PFL doing worst than WSOF

How can I watch?

I saw a highlight video on YouTube.

Kinda disappointed that I hadn't heard about it, I probably would have watched the finals at least.

Not impressed by their advertising. I am their target market and didn't know this was happening until after the finals.

I never watched WSOF and I don't watch PFL either, I just can't get into it. It's like the C leagues to me. If PFL is the C league, One is the D league.

The (probably) next title contender at BW is from WSOF
One of the most exciting guys in the entire roster and top 10 at LW is from WSOF
Ranked guys at FW, MW and HW were from WSOF at some point

lol at start up is just WSOF w a new name and the same terrible ratings

It's not "just WSOF".
They have a plan, an attraction of fighter of ANY caliber to join them and a lot of investors smarter than you x 1000 willing to put money on it.

How can I watch?

I saw a highlight video on YouTube.

Kinda disappointed that I hadn't heard about it, I probably would have watched the finals at least.

Not impressed by their advertising. I am their target market and didn't know this was happening until after the finals.

Inside USA: NBCsN on TV
Outside USA: Facebook's PFL

Inside USA: NBCsN on TV
Outside USA: Facebook's PFL
Thank you. I'll have to check and see if I get NBCsN

Do you know if I can watch on FB in USA or would I need a VPN ?
(or whatever that thing is called that makes it seem like your ip address is somewhere else)

Some of the fights were pretty entertaining the other day. Ray Cooper III being submitted must have been disappointing to the organization, but he should bounce back and continue to put on entertaining fights. It's definitely a b-league promotion (a step below Bellator even) but as a fight fan it's always nice to be able to watch some free fights. As a consumer any competition is better than no competition imo.

Thank you. I'll have to check and see if I get NBCsN

Do you know if I can watch on FB in USA or would I need a VPN ?
(or whatever that thing is called that makes it seem like your ip address is somewhere else)

Yes, you should be able to do that
FB streaming works pretty well actually

It's been said they fully expected to lose money this season. But I highly doubt they thought it would be this bad on the front of ticket sales and ratings. What are your two biggest forms of revenue. The numbers just shit the bed and there is nothing more to it than that.

They could try going into different markets that don't usually get shows. Go to somewhere like Madison, WI and hold it at the Kohl center which is right in the campus of UW Madison and offer students like $25 tickets for the first 3000 sold. It might help on the ticket sale side some.

But I'm not sure what to do about TV ratings without someone offering them some type of streaming deal(overpay them) or NBCsports and other channels get in a small bidding war. Because rumors are they get paid 100K a show right now. Flip side is what is something worth that only 150K tune into? They yap about some crazy number of Facebook views but you can't tell me your pulling in 5 million views on facebook and only about 3% of them are following your show continuing on NBCSports, which has the better names on it. That doesn't add up and the easiest answer is they lie about the facebook views.

I'm sure they'll be around next season but something has to change. You have to at least give hope to your investors. But then again nothing about WSOF made sense and some how they farted around for like 5 years.

Mma just isn’t big enough to where we can expect PFL to thrive. Hardly anyone in the US cares about mma. There’s really only space for UFC and Bellator. Every other promotion will struggle. I wish the best for PFL but they’re in trouble if they’re expecting to reach even Bellator level.

Mma just isn’t big enough to where we can expect PFL to thrive. Hardly anyone in the US cares about mma. There’s really only space for UFC and Bellator. Every other promotion will struggle. I wish the best for PFL but they’re in trouble if they’re expecting to reach even Bellator level.

They offer salaries that are close to the salaries of UFC champions.
To those who win, of course.
And considering the level of fighters that fought this season, this million is up for grabs for a lot of top fighters...

