Law Police departments facing critical shortages so some are lowering standards.

Forget mj. It should be legal across the board, but imagine the damage of people being able to buy heroin at a drug store and how insane that is, or meth, crack, fentanyl? Come on. We would have a ton of overdose deaths. We need more treatment and use it in lieu of jail. Ok, you got caught with meth and breaking and entering. Sentence them the one year in prison for the b&e but give them the option of a six month rehab and one year probation.

Dude we have drug addicts doing that right now right this second. All it does is make the addict more prone to also being a criminal, more likely to od on laced/stepped on drugs and way less likely to get any kind of help or have anyone know or care where they are.its fucking ridiculous that you think we should continue this failed war on drugs. As we've talked about. Legalize the drugs and then sick the cops like pitbulls on the people still doing criminal shit. We need to treat it like a mental problem and we need the cops busy doing other shit.

Yes I know cops like it cuz it makes it easier to jack up criminals and get them off the streets sometimes ....but we have more people in jail than any other country and it has caused more problems than it has solved. Like fenty and meth are both byproducts of our war on drugs. You might not be a cop any longer but youre still a cop and I think it makes it hard for you to look at it objectively

How bout this as an olive branch. Let's legalize pot pills coke and heroin ...let's see if fenty and meth go extinct on their own and crime and ods go down as well. And we can go from there ?

We already have a ton of overdose deaths we broke records last year. People are having fentanyl put in their drugs without even knowing and causing them to die.

It amazes me that people just want to keep doing the same thing and pretending like it’s working. We need more education on drugs and more free rehab centers. Stop arresting users especially. People who want to do meth, crack or any other drug aren’t going to be stopped because it’s not at their local Walmart. I’ve grown up with drug users my whole life and getting drugs was never an issue for us even when I was a kid. I was 16 with a grown man showing me crack. This is me living in a very white suburban area. Can’t even imagine how easy it is in high crime areas.

We disagree on one fundamental issue. We both agree it’s easy to get, we have a ton of overdoses, we need more free rehabs, more education, more resources period. I know we can’t arrest our way out of this issue, however, I believe things would get worse, not better, if the hardcore drugs were legalized. Stigma is a very big factor. It is both negative and positive. It is negative in that normal people that are addicts would fear seeking treatment because it labels them an addict and that has a scummy feel to it as a label. But stigma is also what keeps many people from trying it as well as being illegal. If you legalize it, people assume it is safe, and it never is whether regulated or not. And it may be easy now, but make it legal, and it is absolutely everywhere. Before my back surgery, I was on opioids for severe pain. The week before the surgery, the doctor told me that I had to go off of them or he said I would be in more misery than I could imagine because the pain meds after the surgery would be almost ineffective if I didn’t go off of them. That meant cold Turkey because I had no other options. I finished out the script and didn’t get a refill. That week was so fucking miserable. I remember it was my daughter’s sixth birthday and I struggled through the party and after it was over, I was in my attic crawling up the walls. Withdrawal is a bitch on wheels. I remember thinking that I was a cop and if I wanted ti get some pills, I wouldn’t even know where to start nor would I have done it, but if that shit was available in stores, I wouldn’t have made that week probably without buying more. Even with my neural pathways getting adjusted to being off the pills, the surgery was still miserable. They removed two discs and fused the spine then put brackets on both sides of the spine. Every time I moved, it felt like I was splitting in half. I can only imagine if the pills at the hospital had been less effective. But after all of that, I had to go off of them again, which I tapered and it wasn’t as bad, but still sucked. Now I would never take something not prescribed to me and sure as fuck bit something illegal, but if it was easily accessible in stores….that “illegal” stigma is erased. I would have never told anyone that a few years ago because I was so embarrassed. I had a hard time telling my wife how bad the withdrawals were and was so ashamed. But since, I have opened up to people and have realized that I was in so much pain that medication was the only way I could sit or move and I shouldn’t be ashamed and should be proud that I made it through when so many don’t. So again, stigma isn’t a powerful positive and negative motivator

I'm exposed to a lot of complaining from civilians on Twitter about how cops evade punishment all the time so I don't know what the balance is between them and the shitheads looking to make fast millions from the state. There's a strong belief that it's extremely difficult to prosecute officers and often they're released to work in other areas with no consequences. I have no idea how much truth there is in that, but it doesn't matter. You don't fix the problem by crushing them, you have to prevent people who can't handle the job from being there in the first place, or better prepare them.

