his late 30s and his last fight he took an insane amount of damage. If there was a time to fight Tony, it's now. A win over Tony would essentially a guaranteed title shot and the fight had a high probability of being FOTN.

Now instead of Dustin making 300k + 150k to win, with the possibility of a 50k bonus, he's pissed off Dana, and could very well not even sniff a title shot for the next couple years depending on the landscape of LW.

Terrible decision by Dustin trying to force Dana's hand when he's one fight away from a probable title shot. Especially if Gatheje won the title, he'd have a really good chance in the rematch and once champ he could really negotiate for larger payday.

He played it for the short term, lost, and just fucked himself for the long term.

Edit: This isn't even factoring in the chance of either Khabib or Gatheje pulling out due to injury and Dustin possibly getting a short notice chance at the title.
Out of curiosity, can you name a few times when a fighter who wasn't champ did pick the right time to negotiate hard?

Because if you cannot name a few examples, then there's nothing special about Poirier and this specific situation; you (and Dana) just think non-champs should never (or almost never) re-negotiate. Including Poirier, now.

And I'm not saying that's a bad opinion of yours. I'm not judging someone else's opinion either way. I'm just trying to get the scope and context of your viewpoint.

It’s 350/150? Wonder what he asked for. Like 500k to show and 200 win or some bullshit.

Two fights ago he got dominated by the champion in a fight that was not competitive. He looked good against Hooker but I am not sure why he thinks he has leverage.

It wasn't a mistake. He was obviously prepared to lose the fight and knew that was a risk. He was interim champ when he fought Khabib, meaning he got PPV points for 242 which reportedly did very good PPV numbers (in the neighborhood of a million buys). IOW, he's done well financially in the last year. He decided to take a stand, as one of the best LWs in the UFC, and taking a risky fight against a very tough opponent. He knew what he was doing, and he knew the risks. He's a smart guy. He's not going anywhere and he is of the most entertaining fighters around. He'll be fine.

Poirier really does deserve to be paid right now. If Overeem and Hunt can get 800k a fight then Dustin should at least be able to get 300k or 350k flat. It's fucking criminal what he's being paid for all he's done.

Where did that number come from? He got 250K to show as interim champ in the ME. he made 150 to show vs Hooker.
Oh interesting. That’s pretty damn low TBH but hey you signed the contract ‍♂️

Sorry, but it is you who is making the mistake you blame DP for.

You do this now, who's to say he will get paid next fight?
You set up the fair price now, you will get paid for your next fight, and the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after that and so forth.
As it is, you yield to Dana now, next fight he will demand you to yield again.
At some point, you need to stand up for yourself, and that's what DP did.

And I disagree with you. DP is a nice guy. I am sure he did not do it in a bad way. So Dana has absolutely no grounds to be mad at him for that.

If he'd have done something publically like Jon did, then I would agree with you that it would incur Dana's wrath, but not if he done in a nice, professional way.

I don’t think Dustin ever beats khabib. It’s a terrible matchup.

The next couple guys coming up to fight top 5 are not going to be as big of names as tony or Justin. This is Dustin’s time to get paid. Not only that, but a loss to another contender and his ability to negotiate a better contract is gone.

He absolutely did the right thing. He should keep forcing his hand. If the ufc wants it, they’ll pay him regardless of what Dana says to the press
By the sounds of things Khabib will retire in two fights time assuming he wins both. Plenty time for Dustin to hold the belt before hanging up the gloves

I don’t think Dustin gets a title shot with a win over Tony. In that instance, I would imagine many pointing to the hellacious beating he just received, his age and mounting injuries as indicators he’s no longer a viable contender, I’m not sure you can gift a title shot to someone for beating an opponent who just lost, either, but there’s probably history in MMA to prove that theory incorrect. Dustin knows his own worth, and against someone like Tony who gives no shit about damage it’s a fairly big health risk, so compensation should match. He just got done going to war with hooker, a war with tony would perhaps lead to a TS but would he have much left in the tank after that? Jury is out on his choice, time will be our arbiter

By the sounds of things Khabib will retire in two fights time assuming he wins both. Plenty time for Dustin to hold the belt before hanging up the gloves
It’s khabib so this could be a 2 year waiting time. Additionally, like I said, if khabib fought longer then he said he would it would not be the first or last time a fighter has done that

I don't think he wants another title shot, not against Khabib anyways.

Oh interesting. That’s pretty damn low TBH but hey you signed the contract ‍♂️
Yea, well in the case of the Khabib fight, as interim champ he got ppv points, so he made a good amount in that fight I imagine.

He will he known for “ducking Tony”

what i think is that we actually know fuck all regarding the situation.

I like Most of this but honestly he's no threat to Khabib and it's proven So I think in that sense it's not as career defining as the simple reality I just alluded to

Back