Social People in Western countries with strict gun control don't murder as much as Americans

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
Now I can actually type a reply. I couldn't earlier.

So, you ask how leading causes of death rates are relevant? Well, if you're after decreasing the number of deaths you kind of need to know what the leading causes are . . . no?

@sabretruth just letting you know there's actually a reply here now.

WTF? What point are you trying to make? That since more people die from heart disease or cancer, society shouldn't concern itself with reducing violent deaths?

First, the homicide rate declined in Europe over the same stretch. Second, the gun ownership rate in the US was already very high. Just because a very high gun ownership rate increasing to an even higher rate does not lead to more murders does not mean a low gun ownership rate increasing to a high gun ownership rate wouldn't. Compare the US where gun ownership is high to other high income countries where gun ownership is low, and you'll see that people in the US are 7x more likely to die violently.
Sigh. I tried. You can lead a gun controll to water...

WTF? What point are you trying to make? That since more people die from heart disease or cancer, society shouldn't concern itself with reducing violent deaths?

Yes . . . that's exactly what I'm saying . . . o_O:rolleyes:

If you actually care about what kills the most people you'd actually focus on that . . . but you don't.

That's the point I'm making . . .

Yes . . . that's exactly what I'm saying . . . o_O:rolleyes:

If you actually care about what kills the most people you'd actually focus on that . . . but you don't.

That's the point I'm making . . .

Are you trolling? Reducing causes of natural death and reducing causes of violent death are not mutually exclusive goals.

Are you trolling? Reducing causes of natural death and reducing causes of violent death are not mutually exclusive goals.

No more or no less than you are I guess . . .

You seem to just be focusing on a specific set of causes of death . . . very disingenuous.

No more or no less than you are I guess . . .

You seem to just be focusing on a specific set of causes of death . . . very disingenuous.

What causes of death should I "focus on" that I can't simultaneously address while addressing the US gun violence problem?

What causes of death should I "focus on" that I can't simultaneously address while addressing the US gun violence problem?

Check out the stats for the leading causes of death related to unintentional injuries for starters.

Violent crime is down over the last 20 years . . . you're focusing on a made up problem.

Check out the stats for the leading causes of death related to unintentional injuries for starters.

Violent crime is down over the last 20 years . . . you're focusing on a made up problem.

Murder isn't a made up problem. In the US a person is 7x as likely to die violently as people in other high income countries. There's nothing made up about that. What unintentional death causes should I address? What policies would reduce them?

Murder isn't a made up problem. In the US a person is 7x as likely to die violently as people in other high income countries. There's nothing made up about that.

I didn't say folks were dying due to gun violence. I'm saying it isn't our leading cause of death. So yes, your faux outrage is made up.

What unintentional death causes should I address?

From 1999-2016 the CDC reports a total deaths from unintentional injuries of 2,177,844 (#5 in the top 10). Over 32% of them were from MV crashes. Over 24% were due to poisoning. 19% were fall related. 0.5% were firearm related.

During that same time homicide of any kind wasn't even in the top 10 causes of death.

Suicide was #10 with 51.8% (336,579) of all suicides being firearm-related.

What policies would reduce them?

The US has implemented dozens if not hundreds of MV safety policies to address death and injury from MV crashes while they have reduced them from year-to-year they're still number one. Policy alone won't reduce anything.

I didn't say folks were dying due to gun violence. I'm saying it isn't our leading cause of death. So yes, your faux outrage is made up.

From 1999-2016 the CDC reports a total deaths from unintentional injuries of 2,177,844 (#5 in the top 10). Over 32% of them were from MV crashes. Over 24% were due to poisoning. 19% were fall related. 0.5% were firearm related.

During that same time homicide of any kind wasn't even in the top 10 causes of death.

Suicide was #10 with 51.8% (336,579) of all suicides being firearm-related.

The US has implemented dozens if not hundreds of MV safety policies to address death and injury from MV crashes while they have reduced them from year-to-year they're still number one. Policy alone won't reduce anything.

If there's nothing that can be done policy-wise to significantly reduce car deaths, why would I address it?

Since more people die from incurable illnesses than murder people shouldn't "focus on" reducing murder? Do you have any idea how retarded you sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's nothing that can be done policy-wise to significantly reduce car deaths, why would I address it?

You seemed to care about what folks are or were dying from . . . my bad. :rolleyes:

The point is that more laws/policies won't cause violent crime or firearms-related deaths to decrease significantly enough to justify further trampling on peoples 2nd amendment rights.

How many of these other countries have a thug life culture in all their major cities?

You seemed to care about what folks are or were dying from . . . my bad. :rolleyes:

The point is that more laws/policies won't cause violent crime or firearms-related deaths to decrease significantly enough to justify further trampling on peoples 2nd amendment rights.

INCURABLE diseases can't be cured with policy. A society's level of gun violence OTOH is likely to go down with strict regulation.

Wait - so we can only talk about the leading cause of something? o_O

Then why do we spend so much time talking about the Southern border when most illegals come from visa overstays? Most drugs come through legal ports of entry. But I digress.

The leading cause of murder is gun violence.

I'm not sure why you say we should talk about the leading cause of something but then choose not to talk about the leading cause of that thing.

The OP is very clear that it's addressing "murder". Which is a crime. Heart disease and cancer aren't crimes so I can't see the relevance there.

INCURABLE diseases can't be cured with policy.

Heart disease is incurable?

A society's level of gun violence OTOH is likely to go down with strict regulation.

There aren't enough willing law enforcement bodies in the US to implement the strict regulation you're dreaming of . . .

Wait - so we can only talk about the leading cause of something? o_O

When "you" drone on and on about "saving lives" by implementing some ridiculous strict gun control but ignore what is actually killing the most people it's kinda pathetic. Just come out and say you want all guns gone and leave it at that.

Then why do we spend so much time talking about the Southern border when most illegals come from visa overstays? Most drugs come through legal ports of entry. But I digress.

Pan . . . dude . . . you're definitely digressing.

The leading cause of murder is gun violence.

I don't think I ever said otherwise . . .

I'm not sure why you say we should talk about the leading cause of something but then choose not to talk about the leading cause of that thing.

The OP is very clear that it's addressing "murder". Which is a crime.

I think it's pretty clear myself . . . if someone is actually concerned about saving the most lives then focus on what will actually do that. Take a hike with "your" dream of strict gun control.

Heart disease and cancer aren't crimes so I can't see the relevance there.

Both kill folks . . . you know, cause death . . . if you can't see the relevance in how I relate them to the topic at hand then move on. I've said what I have to on the subject and stand by it.

I think it's pretty clear myself . . . if someone is actually concerned about saving the most lives then focus on what will actually do that. Take a hike with "your" dream of strict gun control.

But the OP isn't about saving lives. It's about reducing murder.

Are you attempting to redirect the conversation to saving lives instead of discussing murder?

Are you attempting to redirect the conversation to saving lives instead of discussing murder?

Arrest everyone.
Bam! Problem solved.

Seems to be more about attempting to implement strict gun control . . .

I'm saying that if all you're after is grabbing guns just come out and say so . . .

Back