Patrick Cummins.....Top 15?!

I am not too surprised after his last fight. I can see that he really does have some talent and skills at a high level on the ground.

I don't know if he can fill in the gaps though. If you can't defend against strikers or put up some offensive stuff while standing in the UFC right now, you will hit the ceiling hard.

I'll be honest, after seeing the way Cormier ran through him, I thought the guy was all talk and would be gone after his next fight.

Suprisingly he's managed to put together a decent 3 fight win streak and looking at the rankings is now 15th in the LHW rankings.

Anyone else surprised to see him actually doing well In the UFC?

Also who do people want to see him face next?

I wouldn't mind seeing him face Manuwa in his comeback fight or maybe Lil Nog or Shogun.

What about you guys?

No I didn't see him doing even decent

At the same time, they gave him a few days to train against an elite guy.

PC (hey PC and DC, just noticed that!) is a good wrestler and has a good top game so he may stick around for a while. He looks a bit slow and plodding to me but he seems to be doing ok

I love the barista mythology, or rather how inane it is. It seems there are a good amount of Shertards who believe that Joe Silva and Sean Shelby were buying coffee in Pennsylvania and get an e-mail on their phones about Evans being injured, look up and say "hey, you look like you can fight, want to face DC in the UFC?"

Nobody thought that

I love how people come onto threads and call people shertards over things they didn't say or have never said.

You say there is a good amount of posters that believe that? I say you can't find two posts where anybody actually though that was the scenario

The dude is probably the most boring fighter at LHW.
His last couple of fights he just eked out the win.

Boring maybe eked out the win, no. He clearly won his last fight 30-27, the fight before that was scored in his favor at 30-27, 30-25 and 30-24, then the opponent before that he finished within 2 rounds.

Do you watch his fights?

Nobody thought that

I love how people come onto threads and call people shertards over things they didn't say or have never said.

You say there is a good amount of posters that believe that? I say you can't find two posts where anybody actually though that was the scenario

funny-literal-photo-6.jpg

You're being too literal.

What I mean is that many Sherdoggers (maybe Shertards was too rough) constantly reference Cummins day job at a coffee shop as being somehow indicative of his abilities or worthiness to fight in the UFC. Can't find two posts? There are three in this thread alone.

Look at it this way: People constantly deride Cummins as a barista but I don't remember anyone saying Rich Franklin was just some teacher the UFC plucked from obscurity.

Boring maybe eked out the win, no. He clearly won his last fight 30-27, the fight before that was scored in his favor at 30-27, 30-25 and 30-24, then the opponent before that he finished within 2 rounds.

Do you watch his fights?

Come to think of it i might have fallen asleep 🐹

I think he deserves to be higher than 15th.

I think he beats Lil Nog, and Shogun. Both of them should retire, I haven't seen Manuwa against a legit wrestler so I have no idea how that fight would go. I wouldn't mind seeing him against OSP.

Well considering he would probably beat Shogun, Lil Nog and Henderson at this point, kind of pathetic that a part-time fighter is top 10 in the biggest organization for a sport in the world.

funny-literal-photo-6.jpg

You're being too literal.

What I mean is that many Sherdoggers (maybe Shertards was too rough) constantly reference Cummins day job at a coffee shop as being somehow indicative of his abilities or worthiness to fight in the UFC. Can't find two posts? There are three in this thread alone.

Look at it this way: People constantly deride Cummins as a barista but I don't remember anyone saying Rich Franklin was just some teacher the UFC plucked from obscurity.
ReallIy ? Because thats exactly how the UFC marketed Rich Franklin from day 1. "The Math teacher who became a world champ".

205 is a relatively thin division. Doesn't really surprise me that he can find a place in the top 15.

I'm surprised he's in the top 15. I personally have Ryan Jimmo and Anthony Perosh ahead of him in my rankings.

ReallIy ? Because thats exactly how the UFC marketed Rich Franklin from day 1. "The Math teacher who became a world champ".

And fans were saying he didn't belong because of it? You're making my point. If Franklin can become champ "despite" being a teacher, why can't Cummins "despite" being a barista?*

If you don't like the Franklin example, take Lytle as firefighter instead.

*I'm not endorsing the idea that Cummins could ever be champ.

I'll be honest, after seeing the way Cormier ran through him, I thought the guy was all talk and would be gone after his next fight.

Suprisingly he's managed to put together a decent 3 fight win streak and looking at the rankings is now 15th in the LHW rankings.

Anyone else surprised to see him actually doing well In the UFC?

Also who do people want to see him face next?

I wouldn't mind seeing him face Manuwa in his comeback fight or maybe Lil Nog or Shogun.

What about you guys?

I am surprised, to be honest. He did take the DC fight on like 2 weeks notice having not fought in nearly a year, though, so in retrospect it may not have been fair to judge him by that performance in the first place. He's pretty good and while I don't think he is or will be as good as DC, it would be interesting to see him fight his way up the ladder to get another crack at him, just to see if it'd be any different.

I know some people complain that he's boring, but I actually find his fights fairly entertaining. He's shown some serious aggression on the ground with his GNP.

After his second fight, when he got something like 30-24 30-26 haha that was hilarious, and yeah i knew he had talent. at least in the smothering department. if he can work more on GnP or submissions, hed be a beast

He will grapplefuck the shit out of guys without really solid TDD and powerful striking; I can see him getting into the fringe top-10 but he's going to have to go through some really dangerous guys to make it into the top 10.

Cummins will destroy almost all opposition, the hype is real, 205 is on blast.

His stand up looked terrible in his last fight. It looks like he's never punched before.

There's a pretty big gap between him and the top ten still.

I still can't get over Maldonado being #13.

He's hardly even UFC quality and shouldn't be anywhere near top 15.

yup, again that shows how shallow the mma/ufc talent pool is overall. And 205 aint a stacked a division in the ufc.

I know, didn't some frigging engineer almost beat Brock before gassing out? HW is the same thing.

Back