Phillip K. Dick or Stephen King

Gotta take King. He's got a lot more material, so he's got a lot more shit was well.

Stand By Me is King as well.

Agree I'm more of a PKD fan but while King has way more crap produced from his writing, his best stuff is tops.

King
Stand by Me is GOAT.
Shining is amazing
Pet Cemetary, Green Mile, and Running Man were great
Langoliers could have been amazing if they put enough into it as a film instead of miniseries. Somebody needs to redo it.

PKD
Blade Runner is a masterpiece
Total Recall (original) was fun (2012 was meh)
Minority Report is grosely underrated
Haven't seen Adjustment Bureau (Matt Damon film)
-also the Terminator is directly lifted from PKD.

Forgot about Running Man. Great flick.

i think dicks got decent adaptations....king has absolutely horrible adaptions

The Shining, Green Mile and Shawshank were good, but the majority of King's adaptations are horrendous.

Whaaaat? King wrote Shawshank too? I had no idea.

I always thought Green Mile was him trying to rip-off Shawshank.

Now I feel bad.

The Shining, Green Mile and Shawshank were good, but the majority of King's adaptations are horrendous.

seriously -you are making sense here

- but how do you leave off Stand by Me -the film is on another level for adaptations of Kings.

The Shining's brilliance is as much or more attributable to Kubrick as King -but King's brilliance shines through in Stand by Me.

Whaaaat? King wrote Shawshank too? I had no idea.

I always thought Green Mile was him trying to rip-off Shawshank.

Now I feel bad.

here's the twist for you...

Shawshank, Green Mile and Stand by Me are from the same Steven King book.

EDIT: whoops. I'm wrong Shawshank, Stand by me, and APT PUPIL are from the same book.

My eighties memories are sucking.

Last edited:

Well, that makes a lot of sense.

I feel seriously embarrassed. I've been talking shit about King ripping off Shawshank for years haha.

fuuuuuuck

edit: still waiting for The Long Walk to be adapted and for a version of the Running Man that is closer to the novel.

In terms of who is the better writer I personally feel Philip K. Dick is leagues above Stephen King. He is my favorite Science Fiction writer by the way.

As for film adaptions I'd have to say the Stephen King ones are much better save for Blade Runner which is on par with The Shining and Shawshank Redemption. I know that Philip didn't much like Blade Runner and King hated The Shining movie adaption so he decided to do a miniseries of it himself as a more faithful adaption.

So all in all
Writing = Philip K Dick
Movie Adaptions = King

Well, that makes a lot of sense.

I feel seriously embarrassed. I've been talking shit about King ripping off Shawshank for years haha.

I read Different Seasons in the early eighties. by the time Shawshank came out -I didn't even remember that it was a Steven King story until about 3/4 through the film I started thinking that there was something strangely familiar about this -after the film i had to look it up.

Back