Social Philadelphia yanks 72 cops off the streets...

The 'evidence' posted in the article is 100% legal.

15016338-7160643-A_Philadelphia_based_organization_called_the_Plain_View_Project_-a-14_1561147319614.jpg

15016346-7160643-St_Louis_police_are_conducting_an_internal_investigation_into_al-a-30_1561004681368.jpg

You might hate it, but it is protected.

Just want to point out this is not a Philly cop, this is from. St. Louis cop where a similar story is unfolding.

Also a cop publicly posting that Islam is a hate group and not a religion in a city where 9% of the population follows Islam is unacceptable

Also a cop publicly posting that Islam is a hate group and not a religion in a city where 9% of the population follows Islam is unacceptable
By what measure? Please be specific.

For exercising one's first amendment rights?

That's a moronic way to look at it.

According to Wiki, Muslims make up almost 10% of Philly's population. If you're a Muslim living in Philly and you're paying taxes like everyone else to go towards a police force that is supposed to keep you safe, why should you have to feel the anxiety that if you call them in a time of need you're going to get someone who has publicly demonstrated that they have hard feelings against Muslims and Islam as a religion? Sorry, you don't get to be a cop.

It's still amazing to me how many people think "first amendment, maaaaaan" gives you carte blanche to say whatever you want without consequence. It doesn't work like that. When you become a cop, there are a ton of codes of conduct you're expected to follow. I imagine "don't discriminate against people due to their religion" is one of them.

Things can be "legal" to say - as in you won't be charged, and still be against the guidelines of your occupation. I can legally go on Facebook right now and tear down my company, shit talk my boss, etc. The cops aren't going to come. But I may not have a job tomorrow. That's the real world.

The Islam thing goes over the line, but I don't see any problem with smashing Black Lives Matter. That's a group, not a race. And it's a group that routinely has a hard on for cops.

But yeah, if you're publicly classifying Muslims as being part of a "hate group", you probably shouldn't be on the force. Why should a Muslim family, who are paying taxes like everyone else, have to call cops at their time of need and worry that they may get someone responding who thinks their in a "hate group"?
Not to mention that in my experience most people who would be willing to put their name on such a post aren't exactly nuanced when it comes to the difference between a Muslim, a irreligious Middle Eastern person, or even people like Sikhs. That's usually my problem with these posts. Racism is a problem, stupidity runs deeper.

It's still amazing to me how many people think "first amendment, maaaaaan" gives you carte blanche to say whatever you want without consequence. It doesn't work like tha
You are correct... it doesn't. But it protects us from our government infringing on our liberty.

The whole hate speech argument is moronic.

I assume liberals would never care about nonwhite police officers saying the same stuff about white people.

Juries should already not believe anything a cop says.
If we are being soberly rational cops have a far superior track record for credibility versus perps.

Proportion.

You are correct... it doesn't. But it protects us from our government infringing on our liberty.

So how does that sentiment apply here? Please be specific. Keep in mind that "government shall not infringe" does not apply to firing government/crown corporation workers for violating employment code of conducts.

I have a friend who works for the provincial government, and one of the conditions of his job is that he stay politically neutral. Obviously he has his own political views and votes a certain way, but he's not allowed to publicly support/campaign for one party or the other, because his job involves providing equal service to all parties. It's just part of the gig.

Reads like you're assigning a value set as legitimately "hateful" based on the amount of people that believe it here.

Partisan?

As for credibility, you're a cop defending cops.

the-wire-gif-1.gif
Partisan as in prejudiced. And I’m defending individuals to be judged on a case by case basis. I don’t defend shitty cops, and I never have.

Props for using a cop gif tho. Did you notice mine is the guy from Super Troopers? Lol

Not to mention that in my experience most people who would be willing to put their name on such a post aren't exactly nuanced when it comes to the difference between a Muslim, a irreligious Middle Eastern person, or even people like Sikhs. That's usually my problem with these posts. Racism is a problem, stupidity runs deeper.

Yeah and even just getting past the ethical implications of sharing something like that, it shows a complete lack of judgement that, IMO, is not befitting of someone in law enforcement.

If we are being soberly rational cops have a far superior track record for credibility versus perps.

Proportion.

For sure, almost by definition. Does that put the testimony of the officer beyond a reasonable doubt?

<28>

Proportion.

Perps... or the accused? I'm not sure on the numbers but that's already iffy without considering our overly-criminalized legal system.

Back