Phil Davis: Jon Jones would lose "badly" to Cain Velasquez (and other heavyweights)

Fighter123

Brown Belt
Reaction score
After UFC 182, Jon Jones made the following statement: "I would fight Cain Velasquez in a heartbeat. I really would!"

But Phil Davis thinks that Jones would not fare well against Velasquez (or some other heavyweights).

"You know, [Jon Jones] is welcome to try his hand at [moving up to heavyweight]," said Davis. "Part of me wants him to see how badly he would lose at heavyweight. ... Cain Velasquez would completely change his mind about being a heavyweight."

Your thoughts?

I agree

Only the Top 5 I believe would give him problems though

Phil, remember when you were right in line for a title shot at Jones and then got your ass handed to you by Rumble?

I do.

Clearly. He has been struggling to get guys down who aren't natural mw's, so he's resorted to using his size advantage and holding them against the fence; that shit wouldn't fly vs most hw's.

remember the last time you talked about jon before your fight, phil

Too many people drinking the Jim Jones Kool-aid.

That's the smartest thing I've heard Davis say.

He would do well at HW, but he would not have a chance vs Cain. Not a chance!

Phil should spend a little more time focusiing on his own game.

Phil should let go of Jones nuts..

Also, Jones just beat a top 5 HW who many said would be the HW champ if it were not for Cain.

If only fighter bashing were allowed :(

I'd bash the hell outa phil

I dunno man, the goat in female testosterone level mode is one serious mofo. Long as he keeps that T level that low, he'd probably clean out HW.

Phil should let go of Jones nuts..

Also, Jones just beat a top 5 HW who many said would be the HW champ if it were not for Cain.

Pretty much this. I don't understand how someone saw that and thought to themselves, yeah, Jones wouldn't do shit at HW.

They would be harder to TD, but how many HWs have amazing ground games and are known for popping right back up after a TD? There's like three. If Jones got one of those tubby bastards down, it would be five minutes of hellbows until the ref or the bell saved them.

brock-lesnar.jpg

Rogan- "How do you think you'd do in a cage fight with Jon at HW"

Schuab- "I think you'd be suprised"

Rogan- "I think you'd be suprised, I think he'd fuck you up"

In the arms of an angel....

He's gonna wait till Cain's 35 or whenever he starts to slow down before moving up to HW.

Remember when Davis said Jones wouldn't even show up to fight Glover? Then Davis gets his ass handed to him by Rumble. Can't remember why Davis doesn't like Jones, maybe it is because Jones edged out a victory against his BFF. Davis constantly on Jones is relatively a new thing as of the last couple of years. It just kind of came out of nowhere when Gus lost.

Saying he'd fight Cain and actually doing it are two completely different things. I'd like to see the match-up. We have weight divisions for a reason, and people need to remember that. This isn't Anderson Silva going up in weight to murder Forrest, Irvin, or Bonnar. This is the HW champion of the world. A world class murderer in his own right.

Back