Economy Pharmaceutical giant to charge $3,000 for $10 coronavirus treatment despite massive public subsidies

And this is why we need to all forget about this fucking 'vaccine' for covid-19.

Even if it ever transpires, which I highly doubt it ever will, majority of people on the planet won't be able to afford it. It will not be free. It will also be heavily prioritised, meaning your average 30yr old, healthy mask-wearing germophobe will be back of the line and rightly so.

Dexamethasone

More effective, £10 per pack.

And this is why we need to all forget about this fucking 'vaccine' for covid-19.

Even if it ever transpires, which I highly doubt it ever will, majority of people on the planet won't be able to afford it. It will not be free. It will also be heavily prioritised, meaning your average 30yr old, healthy mask-wearing germophobe will be back of the line and rightly so.
If American companies charge shitloads for it, other countries will just produce it generically then open up their countries/ international travel again and ban Americans from international travel.

'AIDS is killing the entire African nation
And a vaccine is still supposedly under preparation
But these governments they don't mind the procrastination
They say "We'll kill them off, take their land and go there for vaction"

RATM

Why don't people riot over big pharma instead?

How pro free market of you :) j/k. I can definently see your point.. However the US system is just a great place to gouge the customers for insane prices. Don´t blame the player, blame the game and all that.

BTW when looking at countries total expenditures on R&D the US is only 4th pr capita and 11th as a % of GDP. It´s not like the US is the only country doing any R&D.

I don't think that would work the way you're hoping. When pricing something in a country with a low GDP per capita, they have to price it at a price point that's actually going to sell. It's not like they're selling at a loss, if they price it too high and it doesn't sell then profits go down and the costs of goods in America might actually have to go up to make that profit back.

The first time I realize this shenanigans was back when in college, we went online to look for textbooks and realized that the International version sold in the U.K, published by the same U.S publisher and are identical in everyway except the paperback cover, were less than half the price of the U.S version. Then the NY Times finally ran a piece on that and exposed what we suspected all along: Americans were getting shafted.

Economies of scale dictates that since there are so many customers for the U.S version, it would cost less to produce by volume and makes it cheaper for the consumers, but then we are paying twice as much as the British (or German, or French) for a much limited run version, and their actual GDP per capita self-nullified the argument about GDP per capita responsible for the 50% discount.

There are many excuses presented, but in the end it always boils down to this: the American cashcows are charged much more than other countries because we are expected to be the primary revenue source, whereas the international market are the added bonus, and the publishere were only willing to stop jacking the U.S prices up year after year when feeling pressured by the gray market: the significantly-cheaper international version being shipped back from the U.K and sold outside of their control.

There's a vibrant textbook import industry that exploded after that NY Times article, and if the pharma companies don't learn from it, one day the import of generic drugs from Canada will no longer be a niche.

Last edited:
The first time I realize this shenanigans was back when in college, we went online to look for textbooks and realized that the International version sold in the U.K, published by the same U.S publisher and are identical in everyway except the paperback cover, were less than half the price of the U.S version. Then the NY Times finally ran a piece on that and exposed what we suspected all along: Americans were getting shafted.

Economies of scale dictates that since there are so many customers for the U.S version, it would cost less to produce by volume and makes it cheaper for the consumers, but then we are paying twice as much as the British (or German, or French) for a much limited run version, and their actual GDP per capita self-nullified the argument about GDP per capita responsible for the 50% discount.

There are many excuses presented, but in the end it always boils down to this: thevAmerican cashcow are charged more than other countries because they had no other choice before the internet, and the publishere were only willing to lower the prices when feeling pressured by the gray market: the significantly-cheaper international version being shipped back in and sold outside of their control.

There's a vibrant textbook import industry that exploded after that NY Times article, and if the pharma companies don't learn from it, one day the import of generic drugs from Canada will be just as widespread.

Ah that's fair enough didn't know about the difference in textbook prices and to be honest I didn't think we were paying less over here (UK) for your average American products than you guys.

I can only assume our universities are telling the publishers to go fuck themselves. I think the prices of university books are extortionate over here anyway, so if they're twice as much in America then that's criminal.

Daniel O’Day makes Martin Shkreli look like a Saint.

There's too many unemployed people right now.
You think anyone can really afford this?
Most people had health insurance through their employers, but lost it instantly after massive layoffs.

And that asshole acts smug as if he saved the country from a ghastly pandemic.

Last edited:
I've seen articles mention that it is doubtful that remdesivir is of much help to patients.

There are many excuses presented, but in the end it always boils down to this: the American cashcow are charged more than other countries because they had no other choice before the internet, and the publishere were only willing to stop jacking the U.S prices up year after year when feeling pressured by the gray market: the significantly-cheaper international version being shipped back in and sold outside of their control.