They offer salaries that are close to the salaries of UFC champions.
To those who win, of course.
And considering the level of fighters that fought this season, this million is up for grabs for a lot of top fighters...
Yeah I mean I’m not against their model. I want them to succeed. I’m just looking at the landscape and they have a long way to go to reach profitability. Their brand doesn’t have any power whatsoever. Bellator’s been around for 10 years and has 1.2 million followers on IG. PFL has a long way to go to reach that. If they can keep chugging along maybe they can reach that level. But it’s taken Bellator 10 years to get where they are. PFL need to be in it for the long term if they want to succeed. Doesn’t happen over night. Time and commitment is what they need. We’ll see if they’re willing to stick around.

Yeah I mean I’m not against their model. I want them to succeed. I’m just looking at the landscape and they have a long way to go to reach profitability. Their brand doesn’t have any power whatsoever. Bellator’s been around for 10 years and has 1.2 million followers on IG. PFL has a long way to go to reach that. If they can keep chugging along maybe they can reach that level. But it’s taken Bellator 10 years to get where they are. PFL need to be in it for the long term if they want to succeed. Doesn’t happen over night. Time and commitment is what they need. We’ll see if they’re willing to stick around.

That's obvious. And I think they know it too. And, most importantly, their investors ( very successful people) know it.

PFL is a startup. This is not WSOF, they're regrouped.
They have a plan, they will stick to it. Next year will attract much more attention because famous fighters will want to make money they cannot with all their fame.
And then more.

I believe they can expect success in 6-7 years. This is reasonable for startup, reasonable for MMA, reasonable for big investment overall.

That's obvious. And I think they know it too. And, most importantly, their investors ( very successful people) know it.

PFL is a startup. This is not WSOF, they're regrouped.
They have a plan, they will stick to it. Next year will attract much more attention because famous fighters will want to make money they cannot with all their fame.
And then more.

I believe they can expect success in 6-7 years. This is reasonable for startup, reasonable for MMA, reasonable for big investment overall.
I hope they stick around as well. A million dollars is life changing money for any fighter. These guys sacrifice so much to be pro fighters. If they can find a way to make a million dollars without having to be under Scumbag White’s iron fist then all the power to them. Seeing Louis Taylor’s family’s reaction was heartwarming. It meant so much to them. He changed his life in one night.

I hope they stick around as well. A million dollars is life changing money for any fighter. These guys sacrifice so much to be pro fighters. If they can find a way to make a million dollars without having to be under Scumbag White’s iron fist then all the power to them. Seeing Louis Taylor’s family’s reaction was heartwarming. It meant so much to them. He changed his life in one night.

You know, I'm just thinking about all the WSOF guys who jumped ship(s):
Ivanov, Branch, Fitch, Gaethje.
I wonder if they regret it now...hmmmm...I think they do! No wait, I'm sure they do. Each and every one of them.

Even Gaethje. It's funny, he is actually appreciated by UFC, gets $100K to show.
Fought there two years, got 5 Bonuses. In four fights.
So 2*100+2*200+5*50 = 850 K for 2 years, while getting his brains beaten out of him in the process.
While he could do 1M in one season, against easier competition.

It's been said they fully expected to lose money this season. But I highly doubt they thought it would be this bad on the front of ticket sales and ratings. What are your two biggest forms of revenue. The numbers just shit the bed and there is nothing more to it than that.

They could try going into different markets that don't usually get shows. Go to somewhere like Madison, WI and hold it at the Kohl center which is right in the campus of UW Madison and offer students like $25 tickets for the first 3000 sold. It might help on the ticket sale side some.

But I'm not sure what to do about TV ratings without someone offering them some type of streaming deal(overpay them) or NBCsports and other channels get in a small bidding war. Because rumors are they get paid 100K a show right now. Flip side is what is something worth that only 150K tune into? They yap about some crazy number of Facebook views but you can't tell me your pulling in 5 million views on facebook and only about 3% of them are following your show continuing on NBCSports, which has the better names on it. That doesn't add up and the easiest answer is they lie about the facebook views.

