Plyo's, sprints, ballistic's for size?

Chad Hamilton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Is it possible to put on any size out of the weight room?

I'm thinking not but I'm hoping for some info.

I do plyo's, ballistics, sprints, tons of medicine ball throws and such.

If you can't naturally, what about with a pro-hormone?

talk to yomon. This is what he's trying to do right now. Personally, I think weights are your best bet, and I'll be sticking with them until I can't, but yomon is doing some interesting shit.

Are you specifically trying to stay away from weights?

Not trying to stay away at all.

Just moved to a new city...budget's tight...haven't yet reaped the rewards of my new promotion enough to get a membership at a gym.

On top of that is mma training...and that's where my finances will be going first.

So yomon huh?

i would say yes absolutely. look at the bodies of most explosive athletes, sprinter, throwers, jumpers. all usually very very muscular and that is similar to the type of training they do.

STOMP said:
i would say yes absolutely. look at the bodies of most explosive athletes, sprinter, throwers, jumpers. all usually very very muscular and that is similar to the type of training they do.
because they probably don't lift at all...

I was a sprinter at OU and we did do olympic movements and squats.

as I recall T-mag had a article for a sprinting program to use instead of weights to develop leg size. I haven't *really* read it but it was based are 40yard sprints if I remember right. I'll have a look for a link.

edit:there you go

Plyos and ballistics are training methods used primarily to develop neuromuscular coordination, not hypertrophy, so alone, they will not be an ideal methods for increasing size. What the development of neuromuscular coordination can do, among other things, is teach your body to recruit more muscle fibers for any given activity. The level of muscular coordination can play a large role in the rate of success of a hypertrophy program, however, such methods are generally only recommended for athletes with at least a few consistent years of experience with basic weight training under their belts.

jumprope with some up downs / pull-ups every time you mess up. when you can do that for 10 rounds you will be buff. lol

wasptrash said:
Plyos and ballistics are training methods used primarily to develop neuromuscular coordination, not hypertrophy,
good point. i think some hypertrophy is inevitable though , fast twitch muscle fibers take up more space than slow if im not mistaken . i dont no if the there will b any noticable difference though.

Urban said:
because they probably don't lift at all...

i never said they probably don't lift smartass. but fast twitch muscle fibers are trained explosively and are bound to grow by explosive training like someone said above. dick.

Whoa there, trigger. No need to lose your cool over a sarcastic comment. All Urban pointed out was that elite athletes in all those sports you named do considerable weight training, which accounts a great deal for their muscularity.

ERGO

You can't conclusively point to them as an example of increased mass without weights.

ERGO

You shouldn't be pissed off at Urban because he called you on a somewhat silly statement.

ERGO

I don't really know. I was on a roll up until this point.

parallax86 said:
good point. i think some hypertrophy is inevitable though , fast twitch muscle fibers take up more space than slow if im not mistaken . i dont no if the there will b any noticable difference though.
Sure a bit is probable, but it would be silly to use them if size is the goal. It would be like having a goal of increasing your 1 rep max and using a pure bodybuilding program to do so. As far as the fast/slow twitch thing, both types of training; hypertrophy and strength (I'm generalizing the two) work fast twitch fibers. They do, however, primarily work different types of fast twitch fibers (type IIA and B). Hypertrophy training tends to be higher in reps than strength training in order to target more of type IIA than IIB. Why does it matter? Well there are many reasons as to why one responds more to a certain type of training than another (namely oxidative vs glycolytic pathways), but these aren't important. What is important is that type IIA (the type utilized by higher rep training) have more potential for growth than IIB. So, if the goal is size, why not train for size (IIA). If the goal is strength, train for strength (IIB). You wouldn't do medium to long distance running if an increase in size were your goal (even though some leg development is possible) so why do explosive strength work for it?

HULKAMANIA said:
Whoa there, trigger. No need to lose your cool over a sarcastic comment. All Urban pointed out was that elite athletes in all those sports you named do considerable weight training, which accounts a great deal for their muscularity.

ERGO

You can't conclusively point to them as an example of increased mass without weights.

ERGO

You shouldn't be pissed off at Urban because he called you on a somewhat silly statement.

ERGO

I don't really know. I was on a roll up until this point.

Does this qualify? Yes, this qualifies.

PWNED!!!!

Madmick said:
Does this qualify? Yes, this qualifies.

PWNED!!!!

hahaha. whatever man. i never ever stated that those elite athletes probably didn't lift. i never stated that all of their hypertrophy probably came from sprinting and doing plyos. all i said was that i think that explosive movements such as those are bound to create SOME hypertrophy. in my experience, when i was doing a lot of sprinting i put on a lot more mass than i ever have when i been exclusively lifting. i just get tired of the one or two guys who always have to be smartasses and think they know everything there is to know about lifting and conditioning and no one else on these boards could ever know shit. i'm sure there are a lot of dudes on this board that know plenty about lifting but no one ever gives anything they say any validity because they don't spend the majority of their free time on this board. it's stupid.

So...It is possible to gain weight thru plyos etc.

Now, I have a whole grocery sack full of banned prohormones. You name it, I probably have it.
Oxavar
Mad 250
On Cycle (original)
Methyl D
M-One-t by gaspari
M-1-t by VPX
Methyl-x by IDS
1-test by vpx
1-test cypionate by vpx
I have 2 or more of everything...no shit. (I ran a supplement store.)
So what do you guys recommend stacking while concentrating on the type of training I've mentioned.

Back