Social People in Western countries with strict gun control don't murder as much as Americans

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
Not the criminals. I used to live in a county that went almost 75 years without a murder and was heavily armed. The high school parking lot was full of pickup trucks with a gun rack in the rear window with long arms in it.

Growing up in the 60s and 70s guns supplemented our food.

Just because it worked in one state/county doesn’t mean it works everywhere..

And you say don’t arm the criminals, but how do you spot the criminal that hasn’t been caught yet?

So you would be in favor of arming everyone?

Here is a bit of trivia for you. In the 50s and early 60s kids in the ROTC program at school used to haul their Anschutz rifles on the subway. There was never a problem but that came to an end. This was in New York City.

But exactly how strict are those countries? The lesser murder rate may have nothing to do with gun control, but have everything to do with how restrictive everything else is or how harsh the penalties are for everything.

...Or any number of other things.

Statistics comparing countries aren't anecdotes. You obviously don't even know what anecdote means.

I'm not sure of what your mental handicap here is, but you have two countries with two different homicide rates, and among all the differences you could look at, and without considering them, you just vomit "must be the guns"...

What a smart cookie you are. Almost as sharp as @My2Cents "Guns make places more dangerous because reasons. Don't worry about any evidence just take my word for it. Bagoo!"

Here is a bit of trivia for you. In the 50s and early 60s kids in the ROTC program at school used to haul their Anschutz rifles on the subway. There was never a problem but that came to an end. This was in New York City.

So we have a subway here as well. On that subway nobody is armed and I can’t recall of any shooting on it ever..

And you say don’t arm the criminals, but how do you spot the criminal that hasn’t been caught yet?

We have managed to have very safe places with heavy gun ownership. Our problem places have gang culture. If you remove just parts from our most dangerous cities the problem starts dropping quickly.

Woah, so you mean guns make killing things easier?

You born yesterday, son?

I'll disagree with that with low-end confidence. At least when it comes to adaptation, humans are at a point where we can make our environment adapt to us. I would say it's mostly aesthetic at this point, but plastic surgery has even thrown that up in the air genetically. We're now on a hamster wheel with genetic traits.

Respectfully I think you're misunderstanding what evolution is. The only arrow of evolution is adaptation to any given ecological niche. It just so happens that humans by virtue of making out with our large brain pans (a rather large evolutionary gamble) we can occupy many niches. But that's not any indication of any end.

So we have a subway here as well. On that subway nobody is armed and I can’t recall of any shooting on it ever..

And think kids taking their guns to school legally didn't do any shooting on the subway either.

I'm not sure of what your mental handicap here is, but you have two countries with two different homicide rates, and among all the differences you could look at, and without considering them, you just vomit "must be the guns"...

What a smart cookie you are. Almost as sharp as @My2Cents "Guns make places more dangerous because reasons. Don't worry about any evidence just take my word for it. Bagoo!"

Statistics aren't anecdotes. You're simply abusing language. Do you think England is some kind of outlier as a high income country with a much lower murder rate than the US? Do you want me to post the homicide rates of other high income countries?

Yes the smart thing is to say: “ it can be anything but the guns”

And think kids taking their guns to school legally didn't do any shooting on the subway either.

So if the outcome is the same (no shootings) would you prefer to have those kids with or without guns?

It is not clear cut at all. If you take the top ten safest places it will be split between heavily legally armed and very restrictive. The same will be true on the dangerous end of things.
Culture, gang violence, arguments, mental illness, drugs and alcohol and many more variables are at play and all these things fluctuate a lot. Very hard to use these statistics to find an obvious answer. That said I do think if you took any city and add a shit ton more weapons then there are going to be more deaths due to these weapons. It's just common sense. USA is a special case now because there are already so many guns and criminals and gangs would take advantage if guns were outlawed

It is not one state. You do know that there are good sized chunks of the USA that is still wild. We have large areas where a road has never been built. There are ranches that still exist more than 20 miles across and a few that make those look tiny.

So if the outcome is the same (no shootings) would you prefer to have those kids with or without guns?

It became added cost as they had to train elsewhere. The kids still had the guns.

Did you know that Swiss kids at least in the past had guns at school as well. I don't know if they still do or not but there was a time Swiss kids might be riding to school on a bicycle with a slung rifle.

Statistics aren't anecdotes. You're simply abusing language. Do you think England is some kind of outlier as a high income country with a much lower murder rate than the US? Do you want me to post the homicide rates of other high income countries?

Guy you're not applying a statistic you dope.

This is a statistic.... a regression analysis of gun ownership and homicide rate by the world's countries...

Screen-Shot-2014-03-31-at-Monday-March-31-3.17-AM.png

No statistically significant correlation.

Back