I'm sure they'll be around next season but something has to change. You have to at least give hope to your investors. But then again nothing about WSOF made sense and some how they farted around for like 5 years.
Basically every business that ever existed start off at a loss because every business is only outputting money in order to start up the business and to account for the first year or years costs of running their business just to make sure they have a business to run and because those businesses are starting up, they have yet had the chance to earn any income. So at the end of this past fiscal year, the PFL owners will look at how much they budgeted from the outset of 2018 and come back with the real costs of 2018. For example, if starting up a company and you think it will cost you $1 million dollars to run it for a year, you would be wise to have your initial start up budget projected at $2 million dollars. And at the end of the year it actually only cost you $500,000 to run your business for that year, and you've found that your income was $250,000. Now you actually have real numbers to work with and from there you will start tweaking things to make up the difference for year two of your company. Hopefully, for MMA fans and MMA fighters the PFL becomes successful and profitable.

Basically every business that ever existed start off at a loss because every business is only outputting money in order to start up the business and to account for the first year or years costs of running their business just to make sure they have a business to run and because those businesses are starting up, they have yet had the chance to earn any income. So at the end of this past fiscal year, the PFL owners will look at how much they budgeted from the outset of 2018 and come back with the real costs of 2018. For example, if starting up a company and you think it will cost you $1 million dollars to run it for a year, you would be wise to have your initial start up budget projected at $2 million dollars. And at the end of the year it actually only cost you $500,000 to run your business for that year, and you've found that your income was $250,000. Now you actually have real numbers to work with and from there you will start tweaking things to make up the difference for year two of your company. Hopefully, for MMA fans and MMA fighters the PFL becomes successful and profitable.

Unfortunately, those real numbers appear to be about the worse they could be.

I still think they should slightly tape delay the shows(I know some hate that idea) and give the fans watching on TV the best show they can. Just being on a two hour delay and giving the best fights they have that night could make a much more exciting overall experience for viewers. I know during the season I watched a lot non televised fights that I thought were much more entertaining than many of the matches on TV.

Oh well, either way I just don't see MMA fans jumping on board unless the names in the tournament become significantly better that the names attract avg. blow joe fan. Bellator and the UFC are having a hard enough time getting fans to tune in to there shows, especially ones of lesser quality.

unless the names in the tournament become significantly better that the names attract avg. blow joe fan.

That's their aim...when top fighters see that 1M prize is real, they'll gladly jump to PFL to beat some cans and receive a salary equivalent to UFC champion's

You know, I'm just thinking about all the WSOF guys who jumped ship(s):
Ivanov, Branch, Fitch, Gaethje.
I wonder if they regret it now...hmmmm...I think they do! No wait, I'm sure they do. Each and every one of them.

Even Gaethje. It's funny, he is actually appreciated by UFC, gets $100K to show.
Fought there two years, got 5 Bonuses. In four fights.
So 2*100+2*200+5*50 = 850 K for 2 years, while getting his brains beaten out of him in the process.
While he could do 1M in one season, against easier competition.
TUF coaching salary also.

Unfortunately, those real numbers appear to be about the worse they could be.

I still think they should slightly tape delay the shows(I know some hate that idea) and give the fans watching on TV the best show they can. Just being on a two hour delay and giving the best fights they have that night could make a much more exciting overall experience for viewers. I know during the season I watched a lot non televised fights that I thought were much more entertaining than many of the matches on TV.

Oh well, either way I just don't see MMA fans jumping on board unless the names in the tournament become significantly better that the names attract avg. blow joe fan. Bellator and the UFC are having a hard enough time getting fans to tune in to there shows, especially ones of lesser quality.
Those real numbers aren't worst than expected though. The PFL owners now have actual numbers of what they actually spent instead of what they actually over budgeted for. The PFL owners have actual numbers now of real income instead of estimates. The PFL owners have actual concrete things now that they can go to their investors and partners and sponsors with and all work together on how they can work to make their company successful for everyone involved. Those numbers aren't worse than expected because you don't know what the PFL owners expected. No one knows. Best scenarios when starting up a company is to budget to expect next to nothing income and to expect double of your output. That way there is no real shock value that causes panic and as a owner it helps everyone see things clearer and calmer and to go from there.

Back