Pederneiras: "Bar

He never recovered from the first knockdown.

That beat down reminded me of Cain vs JDS 2/3. Brazillian Beat down

You sure about it being illegal?

I thought it was one of the four ways a fight can be legally stopped.

1) Ref

2) Doctor

3) Corner throwing in the towel

4) Tapping

It obviously would be a loss. But I know Nick Diaz threw in the towel right as the ref was stopping it anyway when Nate was getting beat on by Thompson. Not saying if Nick did it then it must be legal but I would have expected it to be addressed by someone in the media or commentating after if a corner isn't allowed to do that. I am not sure if there is any site that specifically addresses this but if anybody can confirm this i would be interested in knowing. I would think it would be an unnecessary safety risk to not allow a corner that option as they know their fighter the best. And people gave JSDs corner a lot of grief for not throwing in the towel, including other fighters. But maybe people, even fighters, are unclear on the rule.

Also...

Rorion-throws-in-the-towel.gif

...lol. :icon_lol:

I thought the illegality of tossing the towel was kind of the point. It would result in a DQ, ending the fight, same as tossing a shirt or chair into the ring

His corner should've stopped that fight well before the fifth.

This all day. If this is really, truly what his corner was seeing between rounds, the fact that they didn't throw in the towel for their man is absolutely egregious.

(Personally, I think they are just inflating the reality after the fact in order to try and justify an immediate rematch. Given how wrecked TJ's face was after the fight, it's pretty clear that Barao was still firing on a lot of, if not all, cylinders.)

His corner should've stopped that fight well before the fifth.

Exactly.

Makes it seem like they don't really care about Barao's long term health if they allow a concussed guy to keep taking repeated blows to the head over the course of four subsequent rounds until he gets ko'd.

Why would they come out and say this? It can be seen very negatively for them and the sport of MMA.

I thought we'd hear something like this. TJ really rocked him in the first and if Barao wasn't such an insanely tough SOB probably would've gotten the finish in that first round. It looked like Renan wasn't all there for the rest of the fight.

Can't wait for Barao to earn a re-match.

IIRC I think it's against the rules. There wasn't any big controversy when Nick threw the towel because it was at the same time the referee stepped in to stop the fight.

Edit: Not illegal http://www.abcboxing.com/unified_mma_rules.html
Thanks for finding that

And I think it is only fair to you to note as well that it used to be a foul at one point according to the site but because the corner knows their fighter better they decided to remove it as a foul

First KD was brutal

So at what point in a fight like that is the corner under obligation to stop the fight to protect their fighter's health? If you know your guy is fighting while concussed and likely doing long term damage to their brain/cognitive function are you under obligation to stop the fight?

Or is it something you discuss with a fighter before hand and just get clear guidance from them on when they want the fight stopped?

I really don't know what the right answer is. I've only done a few ammy pankration fights so never was really in a position to have to decide that.

He was soooo out of it yet the best moment he had in the fight was immediately after the knockdown at the start of the second.

This sounds like an inflation to reality to justify a rematch that shouldn't happen yet. Barao is tough, but fighting him again this year would be career suicide. Pederneires knows it which is why he is trying to get Barao every advantage in a possible rematch.

To me , Barao did not seem his usual self from the moment the fight started. And then that knockdown. That could have been a GSP-Serra right there. But somehow he survived.

I can't wait for the rematch. War Barao!!

You haven't watched much Renan Barao if you don't think he did look the same as usual when the fight started.

Last edited:
Sounds like an inflation to reality to justify a rematch that shouldn't happen yet. Barao fighting him again this year would be career suicide.

You haven't watched much Renan Barao if you don't think he did look the same as usual when the fight started.

That's because Dillashaw was 10x faster and didn't stand in front of him throwing the occasional flurry like all the rest of Barao's past opponents.

Barao was the same and that was the problem.

Crazy but I just don't see how they can justify that rematch? I mean how? 5 rounds and a finish and they fight again after... Na

10-4 on that!

Barao will need to pummel someone in a tune-up fight first.

It's nice to have another American champ, though.

Cant imagine how it is to fight when you are concussed

Has there ever been a fight that someone dominated for 5 rounds standing before finishing someone that they didn't land a hard shot earlier in the fight or knock someone down? It would be pretty hard to dominate someone for more than 4 rounds without landing hard shots.

The reason Serra/GSP is considered such a fluke is because of the drastic gap in talent. Everybody knew TJ was a tough guy who kept looking better and better each fight. It just was a question of whether he was facing Barao too soon and the answer obviously was no. Fighting hurt sucks. No doubt about it. But the better man that night won. Which is why he was able to knock Barao down in the first place and do what he did the rest of the fight. Sometimes you just gotta tip your cap to other guy

Back