Pettis vs Mcgregor

Except Dynamic Pettis has apparently left the building .. we have not seen that guy in his last two fights. Before that, I would have agreed with you 100%, but not now. I give Conor more of a chance to beat Pettis than RDA, and not just because RDA beat Pettis, but because Showtime is officially MIA until further notice.

And I am not a Conor fan for the record. I would love to see the version of Pettis that beat Hendo, destroy Conor .. I hope he comes back one day.
Yes, but why have we not seen it in his last two fights? Because he's faced two top level wrestlers/grapplers in RDA and Alvarez. The only threat Conor poses is a KO. And I'm sure Pettis can avoid that.

So you agree that Pettis isn't on Conor's level on the feet?
No i don't agree at all. Just looks like Pettis's striking has gone down hill because he's been facing top level wrestlers/grapplers. Wait til Conor moves up. It's a whole new world. Conor wouldn't beat Alvarez, Melendez or Bendo.

Disagree. I think Conor is superior as a striker to Pettis and that's where the fight would be.
No he's not and even if he was that's not where the fight would be because Pettis is smarter than that.

We will see how confident you are about that when Conor KO s RDA with ease
What does that have to do with anything even if it did happen? Still don't change my opinion on Pettis beating Conor. Stop trying to use MMA math.

Pettis is a dangerous fight, he has ways to win, but I would favour Conor about 80/20, I think he would overwhelm Pettis and take away his best weapons.
Conor doesn't have the tools to take away Pettis' weapons.

Sherdog be like...

image.jpg

Fight goes one of three ways.

Pettis out strikes Conor to a UD
Conor knocks out Pettis early
Pettis knocks out Conor late.

Pettis out strikes Conor pretty badly, but Conor has that power. If I'm making odds it would be Pettis -165 Conor +125... Vegas would prolog make it something crazy like Conor -195, Pettis +140.

Pettis is a bad match up for Conor IMO

Pettis gets KO'd in this fight imo. Hes too stationary and his boxing technique is not very good compared to Conor.

Connor is a better, harder puncher. Pettis is the better kicker. It would be interesting to see what Pettis could do when he isn't as worried about getting taken down and grinded on. It would be an interesting match up for sure.

I don't see how conor could win that fight. He'd get out classed standing and couldn't fall back on his ground game.

No i don't agree at all. Just looks like Pettis's striking has gone down hill because he's been facing top level wrestlers/grapplers. Wait til Conor moves up. It's a whole new world. Conor wouldn't beat Alvarez, Melendez or Bendo.

Aldo is better than anyone Pettis, Bendo, or RDA has ever fought. Like it or not, Conor has the best win on his record relative to that company. Time and time again, Conor is finishing his opposition with strikes; he is showing no signs of slowing down because of the quality of his opponents. Can you say that for these other guys? Nope.

Most fighters won't be in 5-round fight preparation at all times. Some have actual day jobs, they need time with friends and family, or generally time to recuperate from little injuries etc. Many fighters will stay in good, non-fight-ready shape, but as you've hinted at, that won't compare to another elite level fighter who has enjoyed a full camp (before factoring anything else in). We saw where the change in opponent disrupted McGregor, and that could be a topic unto itself; here, we saw where the short notice hurt Mendes. At the end of the day, it is what it is.

If the UFC really wants to address the problem of injuries disrupting big fights, they can consider a contingency plan where they pay a fighter their show money to train as a backup, just in case they need to call them. But without some type of guaranteed pay or something for their training efforts (should they not be called upon), it makes more sense to do what Mendes did and just fight on short notice.

As to Aldo's track record, he still generally maintained a schedule of two fights per year. There is too much uncertainty involved to really dedicate the time and resources to a full fight camp, based on this.

It can cost more than you think. You know the fighter pay topic? This is where it comes into play. A number of them do this part-time and still balance it with a day job. Here is one article detailing the cost for entry level fighters, pegged at $4,000-$12,000 out of pocket (you should read the entire thing, actually). Figures for a full, "elite" camp can be found, here, and seem to be as high as $127,000. Even if we wanted to be conservative for the sake of discussion and go with 1/3 the number, that's still around 40k...and fighters like Cerrone have confirmed that it's definitely higher than that. You'd owe people a lot of money if you're a backup and you DON'T get called to fight.

Above you said that guys who don't commit to these camps aren't championship material, but the thing is, most can't afford to. A guy like McGregor or some of the other top guys who make good money have the resources, but for everyone else? It's expensive and risky. To keep it simple, if it were as easy as just watching tape and performing, fighters would be doing it more often.

Overall, keep this stuff in perspective-- at the end of the day, McGregor won the fight. We can discuss details all day long, but if McGregor is as good as he says he is, he'll continue to win fights until he removes most doubt (after which, he'll still have detractors...that's just how it is). Watching fighters consistently prove themselves is part of the fun in watching the sport.

Interesting stuff. I'll definitely have a read of those articles. The thing that I'm still not sold on is how necessary these camps actually are. Do fighters REALLY need them to get into 'fighting shape', or is it made necessary by the people that benefit from it? Just an example, Mike Dolce makes everyone believe that if you don't use him, you can't cut weight. He makes himself invaluable. But really, he doesn't do anything someone else can't do. I'm sure he's not the only one in the industry that's trying to make his name indispensable, and profit from it.

Now I'm sure the camps are effective, and I'm sure if you have the resources for it- great. But you know, McGregor didn't always have those resources, and he looks just the same fighter now as he did when he was fighting in the lower leagues.

I see RDA training with these masks on to simulate high altitude. Masks that have very little scientific evidence to date that they are effective. I'm sure he is paying his team a bunch of money for this- but is he ACTUALLY profiting from it, or is his team?

I'm not convinced that getting prepared for a fight necessitates more than train damn hard, study your opponent, make sure you get a good weight cut. Trainers are trying to make training camps into some mythical science when it's nothing more than making sure you're physically and mentally prepared to get in there, which ultimately comes down to the fighter 100%.

Im not just saying this as an Aldo fan but I think a rematch vs Aldo is a tougher match than Pettis is for Conor, even with how the first fight went.

I think Pettis is one of the easier top 10 fights at LW for McGregor

With Conor its all about the timing distance and power. When somebody's really good at those 3 things you can't count them out against anybody. Conor would beat Pettis by guiding him into a KO. Like most fighters against Conor right now, the answer is his submissions. We haven't seen Conor on his back too much...if he makes great leaps there, forget about it. Dude is KOing everybody.

IF, Conor beats RDA I don't see many people beating him at 155.
Only ones I see that have good chance are Khabib and Tony.

Back