Phil Davis: Jon Jones would lose "badly" to Cain Velasquez (and other heavyweights)

Rogan- "How do you think you'd do in a cage fight with Jon at HW"

Schuab- "I think you'd be suprised"

Rogan- "I think you'd be suprised, I think he'd fuck you up"

In the arms of an angel....

What's the source of this? One of their podcasts I assume, if so which one is it?

He just beat a HW, a guy everyone said would throw Jones around because he threw HWs around.

He just beat a HW, a guy everyone said would throw Jones around because he threw HWs around.

At lhw...i.e. cormier was smaller than he'd ever been when he fought at hw. Relevance? He'd probably beat most hw's if they starved themselves to fight at 205.

how many HWs have amazing ground games

Werdum (obviously) and Mir. Josh is the current Metamoris champ.

Nog had a great guard back in the day. Oleynik (apologies for spelling) has a great sub game. Gonzaga is a Mundials champ. Overeem was very dynamic on the ground at one time; I suspect those skills are still there.

Schaub is very good, his terrible Metamoris match notwithstanding. Even Nelson is a pretty high-level BJJ black belt.

and are known for popping right back up after a TD?

Cain and JDS and Overeem. Hunt recently. Cormier couldn't keep Barnett down, if I recall correctly.

Have we ever seen Stipe pinned for any length of time? I don't think so. Ditto for Browne.

Werdum doesn't pop up, but why would he when the mat is his world?

Last edited:
What's the source of this? One of their podcasts I assume, if so which one is it?

It's a misquote, not sure what that poster was trying to get at. Actual quote was:

Joe: How do you think you'd do against Cain Velasquez in wrestling?
Schaub: Just wrestling?
Joe: Just wrestling.
Schaub: I think people would be surprised.
Joe: Really? I think you'd be surprised. I think he'd fuck you up.

It's not about Jon but if he wrestled Cain. I just mixed shit up a bit. There is a vid on YouTube titled "Joe Rogan breaks down Brendan Schuab" that is 7 minutes and funny as hell.

Loins care not for the opinions of sheep.

With the proper transition to a larger frame ~235-240 lean Jones will be a beast at HW. Not sure if he could beat the limitless gas tank Cain but gee wizz people he will be very very good

My first thought is Phil talks about Jones an awful lot.

As far as his opinion, I think Cain beats Jones because weight classes exist for a reason. My opinion of JJ at HW did go up with his fight with DC.

Jones beat Gus and Dc by decision in relatively close fights. He isn't going to beat Cain, who according to the commercial can't beat ronda.

jones has shown a surprisingly strong chin. i dont think he's at any disadvantage in that department moving up. no one should be taking a whole lot of direct hits at hw.

with someone like werdum its the skill vs skill not the size that would determine the outcome.

he might catch a L like everyone else at heavyweight, but is he gonna be in over his head? no.

i'd say he'd be top 5

My thoughts are that Mrs. Johnson should mind her business. I don't see her moving up to fight any HWs.

A scheduled Jones vs Cain bout, would most likely end with Jones standing victorious ........

of course it would be over whomever filled in last minute for an injured Cain

Yep because Cain has been tearing it up lately. lol

I'm confident Jones could beat guys like Nelson and Hunt. Guys like Werdum and JDS would give him legit problems.

The Cormier fight should have dispelled the notion that Jones would get murked by comparatively less skilled heavyweights. But I do agree Cain would do a number on him.

Back