• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

People that choose not to drive!

Do you drive

• Total voters
I would learn if it was free and possible to Matrix into my brain.. I simply can't be fucked, or can afford it.

My dad is 70 and never got a licence. He's lived in the big city his entire life and cars are just not convenient there + public transportation is really good and our whole nation bikes.

Not having grown up around cars, I only got my licence in my 30'ies when I left town with my wife and we started a family. Probably for this reason, driving isn't something I particularly enjoy doing though I know many people who do - for me it's just a neccesary utility.

I came from a family that didn’t drive. My mother raised me and she never did. So I never had that father figure to teach me as a youth

Driven a bunch but never had a licence
I’ve never driven a car (legally)
I’m getting old
I live in a major city though with a robust transit system, it’s not really needed

I want to get it now but I’ll probably be dead within 5 years, so WGAF
Mainly just I can cruise around and cat call women LOL( jokes)

I dont have a car out here cuz I have no where to keep it and its a bit of a hassle to have one where I live but I have my license and know how to drive. Even if ya live in a city I think its weird to never get your license though.

I'm 40 years old. Haven't driven a car in almost 20 years. Haven't had a license since Bush was in office (15-20 years). My excuse? Don't need one. Not to get around. Not for work. I live in a huge metro area with loads of transportation options. Can get anywhere within 40-50 miles relatively easy (and i'm probably underestimating that).

The only time i find myself missing a car is when i get an itch to go on a road trip once or twice a year. But i figure that the 5-10g or so i save from not owning a car just ends up going towards my vacation funds anyway so... it's a win win.

I was a bit late to the party and didn't get my full drivers license until i was 25 but there are people who never get it. I have always been curious to what makes them decide this. I know a guy around 40 yrs old and he's never driven a car one time. Any Sherdoggers that don't drive care to chime in?

edit: to be clear this is not intended to shame anyone it's a personal choice just curious is all.
I totaled my last car and decided not to get it fixed because I live in the city about a ten minute walk to work. I haven’t driven in a few years. That being said not having a car sucks in a lot of ways and I make enough money now that the money I save on insurance, gas, upkeep ect, isn’t enough to be really worth it anymore. I plan on buying a car in the next year or so.

I didn't really choose not to drive just that I was a little 'afraid' to. Had no problem getting in a boxing ring getting my head and body mashed up but I was scared to drive a vehicle for most of my life

Finally bit down and bought a car in my late 20s

Neither of my older sisters have a car or really even knows how to drive one and they both have 3 kids a piece. Their husbands do the driving

The thought of having to wait for buses etc when its pissing down with rain or freezing cold. No thanks, I need a car and got my license at 18.

Man, that is what made me go out and finally get my driver's license. Always raining in my city and I was tired of walking 20 minutes to the bus stop in the rain or freezing cold.

I missed out on so many things by not getting my license at an early age like I should have. All those girls I could have hooked up with for late night booty calls. I mean, we have Uber now which helps but your own car gives you a certain sense of freedom. Never really felt like a real 'man' without my driver's license

I wanted to get my license when I turned 16, but my mom wouldn't let me. In hindsight, I agree with her. I was a reckless and craay bastard.

Got my license in my twenties. Drove a lot for a few years after and haven't since. Thinking of getting a motor cycle license. Need to do it soob or I'll be accused of a mid life crisis.

I live in LA so I have to drive. But I enjoy driving, you are somewhat at piece when you are. I could never take public transport on a regular basis. Take the subway or the metro? No chance in hell. I’d rather sit in traffic in my own car by myself an extra hour or two a day than have to see a bunch of lunatic strangers near me.

This thread fills me with

<Huh2>

I can't relate at all

Drove as much as I could at 15 on a Learner's Permit.
As soon as I turned 16, I had my license and one of my parents' cars just about any time I wanted.

The only time I've really been afraid to drive was visiting Boston as a teen.
Those roads were designed by a dumbfuck on an acid trip.

You couldn't pay me to drive here but I do have a car in San Diego and Phoenix in case I go to Emerica. I like to drive but here it is way too crazy.

I've had my license since I was 17 (just turned 40 this past Jan). Got rid of my car in 2018 and moved downtown Silver Spring, MD at a 7 min walk to the closest metro station which takes me anywhere in the DMV. I love not having a car. It's freeing! It's mostly trains, Uber/Lyft for me, and rarely buses. I also use Zip Cars on few occasions when really needed. I'll only get a car again when I move to the burbs.

I'm 39 don't have my license, might get one if I have a kid though. I live in a small city and close to most things I need.

Back