Pettis vs Mcgregor

As a Pettis fan, I have to say he looked like shit in his last fight. His shape didn't looked the same, his kicks was weak, we wasn't as fast as he used to be.

And even on his best, I would give Conor a advantage. Pettis doesn't know how to fight when someone pressure him. And of course, when you pressure someone, the first thing that he won't able to do as well is using his kicks. Conor has just way better hands, moves better, probably has more speed, more power and is a better striker.

I guess Bendo and Giblert didn't try to pressure him at all... :rolleyes:

Pettis by head clean off.

Conor is currently the most overrated fighter in MMA.

Disagree. Conor is the way better boxer and he has the kicks and everything else to defend himself against Pettis. The boxing is the most important aspect of striking especially when Conor knows all the other tools too.
Stop it.

Lol... which is the most probable scenario.

I like how you feel so sure about what you think using the "if " word... Almost like dreaming don't you...
I use "if" because I'm smart enough to know that anything can happen.

As a Pettis fan, I have to say he looked like shit in his last fight. His shape didn't looked the same, his kicks was weak, we wasn't as fast as he used to be.

And even on his best, I would give Conor a advantage. Pettis doesn't know how to fight when someone pressure him. And of course, when you pressure someone, the first thing that he won't able to do as well is using his kicks. Conor has just way better hands, moves better, probably has more speed, more power and is a better striker.
No. Pettis doesn't fight well when getting pressured by a superior wrestler/grappler and Conor isn't that.

Dude you're out of your mind.
No but clearly you are. Even if I was to agree with you which is absurd, there's a big diifference between the Holloway now and the Halloway that fought Conor.

You said Conor doesn't take people down. He does in fact do that when he has to.

You are correct in that he's displayed nothing to date that even hints that his ground game is on par with Bendo/Cowboy/RDA, but he does in fact, have some ground skills. Enough to neutralize a younger, greener Holloway at least.

Mendes has a pretty mean guillotine and yet failed to even get a good attempt in both times he tried it on Conor. While I think Conor's bottom game is pretty weak overall you have to admit he scrambles well.

If you attribute the Mendes loss to the short camp (I agree in part - this was a factor) entirely and do not count the numerous body kicks that Conor pelted him with as part of what lead to the gassing then you're choosing to only see the parts of the picture that you want to see.
I do agree Mcgregor scrambles well and that the leg kicks played a part in Mendes gassing. But I stand by everything i've said in this thread.

Why would anybody have anything to do with why I think Pettis is overrated other than Pettis? Pettis can only strike. That's why I think he is overrated. And, even though it is his specialty, I think his striking is worse than mcnuggets. That is my opinion.
Pettis can only strike?? His 5 subs by armbar or choke say different.

not a fan of either fighter but i think right now Conor beats Pettis as i think he might be a bit mentally broke after losing two straight fights and one a complete beat down so a combination of Conors confidence and Pettis losing two straight i give the edge to Conor .

Really not that interesting of a fight. Conor would pick him apart in no time on the feet. Pettis would crumble from the pressure and superior boxing.

Fair point, I see where you are coming from. You could be right that he didn't go balls to the wall training. I do however expect that he and his team were still preparing for the fight. Like I said, Aldo's track record would have had every potential contender waiting for that payday, and in this case I think the risk would have been worth the reward in their eyes. I mean, do fighters really stop training when they don't have a fight booked? If they do, that's probably a big reason they're not a champion.
Most fighters won't be in 5-round fight preparation at all times. Some have actual day jobs, they need time with friends and family, or generally time to recuperate from little injuries etc. Many fighters will stay in good, non-fight-ready shape, but as you've hinted at, that won't compare to another elite level fighter who has enjoyed a full camp (before factoring anything else in). We saw where the change in opponent disrupted McGregor, and that could be a topic unto itself; here, we saw where the short notice hurt Mendes. At the end of the day, it is what it is.

If the UFC really wants to address the problem of injuries disrupting big fights, they can consider a contingency plan where they pay a fighter their show money to train as a backup, just in case they need to call them. But without some type of guaranteed pay or something for their training efforts (should they not be called upon), it makes more sense to do what Mendes did and just fight on short notice.

As to Aldo's track record, he still generally maintained a schedule of two fights per year. There is too much uncertainty involved to really dedicate the time and resources to a full fight camp, based on this.

How much money would it actually cost for a training camp on top of what they usually do? Study tapes on McGregor, formulate a plan for how they anticipate the fight to go, simulate fighting him, bust your balls with cardio, keep your diet on point- ultimately, Mendes probably expects to fight McGregor at some point whatever happens, so it's hardly wasted effort.
It can cost more than you think. You know the fighter pay topic? This is where it comes into play. A number of them do this part-time and still balance it with a day job. Here is one article detailing the cost for entry level fighters, pegged at $4,000-$12,000 out of pocket (you should read the entire thing, actually). Figures for a full, "elite" camp can be found, here, and seem to be as high as $127,000. Even if we wanted to be conservative for the sake of discussion and go with 1/3 the number, that's still around 40k...and fighters like Cerrone have confirmed that it's definitely higher than that. You'd owe people a lot of money if you're a backup and you DON'T get called to fight.

Above you said that guys who don't commit to these camps aren't championship material, but the thing is, most can't afford to. A guy like McGregor or some of the other top guys who make good money have the resources, but for everyone else? It's expensive and risky. To keep it simple, if it were as easy as just watching tape and performing, fighters would be doing it more often.

Overall, keep this stuff in perspective-- at the end of the day, McGregor won the fight. We can discuss details all day long, but if McGregor is as good as he says he is, he'll continue to win fights until he removes most doubt (after which, he'll still have detractors...that's just how it is). Watching fighters consistently prove themselves is part of the fun in watching the sport.

Sherdog has gone from everyone beats Conor to Conor beats everyone… No doubt this will flip again after a single loss.

not sure if this is true

anyway pettis is not close to a fight with conor right now

Confidence and Mental strength are both hugely in Conor's favour atm

Between 2 high level strikers that alone will make the biggest difference.

Conor by KO

No. Pettis doesn't fight well when getting pressured by a superior wrestler/grappler and Conor isn't that.
Pettis doesn't fight well when pressured to the fence. It limits his movement and he squares up in a narrow stance that limits his punching power. It also takes away the distance he needs for kicks. RDA pressured him and out struck him there for the first 4 minutes of their fight with no attempts at takedowns.

No but clearly you are. Even if I was to agree with you which is absurd, there's a big diifference between the Holloway now and the Halloway that fought Conor.

It must suck to watch all of Conor's fights and then annoyingly turn off your tv, sit there mad, and brew up some excuse as to why he should have loss or will loss. I'd bet if I were to search your posts you were a hugger proclaiming that Mendes would destroy McGregor at that time.

Pettis doesn't fight well when pressured to the fence. It limits his movement and he squares up in a narrow stance that limits his punching power. It also takes away the distance he needs for kicks. RDA pressured him and out struck him there for the first 4 minutes of their fight with no attempts at takedowns.
Once again Conor isn't RDA though.

Back