We don’t disagree, however, now officers are not being given the benefit anymore on questionable shootings-especially when the deceased is a black male. We may see charges for the Akron officers that shot the guy that fired a Gun at them and then fled while wearing a ski mask-jayland walker. You just don’t know anymore. I am 100% in favor of charging officers and hammering them when they use the badge to commit crime such as robbing a drug dealer or sexual assault, but in a split second decision shooting, I believe you give them the benefit of what is reasonable. Andre hill in Columbus Ohio is a case that should be prosecuted. Walker should not, nor should this case of tekle. And twitter is a cesspool of negativity and I wish I had never ventured there. But I troll the fuck out of people in chump posts and talbert swan, who is a dick. And I feel icky afterwards but I enjoy challenging these twats that always say the same thing “Dylan roof was taken alive, but this black man that fired at police and then fled was executed cuz police are racist.” And i sometimes feel like some of the things I say on there are probably considered racist-I am sure they think that because they think police shot jayland because he was black and can’t see the big picture that he shot at police “but but but he was unarmed when he was actually shot” and they actually title their tweet “another unarmed black man shot by police-Akron this time…..” and it disgusts me that they say that with a straight face and mean it. So after some soul searching, I have decided that I am defending the profession of police and my issue is with everything being seen only through the lens of race. The millions of people worldwide that cried and protested and rioted and looted for floyd would never give two shits about him if he had been tortured and killed slowly by anyone other than a police officer-now they lay teddy bears at the site and cry and make pilgrimages to that scene. It’s pathetic that the only time black lives matter to these people is when police do the killing. They don’t even care when children are hit-as perfectly evidenced by this case where tekle shot at kids and they don’t care they just hate the police. So I hate that attitude and that hypocrisy so much that I have been walking a narrow line, but it’s not because I take issue with black people. I have zero issue with anyones skin color or religion, but I do have issue with playing the race card and seeing everything through that lens. And no think that is where you and I have issues. Not serious ones like you have with others, but I feel like you are probably in those Twitter threads taking their side-hell, maybe I have trolled you lol.

Forget mj. It should be legal across the board, but imagine the damage of people being able to buy heroin at a drug store and how insane that is, or meth, crack, fentanyl? Come on. We would have a ton of overdose deaths. We need more treatment and use it in lieu of jail. Ok, you got caught with meth and breaking and entering. Sentence them the one year in prison for the b&e but give them the option of a six month rehab and one year probation.

Fine with that as long as there is a strong castle doctrine and stand your ground. As well as shall issue.

People have a very short term memory. Less than a year ago in Dallas, especially in Chicago that had some of the largest rallies with people marching, shutting down roads carrying sign stating "defund the police". Well maybe they wishes have been granted and the fruition of their desires are showing their ugly head.

What's coming next mark my words will be "the government doesn't care enough about the people of Chicago". This is an unwinnable battle dealing with people who don't really sit and thing about the potential effect of their wishes.

