Law Police departments facing critical shortages so some are lowering standards.

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
The problem:

Police departments across the country are facing such serious shortages that 911 call response times are becoming longer and longer and departments are desperate to fill empty positions. For example, Dallas pd is down almost 600 officers. Chicago went from having 22k people/year going through the process of becoming a police officer in 2018 to less than 4K taking the exam in 2021. Retirements of police officers are up as are resignations.
There were 42.7% more resignations in 2021 than in 2019.
• Agencies of all sizes reported substantial increases in resignations from 2019 to 2021.
• There were 23.6% more retirements in 2021 than in 2019.
• Agencies of all sizes reported an increase in retirements from 2019 to 2020, and large agencies saw the largest increase.
Reasons given have been mostly related to the “racial reckoning” of 20 and officers across the country getting really shit on about the death of floyd and the defund the police movement.

It’s also critical to address this issue while we are facing a rising crime epidemic across the country. Violent crimes such as shootings and murders are up in many cities, some with over 100% increase. It takes at least 8 months for an officer to be able to hit the road by themselves. Usually 4-6 months in the academy and 4-6 months of fto training.

What police departments are doing about it:
Chicago has relaxed the education requirement of 60 college credits if the applicant has prior police experience or related fields. Police departments are eliminating special anti-crime units or gun units, departments are shifting resources to patrol to try and cover vacant positions, and departments are adding incentives to attract applicants or to entice officers not to retire.

My take:
I think lowering standards is a terrible idea, but if they are going to do that, it should be in a smart manner.

My opinion on the matter is that incentives should be offered for college degrees or police experience and it should be an incremental rate depending on the amount of education or experience the applicant has. I didn’t have to have a degree to become a police officer, but I had one from Washington and Jefferson college outside of Pittsburg, which is an elite school. What did it get me? Nothing. Now I have a masters and if I was able to become a police officer again(I can’t because of the metal hardware on my spine), I would expect to be compensated for having an advanced degree. While I have worked with great officers with no college experience, I feel the best I worked with had degrees, but where is the incentive to have a degree if it is not needed? A college education should also be offered for those that don’t have it and want it. I am sure many colleges would be willing to offer decent discounts or free tuition for police officers as it benefits the entire community.
The second thing I would do is to offer years of experience based incremental raises at set levels. So much at three years, so much at 5, 10, 15, etc.

the third thing is that the salary has to be increased and competitive with other professions. Police officers in some cities or counties can make a lot with lots of ot, but in other areas, the pay is laughable. I was a lieutenant and I made a tad over 50k before taxes.

And finally, we have to do something to retain officers. I think that pay is a serious motivator for that.
Offer a bonus every five or ten years to give officers that reason to stay.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/w...e-with-critical-staffing-shortages/ar-AAZLdh3

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/18/us/chicago-police-recruiting-standards/index.html

The kids I grew up with who microwaved gerbils and sodomized the underclassmen in the locker room all went on to join the NYPD. Their psychological screening process obviously needs some work and I can't imagine how the NYPD could make their standards any lower.

We just need to listen to the right people.
5fc8ca4e06c4ef5feabc6b53_o_U_v2.jpg

The 60 credit thing seems to be only for the biggest PDs in the country like NYC, LA, Chi, etc.
Local PD here is actually fully staffed but this is also a boring suburb where nothing ever happens. And last time they were hiring they were only looking at cops from existing PDs looking to transfer.

Defunding them will probably raise their standards and allow for more positions to be filled by highly qualified individuals.

The 60 credit thing seems to be only for the biggest PDs in the country like NYC, LA, Chi, etc.
Local PD here is actually fully staffed but this is also a boring suburb where nothing ever happens. And last time they were hiring they were only looking at cops from existing PDs looking to transfer.

my former department has a sign on bonus of 24 k and they are still short staffed but we had no requirements nor incentives to have a college education

The kids I grew up with who microwaved gerbils and sodomized the underclassmen in the locker room all went on to join the NYPD. Their psychological screening process obviously needs some work and I can't imagine how the NYPD could make their standards any lower.

Sure they did, Hola.

How low can they even go at this point?

what about the ones that sodomized gerbils? And clearly, your experience is the standard of most police officers

The majority of the country is over policed and the areas that need more policing are underfunded.

my former department has a sign on bonus of 24 k and they are still short staffed but we had no requirements nor incentives to have a college education
Atlanta PD only requires a HS diploma or GED. They're still 400-500 officers short though, even before the 2020 Summer of Love and Peace and the Rayshard Brooks shooting.

don’t forget corgi bush and how she is steadfast about defunding police while spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on personal security, including hiring off duty cops. Tha squad are a bunch of cunts

Fox didn't want to put her pic in there because too much ugly kills ratings.

How low can they even go at this point?

that is a good question. At what point do certain crimes go un-prosecuted across the board and not just in progressive shitholes? At what point do departments say they will only respond to in progress crimes?

This is going to be unpopular but as far as I'm concerned it's a good thing. All the defund people will get what they deserve. I'm unhappy about the people that thought the defund was stupid but are now caught up in it but other then to move there is nothing for them but to legally arm themselves to protect themselves and their families and vote.

Atlanta PD only requires a HS diploma or GED. They're still 400-500 officers short though, even before the 2020 Summer of Love and Peace and the Rayshard Brooks shooting.

The retard brooks shooting response was a joke. Dude was dui, fought with police and took one of their tasers, and pointed it at an officer’s face before being shot. Another fine example of elevating total shitheads to martyr status

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back