PJ Stock, George McPhee, Stan Jonathan or Wendel Clark - Out of these 4, who's the best fighter?

Out of these guys, who's the best fighter?

• Total voters
That's a pretty random list. There are quite a few great fighters under 6 ft. Not sure why only those four are being compared.

Btw name some more great fighters under 6ft. Besides Tie Domi and the guys I listed.

Being a Leafs fan who was born and raised in Saskatchewan, I gotta go with Wendel. Purely based on my biases. I was born the year after he was drafted and my dad would've named me Wendel if my mom hadn't said fuck no. I thank her for that.

No Probert, Domi, Twist, Brashear etc.?

This is a bum list.

You didn't read my OP properly, it's out of these 4 guys. Who's the best fighter? I'm not asking who's the best NHL fighter ever. Just these 4.

Bob Probert
Dave Brown
Behn Wilson

These 3 could easily be named as the best of all time. But they are all 6 feet or taller, so they don't qualify for this thread/poll.

Just the top of my head. I know I'm missing Domi, he definitely can hold his own for his size.

Btw name some more great fighters under 6ft. Besides Tie Domi and the guys I listed.

First just a heads up that anyone who's listed as 6'0" in the NHL is usually not 6'0". It's not surprising there are a lot of guys that magically ended up being 6'0" on the dot. No one wants their height starting with a "5" and teams often like to round up.

Anyways, Chris Nilan, Rob Ray, Joey Kocur, Rick Rypien, Cam Janssen, Jordin Tootoo etc were all listed as 6'0" or lower. There are also guys like Bobby Clarke who were definitely under 6'0" and could hold their own even though they didn't fight quite as much.

First just a heads up that anyone who's listed as 6'0" in the NHL is usually not 6'0". It's not surprising there are a lot of guys that magically ended up being 6'0" on the dot. No one wants their height starting with a "5".

Anyways, Chris Nilan, Rob Ray, Joey Kocur, Rick Rypien, Cam Janssen, Jordin Tootoo etc were all listed as 6'0" or lower. There are also guys like Bobby Clarke who were definitely under 6'0" and could hold their own even though they didn't fight quite as much.

Good names, but I'd say Chris NIlan. Rob Ray, Joey Kocur, and Cam Janssen are all 6 foot tall according to the stats. Respects to bringing up Jordin Tootoo and Rick Rypien. But I don't think they can hold a candle against the guys I mentioned.

Good names, but I'd say Chris NIlan. Rob Ray, Joey Kocur, and Cam Janssen are all 6 foot tall according to the stats. Respects to bringing up Jordin Tootoo and Rick Rypien. But I don't think they can hold a candle against the guys I mentioned.

It's up to you whether you want to believe those guys are all 6'0".

I can pretty much guarantee you those guys can hold their own lol. Rick Rypien handled absolute monsters and was willing to fight everyone. Tootoo wasn't that far behind.

Chara is a beast, but he has terrible balance. And he's 6'9", huge height advantage. Kinda overrated as a fighter imo.

I watched basically every game Chara ever played as a Bruin, can’t remember him ever losing a fight. And most guys wouldn’t try him. When he fought he usually was attacking someone for a bad hit or something.

It's up to you whether you want to believe those guys are all 6'0".

I can pretty much guarantee you those guys can hold their own lol. Rick Rypien handled absolute monsters and was willing to fight everyone. Tootoo wasn't that far behind.

No question about Rick Rypien heart and determination. I loved watching him, he was my favorite besides, Wendel Clark. But I think Rypien was more or less a middleweight than a guy who can take on legit HWs. He would lose to the 4 I mentioned on my OP imho.

Last edited:
No question about Rick Rypien heart and determination. I loved watching him, he was my favorite besides, Wendel Clark. But I think Rypien was more or less a middleweight than a guy who can take on legit HWs. He would lose to the 4 I mentioned on my OP.

I strongly disagree. Rypien would be a tough out for anyone. He beat a lot of solid HWs. It doesn't matter though. Your question was: "Btw name some more great fighters under 6ft." If you don't consider Rypien a great fighter then you're out of your mind.

I also noticed they have Chris Neil listed as 6'1".

<36>

I strongly disagree. Rypien would be a tough out for anyone. He beat a lot of solid HWs. It doesn't matter though. Your question was: "Btw name some more great fighters under 6ft." If you don't consider Rypien a great fighter then you're out of your mind.

<36>

I don't think he won against real legit HW's like Clark who beat Probert, George McPhee who held his own against Dave Brown. Stan Jonathan who held his own against Behn Wilson. And PJ Stock who fought legit HWs almost all the time.

Rypien usually fought MWs rather than HWs. The biggest HW he fought that he beat is Stortini, who isn't a great fighter. He's similar to Mike Peluso both lose a lot for HWs. Rypien doesn't have a major HW that he beat. He lost badly to Matt Carkner. And he did very well against Chris Neil. Neil is not that big HW imo. He's a very good fighter but I wouldn't put in the same category as Brashear or McGrattan.

