Phillip K. Dick or Stephen King

Well -pick your dystopic author -I can name a few others to -but yeah your right too.

Well yea, except the story was blatantly plagiarizing his work and he sued the production company and got a huge settlement. It's also the reason why he gets mentioned in the movie's credits now.

Well yea, except the story was blatantly plagiarizing his work and he sued the production company and got a huge settlement. It's also the reason why he gets mentioned in the movie's credits now.

haha -didn't realize that it had gotten him on the credits or a settlement,

reading about it now

did no one like A Scanner Darkly?

I feel like that is being overlooked in this thread I really liked that movie adaption though I haven't read the book yet.

I feel like that is being overlooked in this thread I really liked that movie adaption though I haven't read the book yet.

Great movie. It stayed truer to the source material than any other PKD adaptation, definitely read the book though. In fact read all of PKD's books. I'd recommend The Man in the High Castle, Flow My Tears the Policeman Said, Valis, and of course, A Scanner Darkly.

Great movie. It stayed truer to the source material than any other PKD adaptation, definitely read the book though. In fact read all of PKD's books. I'd recommend The Man in the High Castle, Flow My Tears the Policeman Said, Valis, and of course, A Scanner Darkly.

This

Really love The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch as well

I thought it was great. Captured the perpetual feeling of paranoia throughout and had great casting. Loved Downey Jr. as Barris.

Overall very faithful to the book, although I think the endings are different. Can't remember atm.

Read The Man in the High Castle, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and I am currently reading Valis.

I'll have to check out Flow My Tears and A Scanner Darkly soon :)

really?? only good king movies I can think of are the shining, Carrie, and pet semetary. cujo and Christine were ok. It was only good the first half. sometimes they come back was horrible.

Did you not see Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Silver Bullet, or Misery?

Dick actually hated Blade Runner.

I like all the adaptions of his books though. Except maybe Minority Report.

King hated The Shining, but those two movies are some of the greatest in their categories.

They're supposed to be workin on a film adaptation of The Stand, possible trilogy

Interesting, never saw the tv series. Isn't IT supposed to be getting a similar deal done?

They are my two favorite authors ever!!!

Blade Runner, based on a PKD book, is my favorite film, but I have to go with King in the movie department.

The thing is, with movies based on PKD books, they are "loosely" based on his books for the most part. If you read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and We Can Remember It for You Wholesale, you're going to be in for a pretty different experience then watching Blade Runner and Total Recall. I remember reading that 'Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said' is going to be made into a film and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it's handled (very good book!!!!)

With King, the films (or TV mini-series) follow his books pretty close (besides Kubrick's version of The Shining). Stand By Me was a great adaptation of The Body, the same with The Stand, Shawshank Redemtion, Hearts in Atlantis, The Green Mile, Misery, among many others.

There have only been a couple movies that I really liked based on PKD's work, but with King there have been a ton.

Last edited:
Did you not see Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Silver Bullet, or Misery?

seen em all but silver bullet doesnt belong with those movies. yea it was good and i love it as a horror movies but it doesnt compare to stand by me or shawshank

They are my two favorite authors ever!!!

Blade Runner, based on a PKD book, is my favorite film, but I have to go with King in the movie department.

The thing is, with movies based on PKD books, they are "loosely" based on his books for the most part. If you read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and We Can Remember It for You Wholesale, you're going to be in for a pretty different experience then watching Blade Runner and Total Recall. I remember reading that 'Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said' is going to be made into a film and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it's handled (very good book!!!!)

With King, the films (or TV mini-series) follow his books pretty close (besides Kubrick's version of The Shining). Stand By Me was a great adaptation of The Body, the same with The Stand, Shawshank Redemtion, Hearts in Atlantis, The Green Mile, Misery, among many others.

There have only been a couple movies that I really liked based on PKD's work, but with King there have been a ton.

Damn, I came in here to say this. Blade runner is awesome but I just re-read Do Androids dream of Electric sheep and immediately re-watched Blade Runner, and it is one hell of a loose adaptation. Quick question, I've read a handful of pkd books and really enjoyed them. What book is Minority Report inspired by?

Damn, I came in here to say this. Blade runner is awesome but I just re-read Do Androids dream of Electric sheep and immediately re-watched Blade Runner, and it is one hell of a loose adaptation. Quick question, I've read a handful of pkd books and really enjoyed them. What book is Minority Report inspired by?

The Minority Report film kept the same name as the story. It was a short-story and not released as a book on its own.

You can find it in Vol. 4 of the 'Collected Stories of PKD'. There was a book released for it on its own, after the movie came out, but don't buy it!!! It was printed sorta like 'House of Leaves', but failed in every aspect and it's just a mess to read. They basically tried to turn a 30+ page story into a 100+ page book to cash in on the movie.

The 'Collected Stories' series are usually pretty cheap on amazon, besides Vol. 1 which must have went out of print.

Thanks for the info brother. For Christmas I just got the Library of America Philip K Dick Collection which has:

The Man in the High Castle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back