please explain to me how training pull ups help you in a fight?

Or the kind like 'listen to an HIT Jedi/fencer to get good in a fight' nonsense.

Grip.
Pulling strength.

That's why I do them as related to Judo / grappling.

Training pullups will make you stronger which will help your fight training. Thats not so hard a leap now is it?

Get as strong as you want.. and you can still have no skill and be the strongest worst fighter.

Get as strong as you want.. and you can still have no skill and be the strongest worst fighter.

No ones arguing that doing pull ups is all you need to become a good fighter. You have the reading comprehension of a rock.

Here's a question...take two hypothetical fighters, who are absolutely identical skillwise. The only difference between them, is fighter A can rep out 30 pullups and do several one-armed chins, and fighter B struggles to pull his weak ass over the bar twice.

Who wins in a fight?

Here's another scenario; Fighter A has a huge strength advantage over fighter B and can throw him around ilke a ragdoll with nothing but brute strength...however, fighter A has basically no technique, and fighter B, while much weaker, is a technical wizard. Can brute strength help a technically inferior fighter compete with a much more skilled opponent? See Sapp vs Nogueira for an example of this very principle. Yes I'm aware that Nog won, but Sapp was able to give him the fight of his life with nothing but brute strength on his side.

The moral of the story is, technique and strength are both important. Nobody is saying to just do pullups all day and neglect skill training; however, doing the opposite is just as foolish. Often times when two fighters skill levels are close, the fight will come down to who is in better shape and more powerful. BJ Penn learned the importance of fitness and strength through is mixed-success forays into heavier weight classes.

Its obvious that the TS is a noob, so all the answers pretty much sum up why pull ups are very very important for fight training, so just start off by doing them wide grip, you will see the difference immediately with your MMA training, you will be able to punch harder,push, pull better than ever.

Thanks, i'm sure everyone reading this thread though that if they could do more pullups than GSP they would be a better fighter. Or was this just a randomly generated response that pianfully missed it's mark on being effective or usefull....

No ones arguing that doing pull ups is all you need to become a good fighter. You have the reading comprehension of a rock.

Since I never said that anyone claiming that that is all they need, I think your reading skills are a bit in question.

Your training comprehension is a bit in question too. If you think it is efficient to train pullups over fighting, or to lose fighting time because you want to do crosstraining as a magic bullet, all to supposedly become better at the skill of fighting... I hope you don't coach. :)

This in no way is an attempt to discourage fighters from doing pullups. Or from doing cartwheels.

Since I never said that anyone claiming that that is all they need, I think your reading skills are a bit in question.

Your training comprehension is a bit in question too. If you think it is efficient to train pullups over fighting, or to lose fighting time because you want to do crosstraining as a magic bullet, all to supposedly become better at the skill of fighting... I hope you don't coach. :)

This in no way is an attempt to discourage fighters from doing pullups. Or from doing cartwheels.

Just go away.

so I'm guessing you never try to pull anything while fighting?

I have $20 for whoever wipes a certain someone off the face of the planet.

IP ban for stat. He is now polluting not only his log, but the main forum. Please ban.

Wait for it....wait for it.....*facepalm*

Seriously now... I can't think of another exercise as effective and readily available as a pull up. IMHO it's the easiest thing to string into a anaerobic routine.

As for upper back strength and it's effectiveness in fighting, I firmly believe its not only beneficial but practically essential. From being able to cope with a guy leaning on you in the clinch, to turning your opponent from the inside.

A certain someone belongs in the heavyweights forum, they like this stuff over there.

What's up with this false ultimatum thing you've got going on? Why do you have to choose one or the other...do you really spend every waking moment training fighting, to the point where you can't take 30 minutes out of your day for some strength training and pullups? Strength + technique is better than technique alone every time, there's a reason every fighter worth his salt does strength training, and there's a reason we're here in a thread discussing the fact that GSP's strength coach is having him do weighted pullups. Maybe you should talk to GSP's strength coach and tell him pullups are a waste of his fighter's time?

Stat, there's a reason that the vast majority of pro fighters do some sort of strength trainin' to supplement their skill trainin': because strength is important. Strength won't make up for vastly inferior skills, but as stated, it can be a tie-breaker or the thing to put ya ahead of a guy who may be slightly more skilled. Nobody on here (or in the UFC countdown) said that pull-ups make a great fighter all on their own. It's just one piece of the puzzle.

I've never looked at your log or really had a problem with you before (maybe I just dodged the thread you were in), but what I've read from you in this thread would take blue ribbon at the state fair for ignorance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back