Phil Davis: Jon Jones would lose "badly" to Cain Velasquez (and other heavyweights)

"You know, [Jon Jones] is welcome to try his hand at [moving up to heavyweight]," said Davis. "Part of me wants him to see how badly he would lose at heavyweight. ... Cain Velasquez would completely change his mind about being a heavyweight."

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that it sounds like Davis realizes the only chance of anyone not-named Jon Jones touching that belt is if Jon Jones leaves the division.

Boy is still buttdevastated that Rumble put tips all over him.

His whole teq is made to dominate smaller opponents, same with his TDD. It's not that Gus is a better fighter but big guys is a problem to Jones.

Completely untrue. Gus is a problem because he's Gus. Jones had no problems with Vera, O'brien, and Bonnar. They were all bigger than Jones. Bonnar was tossed around like a ragdoll. O'brien, a former heavyweight and a wrestler was stuffed like a Turkey on Thanksgiving day, and Vera to Jones was probably like Jones tossing his wife around in bed. Gus is just that good. He's fast, slippery (as in, you can't get a hold of him), and is a good boxer. And he's big... So it's more than just being big, you got to have the tools or you end up on the hightlight reel as another comically embarrassed victim of Jones.

Yeah, I've been scratching my head wondering why lots of people have been saying Jones would get destroyed by the top five. He just defeated DC without being put in any bad positions.

I think Bones would do better than everyone thinks.

People keep posting this but they don't realize or don't care that Jones fought a HW that cut to 205.. Big difference!

People keep posting this but they don't realize or don't care that Jones fought a HW that cut to 205.. Big difference!

its weird.
Jones has beat guys that have fought at MW and moved up to LHW, and those guys are regarded by many as MW.

Jones beat the #2 HW who has moved down to LHW, and that's somehow irrelevant?

After UFC 182, Jon Jones made the following statement: "I would fight Cain Velasquez in a heartbeat. I really would!"

But Phil Davis thinks that Jones would not fare well against Velasquez (or some other heavyweights).

"You know, [Jon Jones] is welcome to try his hand at [moving up to heavyweight]," said Davis. "Part of me wants him to see how badly he would lose at heavyweight. ... Cain Velasquez would completely change his mind about being a heavyweight."

Your thoughts?

If Randy Couture can be successful at HW, I think JJ can. HW is shallow as fuck. I think Phil is wrong that Jones can't hang at all. Would he be champ? Never know, but he could definitely fill a spot in the UFC HW division and win some big fights. Who knows how he'd change as a fighter if he bulked up, didn't need to cut or diet so much during camps as well. He might end up being a beast at HW.

Back