1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Economy Pharmaceutical giant to charge $3,000 for $10 coronavirus treatment despite massive public subsidies

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Trotsky, Jun 29, 2020.

1. The_Renaissance Sherdog Bunceweight Champion

And this is why we need to all forget about this fucking 'vaccine' for covid-19.

Even if it ever transpires, which I highly doubt it ever will, majority of people on the planet won't be able to afford it. It will not be free. It will also be heavily prioritised, meaning your average 30yr old, healthy mask-wearing germophobe will be back of the line and rightly so.

2. Armbars RIP Reckful <3

Dexamethasone

More effective, £10 per pack.

3. superpunch Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

If American companies charge shitloads for it, other countries will just produce it generically then open up their countries/ international travel again and ban Americans from international travel.

4. Prutfis Master of pups

'AIDS is killing the entire African nation
    And a vaccine is still supposedly under preparation
    But these governments they don't mind the procrastination
    They say "We'll kill them off, take their land and go there for vaction"

RATM

Broke Lester likes this.
  5. Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Why don't people riot over big pharma instead?

6. Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

The first time I realize this shenanigans was back when in college, we went online to look for textbooks and realized that the International version sold in the U.K, published by the same U.S publisher and are identical in everyway except the paperback cover, were less than half the price of the U.S version. Then the NY Times finally ran a piece on that and exposed what we suspected all along: Americans were getting shafted.

Economies of scale dictates that since there are so many customers for the U.S version, it would cost less to produce by volume and makes it cheaper for the consumers, but then we are paying twice as much as the British (or German, or French) for a much limited run version, and their actual GDP per capita self-nullified the argument about GDP per capita responsible for the 50% discount.

There are many excuses presented, but in the end it always boils down to this: the American cashcows are charged much more than other countries because we are expected to be the primary revenue source, whereas the international market are the added bonus, and the publishere were only willing to stop jacking the U.S prices up year after year when feeling pressured by the gray market: the significantly-cheaper international version being shipped back from the U.K and sold outside of their control.

There's a vibrant textbook import industry that exploded after that NY Times article, and if the pharma companies don't learn from it, one day the import of generic drugs from Canada will no longer be a niche.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  7. Hellowhosthat Red Belt

Ah that's fair enough didn't know about the difference in textbook prices and to be honest I didn't think we were paying less over here (UK) for your average American products than you guys.

I can only assume our universities are telling the publishers to go fuck themselves. I think the prices of university books are extortionate over here anyway, so if they're twice as much in America then that's criminal.

8. Rhood Gold Belt

Daniel O’Day makes Martin Shkreli look like a Saint.

There's too many unemployed people right now.
    You think anyone can really afford this?
    Most people had health insurance through their employers, but lost it instantly after massive layoffs.

And that asshole acts smug as if he saved the country from a ghastly pandemic.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  9. Beechwood Green Belt

I've seen articles mention that it is doubtful that remdesivir is of much help to patients.

10. Rational Poster War Room Messiah

I had a pretty vivid dream last night where I got misdelivered a package that had 3 kilos of cocaine hidden in it.

Would be a lot cooler if it actually happened.

FinalFight likes this.
  11. Prutfis Master of pups

Americans being bad negotiators and getting totally shafted because "muh freemarkets" is really on the US and not anyone else. Everytime someone tries to fix that shit it´s always "thats commie". So you kind of made the bed and now have to lie in it. I don´t feel sorry one little bit.

Guess what the difference in pricing between UK and US education is...... Or most other western countries.. Economics of scale also dictate that a countries collective bargaining power is much greater than an individuals bargaining power. Many countries went the collective route. The US didn´t.

It always boils down to this. The american cashcow called anything with "social" or "collective" in it commie while the rest of the world saw the benefits immediately. Now you want the same prices as countries who use collective baragaining power and don´t overcharge 10000% for everything (education, healthcare etc)... Sorry bud, that´s not how the free market works. The US wanted it, the US got it.

ookii, AndroidRage and A_bomb47 like this.
  12. lowlife Swangin and Bangin

I need you to go ahead and respond to this Rocco, I'll assume you didn't know that before you posted.

AndroidRage likes this.
  13. BIKES! So then I said... Platinum Member

You are wasting your breath using logic and reason. The entitled me me me crowd cares nothing about how the world works, it’s purely about what they can get for doing and contributing nothing. I mean... they were born. That’s an achievement in the view of today’s generation.

Rocco Siffredi likes this.
  14. chardog That's President Donald Trump

liberals were cheer leading for the failure of HCQ, and it was apparent from the beginning, Fauci was grooming Gilead. They had no intention of trialing HCQ, and stalled on it.

in other threads from May..............

SleepyBoy and uppercutbus like this.
  15. MusterX Titanium Belt

This is not a one off situation where pharma is just "taking advantage of a situation." They are evil mother fuckers who do this all year every year and have for a long time.

16. Natural Order Naughty by Nurture

The truth of this post cannot be understated.

17. Natural Order Naughty by Nurture

This.
    I normally agree with most of your posts but can't wrap my head around your justification of his on any level.

MusterX likes this.
  18. BIKES! So then I said... Platinum Member

An expectation that bio tech companies who invest billions to develop life saving medicine should be giving products away rather than return value to shareholder and pay off R&D costs is insane.

One of the many reasons we are living longer is because there is incentive for innovation.

19. Social Distance Warrior Yellow Card Yellow Card

Did you happen to share it with your Sherbros?

20. Rational Poster War Room Messiah

Actually was sharing it with pokimane, which was really weird.