Poliquin... *shakes fist*

He basically dismissed overhead squats as anything other than an assessment exercise. Personally, I have experienced great strength gains from overhead squats.

I wondered if that was going to get any play here. I can't see eating 430g of protein though...

Poliquin is pretty good at talking about things he really has no idea about. Oly lifters abandoned OHS in the 70's? WTF? I honestly don't think he is that stupid, but just likes to piss people off.

Just another example of why the Sherdog S&P community is frequenting that site less and less

Poliquin is pretty good at talking about things he really has no idea about. Oly lifters abandoned OHS in the 70's? WTF? I honestly don't think he is that stupid, but just likes to piss people off.

Taking 1000000000000000000000000000000000 grams of fish oil a day can cause teh crazies!

I tend to agree w/ what he said about overhead squats. While they're excellent for stability and flexibility and such, chances are the load will never be high enough to build a ton of raw strength. I think they have their place, but I can't think of a reason why they should ever take priority over backs or fronts.

Then again, I suck at them, so maybe I'm biased.

*edit: By the way, I think Poliquin is a douche.

I tend to agree w/ what he said about overhead squats. While they're excellent for stability and flexibility and such, chances are the load will never be high enough to build a ton of raw strength. I think they have their place, but I can't think of a reason why they should ever take priority over backs or fronts.

Basically what I was going to say.

But yea, I really don't like him either.

I also do not think they should take the place of back or front squats to build raw strength. But from my experience, the strength they build is highly applicable to my sport (mma).

I think they have their place, but I can't think of a reason why they should ever take priority over backs or fronts.

The Chinese weightlifting team is the best in the world, and they train to have an OHS equal to their front squat max. Unless you are an olympic lifter, I agree with you, but he blatantly says that it is an outdated exercise even for them which is just talking out his asshole.

The Chinese weightlifting team is the best in the world, and they train to have an OHS equal to their front squat max. Unless you are an olympic lifter, I agree with you, but he blatantly says that it is an outdated exercise even for them which is just talking out his asshole.

Commie. I almost thought you were take for a second. You should leave this beautiful free nations for China if you love them so much.

chinese-flag.gif

Poliquin > All of you

*sets up fish oil IV drip*

I have to say that I don't think they gave me any direct gains in strength, but they did improve my back squats. How? Improvement in form and balance. This is the key aspect of this exercise, not super strength increases. Get stable with 250lbs+ overhead while sitting deep into the hole and then standing up with it and your back squat form will improve basically instantly.

Talking out his asshole is Poliquin's specialty.

I think he gets paid by how many ridiculous sourceless claims he makes. This article probably bought him a whole new set of tight fitting shirts...

I discovered the OHS late in life, probably 6-7 years ago from Danny. Its an incredible move, and its not that it takes the place of of full squat, but completely augments it-same with front squat, deadlift, clean, etc. It is definitely on my short list of all around most effective exercise. I squatted 730 as a drug free 220lber, now I retired fairly early in life, (mid-20's) and I say without hesitation, that if I had used the OHS back then, I would have hit 800 ( within the same time frame) its that good of a move, as Danny says "ite makes you into one piece"

Sorry CP, disa on this one

Keith

I liked what he had to say very much, somethings I don't agree with, but at least his not a follower. As for OHS's from what I've read from Charlie Francis and Ian King, they only use OHS during strength and stability (i.e. early general preparation phase).

Back