Poirier says being on the mat with Khabib felt like rolling with Marcelo Garcia

I'd love to see Khabib go to Marcelo's gym for a week train with all his blacks and never get tapped. When they're hunting him and their leader is Marcelo not Khabib.

Lmao. This is getting so old... he has no real submission game he'd be caught in shit he's never even seen before. Khabib with a gi on would get Fucked Up so bad... with shit he's never even seen before. I'm sure he's ready for the 50/50 and the berimbolos Haha. No he's not.

He would be fine

Yeah FIGHTING with Khabib is a lot different than ROLLING with Marcelo "a long time ago"
Marcelo would smoke Khabib.View attachment 647031

Jesus. In a fight?. Or a fight where you can’t get your ass kicked?

Khabib would be on a different level of grappling. Ya know if the other guy wasn’t trying to beat the shit out of you while grappling.

It’s like saying I could beat that guy but he was so fast and powerful. So if you eliminated that I would beat him.... what?

Prob more in terms of balance,weight distribution, hip strength / mobility

Both of them are like cobras in their own way

I feel like it'd be hard to compare them beyond that though

Marcelo is a pound for pound grappling GOAT but we have had guys like Jacre, Roger etc all try and succeed at MMA too.

The guy who had the highest ceiling of grapplers turned MMA fighters due to his ability to take people down and have blanketing top game like Khabib was Ricardo Arona. Unfortunately after doing the impossible (beating Wand in pride) his career went wide ways. He never had an offensive point scored on him in ADCC and was a very dominant (albeit boring and safe) grappler. Looked like the Ubereem and Costa kind too. Now he’s only remembered in where is Arona threads, the page slam and the sokudjo KO.

How good is Marcellus grappling when he’s getting punched in the face?

Oh he’s never done that?

Well What what matters in actual real world confrontation you can’t be the best at something if you’ve never had a guy trying to beat you up.

Jiu Jitsu. Is a game. Any old man or boy can do it.

The great equalizer in a sport or fight. Or a game is the violent aspect of it
Which as good as Marcelo is at the game of positioning is

He’s good at fighting without violence.

That’s like a girl who gives the best blowiobs but doesn’t have a mouth but uses her gouged out eye.

Yeah it’s fucking retarded.

I see what you’re saying but I don’t love your reasoning, which is very prevalent on Sherdog.

Say a fighter says he has never taken roids and has no idea how he pissed hot.
Say I call BS.
You believe him, right? Because he would actually know, and I’m just guessing?

Get your point, but it’s about incentives. A roiding fighter has every reason to lie. Poirier was just making an observation, he has no strong incentive to lie?

Dustin thought he would be able to grapple with Khabib. Conor trained very good TDD and had some good grappling in that fight.
View attachment 647093
Dustins one of those guys who was prob given his black belt a bit early

Under a more strict coach he'd likely still be hovering around brown

Just my thought though

Not all black belts handed out are created equal

I like how the jitz nerds are upset at someone comparing an undefeated LW world champion in multiple sports to another high caliber grappler. This isn't apples and car engines people, it's apples and apples.

Khabib would absolutely stomp Marcelo in MMA and you know it. Even Rickson actually got in there and competed.

Found it.

Watch Khabib lose for the first time everyone.

This is what happens when you quote me like an idiot.

Khabib was 18 (younger than that I think). I see grown ass men cry when they lose in the finals of IBJJF Worlds. Shit is normal dude.

Are you? You've quoted me like 17 times. I'm gambling on tennis right now predicted Tsonga would lose a set I'm making money. What are you doing?

I agree. I think Khabib is the most dominant grappler in MMA history. I think he will wrestle fuck Tony for 5 rounds if he has to and I might be Tony's biggest advocate here. It's just the never been tapped mythological bs that bothers me. I've said that many times.

I’m quoting you because we’ve been in conversation on the same thread. You’re fascinating, the things you come out with are ludicrous.

Not sure why what either of us are doing right now is relevant. Or why you feel compelled to keep telling me.

Good luck with your bets

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dustin more so comparing their abilities to distribute their weight correctly in order to control position? I don't think he was doing a flat out blanket comparison, but merely comparing their abilities to control weight distribution.

I’m quoting you because we’ve been in conversation on the same thread. You’re fascinating, the things you come out with are ludicrous.