Don't get me wrong I love Rypien, but he fought mostly his weight class and fought bigger guys that weren't very good. Hal Gill is one of them a 6'7" guy who wasn't a legit fighter really.

<36>

Oh yeah I'll give you this he did fight Cam Janssen and did very well against him. But he's not really a monster HW like a Brashear or McGrattan that fought in Rypien era.

I don't think he won against real legit HW's like Clark who beat Probert, George McPhee who held his own against Dave Brown. Stan Jonathan who held his own against Behn Wilson. And PJ Stock who fought legit HWs almost all the time.

Rypien usually fought MWs rather than HWs. The biggest HW he fought that he beat is Stortini, who isn't a great fighter. He's similar to Mike Peluso both lose a lot for HWs. Rypien doesn't have a major HW that he beat. He lost badly to Matt Carkner. And he did very well against Chris Neil. Neil is not that big HW imo. He's a very good fighter but I wouldn't put in the same category as Brashear or McGrattan.

Don't get me wrong I love Rypien, but he fought mostly his weight class and fought bigger guys that weren't very good. Hal Gill is one of them a 6'7" guy who wasn't a legit fighter really.

Dave Brown was ~ 220 lbs. Chris Neil was about 215 to 220 lbs. Behn Wilson was 220 lbs. Zack Stortini was decent enough and was ~230 lbs. You're all over the place. You're also ignoring the fact that HWs got bigger as time went on.

At this point you're just arguing nonsense to defend limiting your poll to those four people. Hell, George McPhee weighed less than Rick Rypien. It's laughable that you consider Rypien a MW who fought HWs but McPhee isn't. They both fought much bigger guys.

Dave Brown was ~ 220 lbs. Chris Neil was about 215 to 220 lbs. Behn Wilson was 220 lbs. Zack Stortini was decent enough and was ~230 lbs. You're all over the place. You're also ignoring the fact that HWs got bigger as time went on.

At this point you're just arguing nonsense to defend limiting your poll to those four people. Hell, George McPhee weighed less than Rick Rypien. It's laughable that you consider Rypien a MW who fought HWs but McPhee isn't. They both fought much bigger guys.

Dave Brown is one of the best fighters of all time. Behn Wilson too. Stortini or Neil are not even close to those guys levels of ability and toughness. Doesn't matter if they got bigger, doesn't matter the size. You can be 7 feet tall and 280 lbs and not be a great fighter. It's all comes down to ability and toughness like I said.

Did you go to Hockeyfights.com forums back when they were still available? Dave Brown and Behn Wilson and Probert are considered the top 3 greatest fighters in the NHL ever by those guys on there. Those are the name mentioned almost all the time.

And what do you mean limiting my poll to four people? I'm talking about guys under 6 foot who could take on guys like Brown, Probert, Behn Wilson. Rypien is tough, but he never fought a true legit HW that was ranked in the top 5 or even the top 10 in his era. Those guys mentioned did.

Just a reminder this is not a poll about who is the greatest fighters are in the NHL. That would be Dave Brown, Bob Probert and Behn Wilson.

As for McPhee he fought tougher guys than Rypien ever did.

Anyways, it's all good. We could agree to disagree. I'm cool with that. : - )

Dave Brown is one of the best fighters of all time. Behn Wilson too. Stortini or Neil are not even close to those guys levels of ability and toughness. Doesn't matter if they got bigger, doesn't matter the size. You can be 7 feet tall and 280 lbs and not be a great fighter. It's all comes down to ability and toughness like I said.

Did you go to Hockeyfights.com forums back when they were still available? Dave Brown and Behn Wilson and Probert are considered the top 3 greatest fighters in the NHL ever by those guys on there. Those are the name mentioned almost all the time.

And what do you mean limiting my poll to four people? I'm talking about guys under 6 foot who could take on guys like Brown, Probert, Behn Wilson. Rypien is tough, but he never fought a true legit HW that was ranked in the top 5 or even the top 10 in his era. Those guys mentioned did.

Just a reminder this is not a poll about who is the greatest fighters are in the NHL. That would be Dave Brown, Bob Probert and Behn Wilson.

As for McPhee he fought tougher guys than Rypien ever did.

Anyways, it's all good. We could agree to disagree. I'm cool with that. : - )

I see what the problem is, you're stuck thinking that the guys from the 80s and early 90s were bigger (and better) fighters than they actually are. These are some of the best guys McPhee fought:

Dave Brown: 220 lbs
John Kordic: 220 lbs
Dale Hunter: 200 lbs
Rick Tocchet: 210 lbs
etc.

Rypien fought guys of similar size who were also some of the toughest guys at that size at the time:

Zack Stortini: 230 lbs
Cam Janssen: 215 lbs
Chris Neil: 210 lbs
Cody McLeod: 205 lbs
Dan Carcillo: 205 lbs
etc.

There's not much difference. Asking Rypien to fight Brashear (lol) while guys like McPhee never fought anyone that size and never competed in a league with guys like Laraque, Brashear, Chara etc who were absolutely massive and tough as hell is laughable.

We can always agree to disagree but I'd also bet money on Rypien beating McPhee if they ever fought.

Back