Platinum Deflation

It's a Conor McGregor hangover, just got wait it out till they tell us mma is dead and fuck off onto their next fad

Did Perry even have hype or was it just a bunch of 'X Fighter Bless' trolls?

Where you actually around for Vera hype though? People believed him when he said he was gonna be 2 division champ.

He could be 2 division champ, at OneC
He only needs the LHW belt which is in hands of Roger Gracie :D

Where you actually around for Vera hype though? People believed him when he said he was gonna be 2 division champ.

Oh man, I remember that! Knocks out mir and people thought he would hold 205 and 265 belts simultaneously! Goes on to lose his next ten fights and be totally irrelevant.

ufuel2_weighin_022.jpg

I hadn't seen him fight except for that boxing match on youtube that was posted. I was curious to see him fight from all the sherdog hype, but the nuthuggers are fucking idiots.

In that boxing vid he was schooled and knocked down. That vid was a year old. Then there was a vid where he is not getting along with his boxing coach on some basic technique, so obviously, he hasn't learned a goddamn thing in a year.

Both these vids were reposted over and over. I wonder how many other indications there were that he wasn't that good. The writing was on the wall, but diehard perry fans are just brain dead. Is normal I guess.

Has there any other guy in the UFC been given so much hype on Sherdog and turned out to be a flop? I can think back to when Shogun first fought in the UFC and got beat by Forrest Griffin. That doesn't count though because Shogun was Pride GP Champ and had a bum knee that night. Maybe Rogan going: "Houston Alexander IZ FOR REAAALLLL!!"?

Mike Perry seems to be this generation's Phil Baroni more than anything else. Is he even capable of throwing a kick? Does he have a blue belt in JJ at least?
Did you even watch the fight? He threw a few kicks right in the first 10 seconds

I hadn't seen him fight except for that boxing match on youtube that was posted. I was curious to see him fight from all the sherdog hype, but the nuthuggers are fucking idiots.

In that boxing vid he was schooled and knocked down. That vid was a year old. Then there was a vid where he is not getting along with his boxing coach on some basic technique, so obviously, he hasn't learned a goddamn thing in a year.

Both these vids were reposted over and over. I wonder how many other indications there were that he wasn't that good. The writing was on the wall, but diehard perry fans are just brain dead. Is normal I guess.
Why don't you go watch his MMA fights? "I wanted to see why mma fans were hoping him so I only watched his boxing match"

Go see what he did to lim and hot chocolate

Has there any other guy in the UFC been given so much hype on Sherdog and turned out to be a flop? I can think back to when Shogun first fought in the UFC and got beat by Forrest Griffin. That doesn't count though because Shogun was Pride GP Champ and had a bum knee that night. Maybe Rogan going: "Houston Alexander IZ FOR REAAALLLL!!"?

Mike Perry seems to be this generation's Phil Baroni more than anything else. Is he even capable of throwing a kick? Does he have a blue belt in JJ at least?
Cro Cop.

Shogun won the title later and Forrest was legit and also beat Rampage at least.

Sage Northtap

Yes the hype for him was ridiculous. I wish sherdog was just objective about his skills, excited but realistic. Now they have turned him into a joke or someone to root against. I wish perry all the best going forward and was going for him against jouban but he has work to do.
It was the Conor effect. Conor was the first mega mega superstar around here with just two UFC fights, Conor as saying he would be two division champ way before he as with UFC and people felt good hoping on the war wagon and seeing him win and win and win and win. People that even hated him wanted to find their own Conor, hence the Sage Bless thing and NorthGOAT talk.

But like I told people, Conor wasn't just a brawler (like Perry is), he was a heady, complete and analytical mixed martial artist, as evidence by the Holloway, Buchinger and Hill fights. He was showing us stuff in the cage that we had never seen before and as always thinking outside the box. He was already proven at an elite level before the UFC, Perry and Northcutt weren't proven against elite competition, did not come from elite camps (where rumors carry weight) and were just exciting KO artists.

This is why I always said, if you wanna hype someone, make it Lando. Lando comes from the best camp in the world, is said to be the greatest talent from Jacksons since JBJ, is proven against elite comp, has a super futuristic style, was training with Ido Portal 3 years before Conor, is a complete mixed martial artist, is super young and will 100% be champ one day.

The other guy to hype too was Khabib, if you are looking for future champs. Khabib, however, is a Russian Muslim that will just grapple fuck you, so I understand why people aren't as jazzed about him, with him not being a cutting edge KO artist. Like Lando tho, he comes from an elite camp and has long been rumored to rag doll guys three weight classes above him and proven in the gym long before he was proven in the UFC.

And the most amazing thing about Conor, Khabib and Lando is that they all fight in the same weight class. Heck, you could also throw Tony in there too and with that, we are possibly looking at MW boxing in the 80's, with Hagler, Hearns Leonard, Duran type talent all fighting each other. Without question, current lightweight is the most stacked division in MMA history and the landscape is just becoming clear.

Haha yeap... even after Conor was champ 90% of them fled when he lost to Diaz.

Perry hype would of been out of control if he won, is jouban ranked top 15-20?

It's weird I always thought it was a troll just watching perry fight as he was just a brawler and a laugh but I actually think some fans thought he was going to be a real contender.
Yah, I think alot of people haven't been following the evolution of MMA and conflated him with a young Wand. These people thought that if a young Wand, with his skillset, competed against the modern UFC roster that he would have been a two division champ. Perry, like Wand, was just super aggressive and a rock em sock em brawler. As you kinda point out, that style will get chewed up in the modern UFC with a guy that knows how to move and counter - the examples of this bull and matador style are limitless, from Ronda and Holly to Dillishaw vs Barao. After PMP got hit a few times, you saw that aggression was gone, and by the end of the fight, he was backing up and a total and complete shell of himself.

Yah, I think alot of people haven't been following the evolution of MMA and conflated him with a young Wand. These people thought that if a young Wand, with his skillset, competed against the modern UFC roster that he would have been a two division champ. Perry, like Wand, was just super aggressive and a rock em sock em brawler. As you kinda point out, that style will get chewed up in the modern UFC with a guy that knows how to move and counter - the examples of this bull and matador style are limitless, from Ronda and Holly to Dillishaw vs Barao. After PMP got hit a few times, you saw that aggression was gone, and by the end of the fight, he was backing up and a total and complete shell of himself.
Exactly, sooner or later someone was going to expose his weaknesses, that embedded episode where he got frustrated because he has zero head movement and was getting smashed in sparring so he quit showed his mentality.

He's a great bully but will quit once he started getting bullied, he can make improvements but he has so many holes I honestly don't see him ever being close to top 5.

I think his fans expected him to go a bit further than jouban though.

Sage was pretty bad but yeah the Platinum threads were insufferable. All the blingy white guys driving around in Mazda's, blaring JayZ will have to watch diff sport now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back