Economy Pharmaceutical giant to charge $3,000 for $10 coronavirus treatment despite massive public subsidies

An expectation that bio tech companies who invest billions to develop life saving medicine should be giving products away rather than return value to shareholder and pay off R&D costs is insane.

One of the many reasons we are living longer is because there is incentive for innovation.
I get that there is a line, but the profit margins do not justify your stance. Medicine, as a human endeavour should not be a tool of mass profit in a sustainable society.

I hope this doesn't devolve to the typical Ayn Rand shit....

I get that there is a line, but the profit margins do not justify your stance. Medicine, as a human endeavour should not be a tool of mass profit in a sustainable society.

That's a different discussion. You can't price fix on the back end and not on the front end. When it costs $400K+ in private loans to become a Doctor you can't then tell them to work for free.

In spirit, yes, I wish all men and women cared about their fellow man to the point they would give up profits in times like this. The data I've seen is that there is a good chance that Gilead won't make anywhere near typical margins due to the time period and cost of the medicine. The R&D costs alone were 100s of millions.

On the surface it sounds like a lot of money. If it in fact reduces hospital stays like Gilead claims by as much as 12 days it is a HUGE saving and value to the consumer.

I don't demonize business for the sake of demonizing.

Of the 10 most profitable industries in the US you have hospitals at number 4 and health & medical insurance at number 6. That's fucking insane.

I dont like this tho

Live saving drugs that are newly invented should cost me the same as a mcdonald's happy meal

Because I said so
yeah the purpose of life saving drugs should definitely be about making billions and maximizing quarterly profits, not you know, saving lives.

"PLEASE BIG PHARMA, CUCK ME, CUCK MY NATION, CUCK MY NEIGHBORHOOD, LITERALLY DOMINATE EVERYTHING PHARMA DADDY!"

Last edited:
That sucks too. Everything sucks. Put something in government hands? Our government is about as efficient as boiling a lake to create a steam power plant.
The data from the many other countries who have it would seem to indicate, that it is at least much better than the US system. So at least that's something.

The data from the many other countries who have it would seem to indicate, that it is at least much better than the US system. So at least that's something.

Yeah, I only know about USA.

An unscientific take: There seems to be very powerful contingents of people who profit from making sure things don't work very well. Nothing actually happens here. Lip service to keep the idiot masses distracted, and meanwhile the big dogs steal more pie. We are fucked. There's just no chance of anything substantive happening here any time soon. Smoke and mirrors, steal pie, smoke and mirrors, steal pie, repeat

That sucks too. Everything sucks. Put something in government hands? Our government is about as efficient as boiling a lake to create a steam power plant.
Okay? Well unless you have a better idea, a Universal healthcare system is still the best option we have. At least with Universal healthcare, everyone would be covered and they wouldn't have to pay out the ass in medical bills and for medicine.

yeah the purpose of life saving drugs should definitely be about making billions and maximizing quarterly profits, not you know, saving lives.

imagine what a brain dead, low life, low class, dipshit you would have to be to think like this.

"PLEASE BIG PHARMA, CUCK ME, CUCK MY NATION, CUCK MY NEIGHBORHOOD, LITERALLY DOMINATE EVERYTHING PHARMA DADDY!"
It's better that we make certain industries illegal to make profit from

Yea man, the for-profit medical industrial complex is a soulless institution that puts profits over the well-being of human beings. Big Pharma looks to make the most possible money at the expense of people's health.....except in the case of the industry that has exploded in the last decade around "transgender" children and teens. In that case the pharmaceutical companies are simply a benign force making dreams come true, motivated not by profit but by the Right Side Of History. Why, if you even question any aspect of this phenomenon and the corporate involvement in it, you are a terrible Nazi who shouldn't be able to be employed. But yea, other than that one aspect Big Pharma is evil.

This is for Remdesivir? Didn't early testing show it to not be very beneficial if at all? I have not followed it closely since then.

This is for Remdesivir? Didn't early testing show it to not be very beneficial if at all? I have not followed it closely since then.

They showed that it reduced recovery time for patients receiving oxygen by average 4 days over a placebo control, but no significant difference to mortality. 4 days is something, and especially with the complications that can occur in hospitalised covid patients, but its not a wonder drug by any means. I did read though that Gilead are developing a formulation for children, and that it is likely that the drug is also going to be widely administered for milder cases so there will be probably be some over-prescription:

"Wall Street analysts view the price points as “reasonable” and “in line with expectations,” though SVB Leerink’s Geoffrey Porges said he had previously expected a U.S. price that was 75% higher than the Medicare price and 33% higher than the commercial health insurance price. Still, he’s bullish at wider spread use of remdesivir among less severely ill COVID-19 patients, as well. In the U.S., physicians can prescribe drugs “off-label” at their discretion.

At this price we expect routine adoption of remdesivir for almost all moderate to severe COVID patients in the U.S.,” he wrote in a note to investors.

Gilead is also running clinical trials for an inhaled version of remdesivir and for its use in children."
(Marketwatch)

Last edited:
They're just living the american dream, baby! Why do you hate freedom?

Where does it say it's a ten dollar drug? Decadron is ten bucks. Are you conflating the two?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back