We don’t disagree, however, now officers are not being given the benefit anymore on questionable shootings-especially when the deceased is a black male. We may see charges for the Akron officers that shot the guy that fired a Gun at them and then fled while wearing a ski mask-jayland walker. You just don’t know anymore. I am 100% in favor of charging officers and hammering them when they use the badge to commit crime such as robbing a drug dealer or sexual assault, but in a split second decision shooting, I believe you give them the benefit of what is reasonable. Andre hill in Columbus Ohio is a case that should be prosecuted. Walker should not, nor should this case of tekle. And twitter is a cesspool of negativity and I wish I had never ventured there. But I troll the fuck out of people in chump posts and talbert swan, who is a dick. And I feel icky afterwards but I enjoy challenging these twats that always say the same thing “Dylan roof was taken alive, but this black man that fired at police and then fled was executed cuz police are racist.” And i sometimes feel like some of the things I say on there are probably considered racist-I am sure they think that because they think police shot jayland because he was black and can’t see the big picture that he shot at police “but but but he was unarmed when he was actually shot” and they actually title their tweet “another unarmed black man shot by police-Akron this time…..” and it disgusts me that they say that with a straight face and mean it. So after some soul searching, I have decided that I am defending the profession of police and my issue is with everything being seen only through the lens of race. The millions of people worldwide that cried and protested and rioted and looted for floyd would never give two shits about him if he had been tortured and killed slowly by anyone other than a police officer-now they lay teddy bears at the site and cry and make pilgrimages to that scene. It’s pathetic that the only time black lives matter to these people is when police do the killing. They don’t even care when children are hit-as perfectly evidenced by this case where tekle shot at kids and they don’t care they just hate the police. So I hate that attitude and that hypocrisy so much that I have been walking a narrow line, but it’s not because I take issue with black people. I have zero issue with anyones skin color or religion, but I do have issue with playing the race card and seeing everything through that lens. And no think that is where you and I have issues. Not serious ones like you have with others, but I feel like you are probably in those Twitter threads taking their side-hell, maybe I have trolled you lol.

I don't take sides in these issues on Twitter. You know those pain in the ass questions I ask on new hot topics here demanding proof? I do the same thing when people make assumptions about police shootings, or I just shut the fuck up and take notes. Twitter is a much more dangerous minefield than this place, you piss off the wrong guy with 100k followers your account gets hate bombed. I've had to mute conversations I was completely invested in. Also I very clearly said that Rittenhouse was innocent, so any time I piss off a liberal they dig through my history, find those posts and show their followers what a conservative hack I am.

Everyone on both sides wants to assume everything right in the moment, and I'm sure you know first hand how often the truth takes a while to come out.

Gun to my head I'm going to assume an officer is so protected he's going to get the benefit of the doubt more often than not, but I know better than to assume and if you're saying it's actually the other way then it's something to consider. I don't know if anyone is out there compiling stats on how officers fare in these situations, so all I can do is watch case by case and see if each one makes sense. I have no understanding of the big picture, not because I'm biased, but how could I possibly know?

Fine with that as long as there is a strong castle doctrine and stand your ground. As well as shall issue.

are you saying because you think people will break into homes and attack people to get the drugs? Isn’t that already happening?

The kids I grew up with who microwaved gerbils and sodomized the underclassmen in the locker room all went on to join the NYPD. Their psychological screening process obviously needs some work and I can't imagine how the NYPD could make their standards any lower.
Are they the ones the sodomized Abner Louima with a plunger when they joined the force

GettyImages-1233380707.jpg

It's only a matter of time...

You guys really need to find a new case to champion. That one is how many years old now? I didn’t even have to look at where it is-new london or somewhere like that because that is used almost as much as the non peer-reviewed study where some twit found that 40% of police officers are domestic abusers because yeah, I am sure they would simply just admit to that. She won’t list her questions or methods and it was one department and chodes think that la is representative of the 900k police officers in the country. Anyway, I have never known a single police officer that ever was questioned for being too intelligent, save this guy. I took the entrance test and missed one question and no one said “hey, maybe you’re too smart to be a police officer.” This instance is an aberration in a city of 25 k.

the whole police force needs revamping. maybe its a good thing that nobody wants to join the present incarnation and maybe a much needed culture change can happen.