Not sure why what either of us are doing right now is relevant. Or why you feel compelled to keep telling me.

Good luck with your bets
Quote number 18. Are you triggered my man? Thin line between genius and insanity remember that. Waiting now for quote #19... jesus man.. I'm literally yawning again. Stop quoting me? I can't think of one notable thing you've said this entire time. So just stop. Please dude I will fall asleep I'm not kidding. I still dont know your name or who you are you're just some strange hand you're basically Thing from the Addam's family lighting up my inbox with nonsense. Go do something. Make some money. Anything.

Wait, are there really people who think Khabib could hang with Marcelo in pure grappling?

Garcia was submitting Maia last time they rolled about every minute. He was submitting Askren (admittedly green) about every 30-45s. He submitted Shields in a couple minutes too. These are the best mma grapplers in the world and he was submitting them like white belts. He would have khabibs neck in under a minute, easy.

MMA grappling is different. Maia and Garcia have the same teacher and when they were coming up they looked at each other sort of as rivals, but once Maia transitioned to MMA, Garcia started dominating him in pure BJJ settings. We haven't seen Garcia in an MMA setting, but I'm sure Maia would do much better against him there.

I'm not sure why people haven't realized that the sports are different with different rules and different scoring criteria.

Quote number 18. Are you triggered my man? Thin line between genius and insanity remember that. Waiting now for quote #19... jesus man.. I'm literally yawning again. Stop quoting me? I can't think of one notable thing you've said this entire time. So just stop. Please dude I will fall asleep I'm not kidding. I still dont know your name or who you are you're just some strange hand you're basically thing from the Addam's family lighting up my inbox with nonsense way too much.

Why are you getting upset at discussion on a discussion forum?

You’re nowhere near that fine line between genius and insanity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dustin more so comparing their abilities to distribute their weight correctly in order to control position? I don't think he was doing a flat out blanket comparison, but merely comparing their abilities to control weight distribution.

Yes.
But don't expect sherdogers to read more than 5 lines and not being toxic about everything.

MMA grappling is different. Maia and Garcia have the same teacher and when they were coming up they looked at each other sort of as rivals, but once Maia transitioned to MMA, Garcia started dominating him in pure BJJ settings. We haven't seen Garcia in an MMA setting, but I'm sure Maia would do much better against him there.

I'm not sure why people haven't realized that the sports are different with different rules and different scoring criteria.

That’s my point. Khabib is not trained for the nuances of pure grappling. In a pure grappling match, like mentioned in my post, he would not be competitive with Garcia. Many people think otherwise ITT, which is well humorous.

lol at Dustin always saying he knows he can beat him and he let everyone down

Nobody was expecting him to win, he got destroyed but put in his best effort

He will never beat Khabib and he certainly didn't let anyone down

Marcelo is a pound for pound grappling GOAT but we have had guys like Jacre, Roger etc all try and succeed at MMA too.

The guy who had the highest ceiling of grapplers turned MMA fighters due to his ability to take people down and have blanketing top game like Khabib was Ricardo Arona. Unfortunately after doing the impossible (beating Wand in pride) his career went wide ways. He never had an offensive point scored on him in ADCC and was a very dominant (albeit boring and safe) grappler. Looked like the Ubereem and Costa kind too. Now he’s only remembered in where is Arona threads, the page slam and the sokudjo KO.
Agreed. Shogun sweeping him with an omoplata was unreal too considering never getting a point scored against him in adcc

Geez what the fuck happened in this thread?

Poirier is here giving a compliment to Khabib and suddenly it turns into a pissing contest between Khabib fans And Marcelo fans?

Why can’t BOTH guys just be on an advanced level of grappling. And yeah i’ll take Dustin’s word over a bunch of people that haven’t grappled with either guy.
<Bottle.gif>

Let them bang bro

http-makeagif.com-media-10-21-2014-HDn1Al.gif

Its no wonder Khabib's opponents look lost in there; he's just in a different league entirely

appeal to authority
logical fallacy

Joe: OHHHHHH !!! Commenter connected on Poster flush with the Second Branch of the Trivium!

Dominic: Actually no, Joe, you’re wrong. Rhetoric is the Third Branch of the Trivium.

Back