Patrick Cummins.....Top 15?!

His wrestling is top notch, but I think he's too slow to hang with the ranked guys in his division. It seems like he moves in slow motion sometimes

Because his skills are pretty bad.

His wins over Stringer and Villante out of all people consisted of him getting owned until they gassed in embarrassing way.

Maldonado has good cardio, and unbelievable heart, toughness and that 'fighter's mentality' and props to him for that, but his skills are indeed somehow awful for supposedly top 15 fighter.

yeah, he is still pretty sloppy for sure. But 205 now is not the toughest division thus to crack top 10, he actually has a chance.

Jones, DC, Gus and Rumble are really the best of the division, after that it falls pretty hard.

Phil Davis is next but he loses to those 4 pretty easily, his win over Gus was a long time ago, 4 years ago wasn't it? I think he can be up there but needs more authority in his striking and mix it better with his wrestling.

After that there's Texeira, Bader, OSP, who else?

Jones, DC, Gus and Rumble are really the best of the division, after that it falls pretty hard.

Phil Davis is next but he loses to those 4 pretty easily, his win over Gus was a long time ago, 4 years ago wasn't it? I think he can be up there but needs more authority in his striking and mix it better with his wrestling.

After that there's Texeira, Bader, OSP, who else?

Rashad.

The Cormier hight could have been a bit more competitive if he had a full camp, he did ok.

That's not saying much. any pro sport/athlete in the top 15 of a position or weight class would out do 99.99999% of worlds population in his/her particular position/role. Also in most other pro sports, the top 15th (might it be short stop, point guard, cornerback, tennis player, race car driver, defender, etc.) would make more than 99.99% of the world population as well.

Exactly. So how can you be top 15 at the world in anything and be "pretty fuckin' awful?"

Pretty dumb comment right?

Because his skills are pretty bad.

His wins over Stringer and Villante out of all people consisted of him getting owned until they gassed in embarrassing way.

Maldonado has good cardio, and unbelievable heart, toughness and that 'fighter's mentality' and props to him for that, but his skills are indeed somehow awful for supposedly top 15 fighter.

It's mostly 'cause guys want to take him down and Maldonado, for some reason, still hasn't really shown any significant improvement in his TDD or on the mat.

He has gotten better over the years in those aspects, but it's still nothing special at all. On the feet, he's definitely really good but his defense isn't really something that shines either.

He's one of my favourite fighters to watch because he always brings it, but if he really wants to be a legit top 10 or something someday, he really, really needs to work on his overall grappling. He's shown some good improvement in the clinch, not just with his strikes, but he has improved since his earlier days in the UFC, and on the mat, his defense has definitely become better but it's still not enough. He seriously needs to work on his grappling.

And it seems like he'll be losing, and then he just absorbs his opponents' stamina and then TKO them. It's kinda funny to me. It's like he literally absorbs their stamina somehow. He's like Android 19 from DBZ, lol.

We haven't really seen him getting hit by anyone else other then DC maybe he has a bad chin. We'll see how good he is when he can't get a take down and force to fight standing.

And it seems like he'll be losing, and then he just absorbs his opponents' stamina and then TKO them. It's kinda funny to me. It's like he literally absorbs their stamina somehow. He's like Android 19 from DBZ, lol.

More like Homer Simpson in boxing. That extra quarter inch of skull lets him take a pounding and when they punch themselves out, he strikes.

the_homer_they_fall.jpg

Cummins is a tough dude. Imagine working in a coffee shop and your cell rings and its someone saying how would you like to fight undefeated heavy weight Daniel Cormier in 2 weeks, and you actually say yes.

You could almost confuse him with Phil Davis, only difference is the color, cummins is blonde and davis has brown hair. If they would both have blonde hair I couldnt not see who is who.

No not surprised to see him doing well.

Durkin has elite wrestling skills, just because he could not impose them on DC does not take that away. If it did then DC is an average wrestler at best based on the Jones fight. And as much as I think DC would have got the win over Pat regardless you have to consider the 4 days notice factor.

That said he needs some serious work on his stand up and hopefully we will get to see that evolution.

What do people see in him? His striking is absolutely atrocious, he lays on people, and his gas tank is mediocre. I see nothing special.

Last edited:
What do people see in him? His striking is absolutely atrocious, he lays on people, and his gas tank is mediocre. I see nothing special.

Supposedly Cummins is one of those guys that wrecks everyone in the gym. Someone posted an interview about a month ago that described it. He is ridiculously good in the gym but maybe has nerves or something when it comes fight time, I dunno.

Yeah top 15 for sure, and could possibly break top 10. He has excellent wrestling and stay pretty active on the ground. His striking is fairly non existent but will probably get better as he progresses.

A fight with someone along the lines of Corey Anderson, Marcos De Lima, or maybe even a fight with Blachowicz could be next.

Supposedly Cummins is one of those guys that wrecks everyone in the gym. Someone posted an interview about a month ago that described it. He is ridiculously good in the gym but maybe has nerves or something when it comes fight time, I dunno.

Yeah I think I saw this a couple of different places. Fingers crossed he can bring that into the cage with him soon.

I think all the gym talk is made up bullshit for hype lol. Only person I saw him outwrestling was Munoz lol

Back