please explain to me how training pull ups help you in a fight?

viruswitshoes

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
i train my lats but i can't quite grasp why training pull ups and having extremely strong lats will help you in a fight where most of the muscles one would use would be in the legs, core, chest, arms, and shoulders. i know its important to train all muscles, but i don't see why people are making such a big deal for gsp only being able to do 10 pull ups a year ago.

upper back strength is very important in the clinch...neck strength too

Are the lats not part of moving your arm and shoulders back. for example hooking your oppenents leg and pulling it to your body for a single or double leg takedown. It's obviously the biceps/brachilias, rear deltoids and traps being activated to achieve this movement but do the lats not have a big part in this movement as well?

I could be wrong, but when I do bent over rows my lats are being worked, well at least I think they do lol because I haven't done pull ups in a long time and my lats are still quite big if not bigger.

Lats are extrememly important for stabilising the core. You use them when punching, kicking, shooting, shrimping, underhooking, every fucking thing. In summation: CHINSMOTHERFUCKER.

Are the lats not part of moving your arm and shoulders back. for example hooking your oppenents leg and pulling it to your body for a single or double leg takedown. It's obviously the biceps/brachilias, rear deltoids and traps being activated to achieve this movement but do the lats not have a big part in this movement as well?

I could be wrong, but when I do bent over rows my lats are being worked, well at least I think they do lol because I haven't done pull ups in a long time and my lats are still quite big if not bigger.

Hmm, maybe if he's off balance, but then you're using technique more than strength anyway. If he really wants to break your grip, his legs will most likely >>>>> your back strength every time. Double leg is more about driving through your opponent and sweeping his legs to the side anyway, as opposed to pulling his legs in toward you.

However, if you've ever done judo, or wrestling for that matter, you know how important it is to be able to pull your opponent and move his weight around while standing. How are you gonna send him off balance to set up that double leg or whatever other take down without that rowing motion?

Certainly it's not the MOST important exercise for fighting, but neither is grip strength, doesn't make it unimportant.

Having strong arms and back I find really is beneficial when grappling, especially when you fuck up and gwet caught in an armbar or something ... its a satrisfying feeling when your lats/bi's overpower someones hips.

Obviously, this isnt the best sub defense out there lol

neither is grip strength

I have to disagree with you here. If someone who could close the 4's got you in wrist control you would be like putty in their hands (assuming of course they knew how to fight).

On your other point. Get into a thai clinch with someone with a strong upper back. You'll be eating knees before you can blink unless you have a strong upper back/neck as well.

I have to disagree with you here. If someone who could close the 4's got you in wrist control you would be like putty in their hands (assuming of course they knew how to fight).

On your other point. Get into a thai clinch with someone with a strong upper back. You'll be eating knees before you can blink unless you have a strong upper back/neck as well.

I never said it wasn't important, I said it wasn't the MOST important thing in a fight. Sure having good grip strength helps, but if that's all you had do you think you could beat someone who is stronger? (assuming technique and conditioning were equal).

Likewise upper back strength, will it help in the clinch? Apparently (I don't do MT so I wouldn't know first hand). But is it as important as good leg strength? I'd guess not since the power you're putting into your kicks, punches, and knees is going to be more valuable than being really strong when you clinch. (assuming equal technique and conditioning).

gsp could only do 10 pullups a year ago?

I own that frenchy.

Pull ups strengthen the muscles used for tapping out :icon_chee

Seriously, grappling includes pulling unless there's been a rule change I'm not aware of.

I never said it wasn't important, I said it wasn't the MOST important thing in a fight. Sure having good grip strength helps, but if that's all you had do you think you could beat someone who is stronger? (assuming technique and conditioning were equal).

Likewise upper back strength, will it help in the clinch? Apparently (I don't do MT so I wouldn't know first hand). But is it as important as good leg strength? I'd guess not since the power you're putting into your kicks, punches, and knees is going to be more valuable than being really strong when you clinch. (assuming equal technique and conditioning).

I missed the part of your post where you said "doesn't make it unimportant" so my entire post was based on the assumption that you thought grip and upper back strength were unimportant.

You could be the best pullupper in the world, and still fight like crap.

Best to train to fight by practicing the actual skill of fighting.

Back