Phil Davis: Jon Jones would lose "badly" to Cain Velasquez (and other heavyweights)

Shut up Phil you just got beaten by a WW

The argument was that DC would out wrestle and rag doll Jones because he trains with Cain and is an Olympic wrestler...

After the fight, DC is overrated, was never a good HW; plus Jones would suck at HW even though he just out muscled the #2 HW.

Love Shertards.

The Cormier fight should have dispelled the notion that Jones would get murked by comparatively less skilled heavyweights. But I do agree Cain would do a number on him.

What number?

Cain got taken down by Cheick Kongo of all people.

DC couldn't get Jones down to save his life.

Jones has all the advantage he had against DC against Cain.

Cain would get sonn'd just like DC did.

Not so sure considering he just beat an undefeated HW who has better wrestling than the whole division.

Phil Davis is probably not even a top5 LHW. Jones is better than Phil Davis could ever dream.

Jones would beat Phil with ease.

He'd be much slower and less dynamic with the extra weight. He might gain more punching power but not nearly enough.

Phil may be on to something...but he may not be, considering that DC was a HW champion.

Crowned over in SF who (at the time, according to Sherdog) had the best HW division in MMA. Fedor, Reem, Werdum, Barnett, and Bigfoot were all in that Grand Prix. DC was at the very least a legit HW.

After UFC 182, Jon Jones made the following statement: "I would fight Cain Velasquez in a heartbeat. I really would!"

But Phil Davis thinks that Jones would not fare well against Velasquez (or some other heavyweights).

"You know, [Jon Jones] is welcome to try his hand at [moving up to heavyweight]," said Davis. "Part of me wants him to see how badly he would lose at heavyweight. ... Cain Velasquez would completely change his mind about being a heavyweight."

Your thoughts?

Daniel Cormier is the number 2 heavyweight. Jon would lose badly. Go figure.

Phil is just trying to goad Jones in to moving up. He knows he has no shot at even sniffing a title otherwise. If Jones moved up, and left LHW vacant, Davis might get a pity shot.

Phil is just trying to goad Jones in to moving up. He knows he has no shot at even sniffing a title otherwise. If Jones moved up, and left LHW vacant, Davis might get a pity shot.

Davis needs like 3-4 guys to move out of the division to have a shot of winning the LHW title. lol

Clearly. He has been struggling to get guys down who aren't natural mw's, so he's resorted to using his size advantage and holding them against the fence; that shit wouldn't fly vs most hw's.

Cormier was ranked number 2 at HW by some, dude just got beaten down by jones.
Cain is one thing but the rest of the HW's aren't safe.

only HW's i see giving Jones problems are Cain,Doom and JDS im pretty damn sure Jones would dispatch everyone else

He'd be much slower and less dynamic with the extra weight. He might gain more punching power but not nearly enough.

10 pounds on his legs, 5 up top, mainly muscle, isn't going to affect his movement or speed so badly. His nickname is bones for Christ sake, his frame could easily handle some added weight.

I would say I agree vs Cain and JDS......but everyone else?? I think Jones has a good shot to beat any other HW

I am not sure about Jones at HW. His cardio isn't as good as some give him credit for. Because of his size he can control the center of the ring, limiting his movements while his opponents are constantly circling the outside and usually expending twice the effort and energy as Jones. He was hurting after the Gus fight and Gus was on the outside moving two or three times as much as Jones.

I think Cain would be pressuring him and keeping him off that center route that limits his movement, and with the constant pressure of attacking, I am not sure Jones cardio would last through that. Then again, maybe.

I don't think Jones at HW would be easy meat for anyone but I am not sure he would ever get the belt. We would have to see how he fares at a larger frame.

Who cares what a hater has to say? Phil Davis is a scrub compared to Jones.

Back