Economy Pharmaceutical giant to charge $3,000 for $10 coronavirus treatment despite massive public subsidies

Here you go. This is why they charge so much. YOU EVER CREATE A PRESCRIPTION DRUG OR VACCINE??? You ever do a fucking thing to make the world better at all??? Of course you haven't.

Now I know what you are going to say: "Well what about 'isn’t just a reflection of its R&D cost'"????

Thing is that some drugs pan out and some don't. The ones that don't pan out can cost 100,000s or 1,000,000s of dollars they don't get shit back.

The technology you need to even start trying to make drugs is expensive as fuck.

So yeah, in the end PRIVATE INSURANCE pays for drugs. If it were not for this then a lot of good drugs would not be invented. The assholes selling generic didn't do the research but they benefit from it.
The company got nearly 100 million in taxpayer money for research doofus.

Here you go. This is why they charge so much. YOU EVER CREATE A PRESCRIPTION DRUG OR VACCINE??? You ever do a fucking thing to make the world better at all??? Of course you haven't.

Now I know what you are going to say: "Well what about 'isn’t just a reflection of its R&D cost'"????

Thing is that some drugs pan out and some don't. The ones that don't pan out can cost 100,000s or 1,000,000s of dollars they don't get shit back.

The technology you need to even start trying to make drugs is expensive as fuck.

So yeah, in the end PRIVATE INSURANCE pays for drugs. If it were not for this then a lot of good drugs would not be invented. The assholes selling generic didn't do the research but they benefit from it.

this is bs. most drug research is funded totally or in large part by public funding at universities. we pay for the r and d and they get the profits for it all.

corporate welfare is what you are defending right now you idiot.

and on top of all that no one is just now in this thread even wanting to tear down this bullshit unjust system. but this drug should be fucking free for anyone who gets it because, you know, we are in the middle of a pandemic and all.

The government should just price lock it. If we have no rights in a pandemic, then they shouldn't either.

The company is also admitting that the price of remdesivir isn’t just a reflection of its R&D cost. The price is also intended to help Gilead “maintain our long-term research in antivirals and to invest in scientific innovation that might help generations to come.”

I wonder how much of the coronavirus-fuelled remdesivir profit will go into funding further acquisitions & 'strategic collaborations' that see them obtain exclusive licenses to sell treatments developed by other companies.

this is bs. most drug research is funded totally or in large part by public funding at universities. we pay for the r and d and they get the profits for it all.

corporate welfare is what you are defending right now you idiot.

and on top of all that no one is just now in this thread even wanting to tear down this bullshit unjust system. but this drug should be fucking free for anyone who gets it because, you know, we are in the middle of a pandemic and all.
Exactly.

Only Bernie would of attempted to destroy Big Pharma.

Biden and Trump wont do crap.

True. Lots of posters in this thread bitching about how unfair this is didn't say a peep when Trump handed out a massive corporate bailout with little to no hope of us knowing where it goes and how it's being spent. People did try to speak up about this type of tax payer subsidized bullshit, and you guys complained when they did.

I wonder why the establishment was pushing this treatment so hard for so long when there were cheaper options?

It's soooooo surprising that they're outright gauging us, and it would be even more surprising that if some of the people that are pushing this panicdemic down our throats are the same people to become fabulously rich from a drug like this.
Wouldn't the people who want you to buy treatment for it downplay the virus so it would spread more? Why would they want to reduce the numbers?

Not only that the American taxpayers helped Gilead funding their R&D, but once again we ends up subsidizing for the world, because Gilead already licensed it out for the rest of the world to produce generic versions locally for their people.

I'm really tired of Americans shouldering the brunt of the costs for all the innovations made here. If anything, it should work the other way around: made at cost for us, and the profit from the rest of the world to cover R&D. How else would the other countries be encouraged to invest into their own technical innovations rather than riding on America's coat tail?

Not only that the American taxpayers helped Gilead funding their R&D, but once again we ends up subsidizing for the world, because Gilead already licensed it out for the rest of the world to produce generic versions locally for their people.

I'm really tired of Americans shouldering the brunt of the costs for all the innovations made here. If anything, it should work the other way around: made at cost for us, and the profit from the rest of the world to cover R&D. How else would the other countries be encouraged to invest into their own technical innovations rather than riding on America's coat tail?

You don´t think that with less than 20% of total revenue going to R&D the medicinal industry could cut prices for americans without R&D suffering (If they really wanted to)?
The bigger problem for the US is no collective bargaining power of the entire country and to many fingers in the pie that all want some profit.

You don´t think that with less than 20% of total revenue going to R&D the medicinal industry could cut prices for americans without R&D suffering (If they really wanted to)?
The bigger problem for the US is no collective bargaining power of the entire country and to many fingers in the pie that all want some profit.

My issue is far beyond just drugs. I think Americans should get every American innovations at close to production costs as possible, while the rest of the world get the full price.

Americans pay full prices for everything, while the rest of the world gets charged far less by the same American companies. This is true for nearly everything, because American cosumers are expected to be the cashcows while the rest are bonus profit.

If Congress introduce a law that say American companies cannot charge American consumers more than the lowest price they offered to another country, I'd stand in the pouring rain to support it.

My issue is far beyond just drugs. I think Americans should get every American innovations at close to production costs as possible, while the rest of the world get the full price.

Americans pay full prices for everything, while the rest of the world gets charged far less by the same American companies. This is true for nearly everything, because American cosumers are expected to be the cashcows while the rest are bonus profit.

If Congress introduce a law that say American companies cannot charge American consumers more than the lowest price they offered to another country, I'd stand in the pouring rain to support it.
How pro free market of you :) j/k. I can definently see your point.. However the US system is just a great place to gouge the customers for insane prices. Don´t blame the player, blame the game and all that.

BTW when looking at countries total expenditures on R&D the US is only 4th pr capita and 11th as a % of GDP. It´s not like the US is the only country doing any R&D.

I don't think that would work the way you're hoping. When pricing something in a country with a low GDP per capita, they have to price it at a price point that's actually going to sell. It's not like they're selling at a loss, if they price it too high and it doesn't sell then profits go down and the costs of goods in America might actually have to go up to make that profit back.

Only Bernie would of attempted to destroy Big Pharma.

Biden and Trump wont do crap.
Trump did try to take on big pharma Biden will not even do that. Sanders would have no real succes either though he would try to many in washington are money wise/job wise beholden to big pharma

The entire medicine and pharmaceutical industry is a farce. They produce poison(pharmakia) and sell it to you as health and wellness. The drugs they produce always come with side effects. They don't actually cure anything. They, at best, cover the symptoms by manipulating and ultimately damaging your bodies natural systems & functions. They discourage & downplay natural remedies like foods, herbs, plants, oils, ect.

Its a satanic industry ran by devils. And its this same industry that has us all cowering in our homes from something eith a 99% survival rate.

Back