You guys really need to find a new case to champion. That one is how many years old now? I didn’t even have to look at where it is-new london or somewhere like that because that is used almost as much as the non peer-reviewed study where some twit found that 40% of police officers are domestic abusers because yeah, I am sure they would simply just admit to that. She won’t list her questions or methods and it was one department and chodes think that la is representative of the 900k police officers in the country. Anyway, I have never known a single police officer that ever was questioned for being too intelligent, save this guy. I took the entrance test and missed one question and no one said “hey, maybe you’re too smart to be a police officer.” This instance is an aberration in a city of 25 k.
This instance being an aberration is just like your opinion dude.

what could possibly go wrong by lowering the standards of police further

This instance being an aberration is just like your opinion dude.

you knew some unstable assholes in high school. I have probably worked with 500 police officers, probably more

law enforcement has themselves to blame as much as anyone. sure the defund the police movement i dumb, and why in the world would anyone want to be a cop in chicago, portland, etc., but they have been so corrupt and so evil for so long that people are finally raliing how trash they are. especially with cameras everywhere now. you treat people the way cops do and eventually the public will turn.

now you are going to lower the standards? we actually might be better off just having a community watch with social workers than idiots with badges and guns

The problem:

Police departments across the country are facing such serious shortages that 911 call response times are becoming longer and longer and departments are desperate to fill empty positions. For example, Dallas pd is down almost 600 officers. Chicago went from having 22k people/year going through the process of becoming a police officer in 2018 to less than 4K taking the exam in 2021. Retirements of police officers are up as are resignations.
There were 42.7% more resignations in 2021 than in 2019.
• Agencies of all sizes reported substantial increases in resignations from 2019 to 2021.
• There were 23.6% more retirements in 2021 than in 2019.
• Agencies of all sizes reported an increase in retirements from 2019 to 2020, and large agencies saw the largest increase.
Reasons given have been mostly related to the “racial reckoning” of 20 and officers across the country getting really shit on about the death of floyd and the defund the police movement.

It’s also critical to address this issue while we are facing a rising crime epidemic across the country. Violent crimes such as shootings and murders are up in many cities, some with over 100% increase. It takes at least 8 months for an officer to be able to hit the road by themselves. Usually 4-6 months in the academy and 4-6 months of fto training.

What police departments are doing about it:
Chicago has relaxed the education requirement of 60 college credits if the applicant has prior police experience or related fields. Police departments are eliminating special anti-crime units or gun units, departments are shifting resources to patrol to try and cover vacant positions, and departments are adding incentives to attract applicants or to entice officers not to retire.

My take:
I think lowering standards is a terrible idea, but if they are going to do that, it should be in a smart manner.

My opinion on the matter is that incentives should be offered for college degrees or police experience and it should be an incremental rate depending on the amount of education or experience the applicant has. I didn’t have to have a degree to become a police officer, but I had one from Washington and Jefferson college outside of Pittsburg, which is an elite school. What did it get me? Nothing. Now I have a masters and if I was able to become a police officer again(I can’t because of the metal hardware on my spine), I would expect to be compensated for having an advanced degree. While I have worked with great officers with no college experience, I feel the best I worked with had degrees, but where is the incentive to have a degree if it is not needed? A college education should also be offered for those that don’t have it and want it. I am sure many colleges would be willing to offer decent discounts or free tuition for police officers as it benefits the entire community.
The second thing I would do is to offer years of experience based incremental raises at set levels. So much at three years, so much at 5, 10, 15, etc.

the third thing is that the salary has to be increased and competitive with other professions. Police officers in some cities or counties can make a lot with lots of ot, but in other areas, the pay is laughable. I was a lieutenant and I made a tad over 50k before taxes.

And finally, we have to do something to retain officers. I think that pay is a serious motivator for that.
Offer a bonus every five or ten years to give officers that reason to stay.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/w...e-with-critical-staffing-shortages/ar-AAZLdh3

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/18/us/chicago-police-recruiting-standards/index.html

I've trained and train thousands of officers the past 20 yrs. Most shouldn't be officers just on the physical shape alone. So many out of shape and can't defend themselves physically.(why they use weapon before anything else)

The others who simply have a bully attitude also shouldn't be officers. They get off on power tripping when telling their arrest stories of suspects. It's cringey as hell.

Then you actually got the good officers who talk to me behind closed doors on how many bad officers there is. They have to be careful who the tell on because word will get around that a good cop is outing corrupted cops.

Sound very political in these departments.

Back