There's a vibrant textbook import industry that exploded after that NY Times article, and if the pharma companies don't learn from it, one day the import of generic drugs from Canada will no longer be a niche.
Americans being bad negotiators and getting totally shafted because "muh freemarkets" is really on the US and not anyone else. Everytime someone tries to fix that shit it´s always "thats commie". So you kind of made the bed and now have to lie in it. I don´t feel sorry one little bit.

Guess what the difference in pricing between UK and US education is...... Or most other western countries.. Economics of scale also dictate that a countries collective bargaining power is much greater than an individuals bargaining power. Many countries went the collective route. The US didn´t.

It always boils down to this. The american cashcow called anything with "social" or "collective" in it commie while the rest of the world saw the benefits immediately. Now you want the same prices as countries who use collective baragaining power and don´t overcharge 10000% for everything (education, healthcare etc)... Sorry bud, that´s not how the free market works. The US wanted it, the US got it.

Here you go. This is why they charge so much. YOU EVER CREATE A PRESCRIPTION DRUG OR VACCINE??? You ever do a fucking thing to make the world better at all??? Of course you haven't.

Now I know what you are going to say: "Well what about 'isn’t just a reflection of its R&D cost'"????

Thing is that some drugs pan out and some don't. The ones that don't pan out can cost 100,000s or 1,000,000s of dollars they don't get shit back.

The technology you need to even start trying to make drugs is expensive as fuck.

So yeah, in the end PRIVATE INSURANCE pays for drugs. If it were not for this then a lot of good drugs would not be invented. The assholes selling generic didn't do the research but they benefit from it.

The company got nearly 100 million in taxpayer money for research doofus.

I need you to go ahead and respond to this Rocco, I'll assume you didn't know that before you posted.

Here you go. This is why they charge so much. YOU EVER CREATE A PRESCRIPTION DRUG OR VACCINE??? You ever do a fucking thing to make the world better at all??? Of course you haven't.

Now I know what you are going to say: "Well what about 'isn’t just a reflection of its R&D cost'"????

Thing is that some drugs pan out and some don't. The ones that don't pan out can cost 100,000s or 1,000,000s of dollars they don't get shit back.

The technology you need to even start trying to make drugs is expensive as fuck.

So yeah, in the end PRIVATE INSURANCE pays for drugs. If it were not for this then a lot of good drugs would not be invented. The assholes selling generic didn't do the research but they benefit from it.
You are wasting your breath using logic and reason. The entitled me me me crowd cares nothing about how the world works, it’s purely about what they can get for doing and contributing nothing. I mean... they were born. That’s an achievement in the view of today’s generation.

I wonder why the establishment was pushing this treatment so hard for so long when there were cheaper options?

It's soooooo surprising that they're outright gauging us, and it would be even more surprising that if some of the people that are pushing this panicdemic down our throats are the same people to become fabulously rich from a drug like this.
liberals were cheer leading for the failure of HCQ, and it was apparent from the beginning, Fauci was grooming Gilead. They had no intention of trialing HCQ, and stalled on it.

in other threads from May..............

Fauci is in bed with Gilead
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...nt-hiv-infection-in-men-idUSTRE6AM2UV20101123

you support swamp monsters of the big pharm variety

Yale's protocol is to treat with HCQ, so in retrospect, Dr. Bright was wrong

https://covid.yale.edu/document-feedback/17/

Dr. Bright was more in line with Fauci, promoting the $1000 remdesivir.........................................................................................................

Of course open up the government Tit your going to see people take advantage of it

This is not a one off situation where pharma is just "taking advantage of a situation." They are evil mother fuckers who do this all year every year and have for a long time.

Americans being bad negotiators and getting totally shafted because "muh freemarkets" is really on the US and not anyone else. Everytime someone tries to fix that shit it´s always "thats commie". So you kind of made the bed and now have to lie in it. I don´t feel sorry one little bit.

Guess what the difference in pricing between UK and US education is...... Or most other western countries.. Economics of scale also dictate that a countries collective bargaining power is much greater than an individuals bargaining power. Many countries went the collective route. The US didn´t.

It always boils down to this. The american cashcow called anything with "social" or "collective" in it commie while the rest of the world saw the benefits immediately. Now you want the same prices as countries who use collective baragaining power and don´t overcharge 10000% for everything (education, healthcare etc)... Sorry bud, that´s not how the free market works. The US wanted it, the US got it.
The truth of this post cannot be understated.

This is not a one off situation where pharma is just "taking advantage of a situation." They are evil mother fuckers who do this all year every year and have for a long time.
This.
You are wasting your breath using logic and reason. The entitled me me me crowd cares nothing about how the world works, it’s purely about what they can get for doing and contributing nothing. I mean... they were born. That’s an achievement in the view of today’s generation.
I normally agree with most of your posts but can't wrap my head around your justification of his on any level.

This.

I normally agree with most of your posts but can't wrap my head around your justification of his on any level.
An expectation that bio tech companies who invest billions to develop life saving medicine should be giving products away rather than return value to shareholder and pay off R&D costs is insane.

One of the many reasons we are living longer is because there is incentive for innovation.

Back