Pederneiras: "Bar

I wonder if MMA will ever crack down on concussions like the NFL has? Will there be a point in time where doctors check a fighter for a concussion, diagnose him and stop the fight for it?

thats pretty crazy - went down on his shield like a man

Agreed. TJ cleaned his clock in the 1st but Barao never stopped fighting back. You could tell Barao was pretty much out of it for the rest of the fight but he never gave up. Barao went balls to wall still wanting to trade with TJ. Mad props to the winner and loser!

He did have his best round in the second though, so I doubt it was that big punch that did it all.

His corner should've stopped that fight well before the fifth.

Crazy but I just don't see how they can justify that rematch? I mean how? 5 rounds and a finish and they fight again after... Na

I don't think anyone in a position of power is calling for an immediate rematch. I do think that the division is thin enough at the top that Barao can get another shot after beating someone in a number 1 contender's matchup. That said, he's already beaten Faber twice and subbed McDonald and I'd assume that Assuncao is going to be Dillashaw's next opponent. He needs to fight either Cruz or Mizugaki. If he wins either fight, he's the next logical opponent.

Last edited:
That fight was a lot like Penn VS Sanchez and Velasquez VS Dos Santos I : the winners rocked their opponents early in the first and they never seemed to recover. From that moment they just seemed one second late on just about everything that happened in the fights.

I feel like this type of information should have been kept private.

It seems like Cruz has been on the sidelines for like 6 years....

If you look at join dates in this thread, most people have never seen him fight on their current account...

It is illegal and results in an instant DQ.
You sure about it being illegal?

I thought it was one of the four ways a fight can be legally stopped.

1) Ref

2) Doctor

3) Corner throwing in the towel

4) Tapping

It obviously would be a loss. But I know Nick Diaz threw in the towel right as the ref was stopping it anyway when Nate was getting beat on by Thompson. Not saying if Nick did it then it must be legal but I would have expected it to be addressed by someone in the media or commentating after if a corner isn't allowed to do that. I am not sure if there is any site that specifically addresses this but if anybody can confirm this i would be interested in knowing. I would think it would be an unnecessary safety risk to not allow a corner that option as they know their fighter the best. And people gave JSDs corner a lot of grief for not throwing in the towel, including other fighters. But maybe people, even fighters, are unclear on the rule.

You sure about it being illegal?

I thought it was one of the four ways a fight can be legally stopped.

1) Ref

2) Doctor

3) Corner throwing in the towel

4) Tapping

It obviously would be a loss. But I know Nick Diaz threw in the towel right as the ref was stopping it anyway when Nate was getting beat on by Thompson. Not saying if Nick did it then it must be legal but I would have expected it to be addressed by someone in the media or commentating after if a corner isn't allowed to do that. I am not sure if there is any site that specifically addresses this but if anybody can confirm this i would be interested in knowing. I would think it would be an unnecessary safety risk to not allow a corner that option as they know their fighter the best. And people gave JSDs corner a lot of grief for not throwing in the towel, including other fighters. But maybe people, even fighters, are unclear on the rule.

IIRC I think it's against the rules. There wasn't any big controversy when Nick threw the towel because it was at the same time the referee stepped in to stop the fight.

Edit: Not illegal http://www.abcboxing.com/unified_mma_rules.html

Back