Phillip K. Dick or Stephen King

By his own admission, Stephen King is the literary equivalent of a Big Mac. I just read his 1963 book not too long ago. It actually started out fairly well for the first 300 pages, then turned to utter shit. The sex scenes were some of the most hilariously awful pieces of writing I've ever come across.

Dick is a much, much better writer. And has better adaptions as well. Although King has had movies made based on his works which are a lot better than his literature actually is. Stuff like The Mist is cool stuff. No Total Recall, though.

kubrick doing the shining was a masterpiece

Kubrick's directing was, and some scenes....like the one at the bar are absolutely fantastic....but that whole telepathic bit between the kid and the black guy just come across as cheesy. And not cool cheesy, just cheesy.

Last edited:
Minority Report and The Adjustment Bureau do it for me.

It actually started out fairly well for the first 300 pages, then turned to utter shit.

Most Stephen King books are like that. Endings are his weak point.

That is why the Dark Tower Series is his best work. It just never ends.

The last two books are by far the worst though.

Kubrick's directing was, and some scenes....like the one at the bar are absolutely fantastic....but that whole telepathic bit between the kid and the black guy just come across as cheesy. And not cool cheesy, just cheesy.

are you serious? the movie is called the fucking shining

the reason the hotel wants Danny is because he has this special power

the hotel is actually thriving on leeching this power off danny

are you serious? the movie is called the fucking shining

the reason the hotel wants Danny is because he has this special power

the hotel is actually thriving on leeching this power off danny

uhhhh, Yeah. I know the movie The Shining which I am talking about is called The Shining. I know about Danny's power and the hotel. It was cheesy.

Fantastically directed and some scenes are great, but that whole bit wasn't my thing. Just an opinion, browski.

"What's the name of two authors who have had a novel unfaithfully adapted into a superior movie by a brilliant directors, yet still detested the result?"

I'll take Weird Typewriters for 600, Alex.

Dick is by far the better writer, and because of Blade Runner, he clinches the "Best Movie Adaption" award as well. Several of the King adaption transcends his own work, which is pretty rare. Probably because his litterary skills doesn't really match his imagination, and because doesn't have enough of a filter.

Oh, yeah. This as well. I haven't read any King in a decade, but I still remember being frustrated with how he tried to round things off. I guess he couldn't have been quite so prolific if he didn't cut some corners here and there.

I still remember how mad I was when I read The Stand and got to the end and the hand of God came down to smite Randall Flagg.

What a lame cop out, wrap-it-up ending.

Back