Pancrase: The Forgotten Organization

Gotch also wanted Funaki to ban striking. He believed "pure catch wrestling" can win any fights in the ring or street.

I'm interested in the source about this. Seems it contradicts what he was saying when he was creating his Pancrase adding striking to his wrestling.

Source was Funaki's youtube channel.

I've seen Gotch coaching Japanese wrestlers dirty boxing to facilitate grappling moves. What Pancrase guys were doing in the ring was more like chute boxe.

I remember after Pancrase got rid off the hybrid wrestling rule set, for some reason they adopted what it seemed full vale-tudo rule set for a brief.

They matched up in 1999 Masakatsu Funaki vs a very underrated Ebenezer Fontes Braga, one of the best LHWs at the time, and a very agressive, genuine vale-tudo fighter.

Braga headbutted the shit out of Funaki in that fight, who showed his toughness and made several leg lock attempts but to no avail.

The fight was scored a draw because that was the agreement if it went the distance, but Funaki got beat and took serious punishment that night.

//

On another note, Kiuma Kunioku was the first two division champion in the history of MMA, becoming MW and WW Pancrase champ (under modern rule set), being himself a small LW by modern standards.

Last edited:
Pancrase Japan has a new home Pancrase 326 will be held at Belle Salle Takadanobaba in Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo on March 21st and said to making big announcement soon . .

Coming 2022 to USA It’s official. Chris Lights Out Lytle is coming out of retirement to face Nate The Great Marquardt for the Welterweight King of Pancrase title.

"As this will be 100% a shoot as Chris has never asked for a UFC title match even beating former UFC champion Matt Serra. Nate Marquardt is also a UFC and Pancrase veteran having memorable bouts in ADCC. Who is gonna win. Original Pancrase rules from rope escapes to Kickpads and a 15 min time limit."
This will be 2022
..View attachment 900428

*Also Shooto is no longer a ONE feeder... and revamping their VTJ

This is amazing. I loved old Pancrase and still go back and watch matches. I hope it comes back.

I remember that, after Pancrase got rid off the hybrid wrestling rule set, for some reason they adopted what it seemed full vale-tudo rule set for a brief.

They matched up in 1999 Masakatsu Funaki vs a very underrated Ebenezer Fontes Braga, one of the best LHWs at the time, and a very agressive, genuine vale-tudo fighter.

Braga headbutted the shit out of Funaki in that fight, who showed his toughness and made several leg lock attempts but to no avail.

The fight was scored a draw because that was the agreement if it went the distance, but Funaki got beat and took serious punishment that night.

//

On another note, Kiuma Kunioku was the first two division champion in the history of MMA, becoming MW and WW Pancrase champ (under modern rule set), being himself a small LW by modern standards.
Kunioku has such an underrated resume. Look at all the great scalps on there!

The ruleset is perfect for an intense and real fighting without having the fighters mauled. Minor events should adopted this formula instead to have two semi amateurs massacre each other for chicken shit money

The ruleset is perfect for an intense and real fighting without having the fighters mauled. Minor events should adopted this formula instead to have two semi amateurs massacre each other for chicken shit money

This should be the defult rule set for fighters over 40. older fighters have a ton of skills to demonstrate in the ring but are fragile and don't want to get hurt so this is the perfect ruleset.

I worked with a guy who claimed to have black belt in Pancrase under Bas Rutten. He also claimed to have trained at Pat Miletich's school. The guy owns an MMA school in my area, so I give him the benefit of the doubt. Just never new Pancrase awarded grading belts.

I worked with a guy who claimed to have black belt in Pancrase under Bas Rutten. He also claimed to have trained at Pat Miletich's school. The guy owns an MMA school in my area, so I give him the benefit of the doubt. Just never new Pancrase awarded grading belts.

Was he good?

There have been a number of "Pancrase" gyms around over the years. If you can grade in boxing and muay thai, I'm not surprised any of these gyms would have a grading system too.

Was he good?

No clue. We had office jobs together before he opened his gym. I knew him before MMA got huge in North America so, on the one hand, I can't find any fight records for him online but, on the other hand, he's old school and if everything he says is true he would have been fighting at a time when MMA was very niche and no one was really tracking it like they do today. As a co-worker, he was super legit. Super nice guy, not at all a boaster, never even mentioned MMA at work (we only started chatting cause I noticed he had a tuque from a local MMA school) . . . never gave me the impression he'd lie about anything. So I can't substantiate any of what he told me, but he seems like a solid legit guy so I have no reason to doubt him.

You can see his purported credentials on his school's web page:

https://www.experiencemma.com/copy-of-jiu-jitsu-1

There have been a number of "Pancrase" gyms around over the years. If you can grade in boxing and muay thai, I'm not surprised any of these gyms would have a grading system too.

For sure. I'd just never heard of it until he told me about it. I always though Pancrase was a promotion and ruleset; not so much a style or genre.

For sure. I'd just never heard of it until he told me about it. I always though Pancrase was a promotion and ruleset; not so much a style or genre.
I guess it's the same way Shooto covers those too mate.

It was probably easier to make those connections before the UFC and the way it presents itself became synonymous with MMA.

The irony is that old Pancrase is all people remember.

Nobody gives credit to Pancrase's middle years Nobody mentions Kitaoka beating Carlos Condit and Paul Daley in Pancrase. Guys like Daizo Ishige have been completely lost to MMA history.

Nor do people give credit to modern Pancrase for all of their modern contenders (guys like Takashi Sato, Yoshinori Horie, Yuya Wakamatsu).

The irony is that old Pancrase is all people remember.

Nobody gives credit to Pancrase's middle years Nobody mentions Kitaoka beating Carlos Condit and Paul Daley in Pancrase. Guys like Daizo Ishige have been completely lost to MMA history.

Nor do people give credit to modern Pancrase for all of their modern contenders (guys like Takashi Sato, Yoshinori Horie, Yuya Wakamatsu).

You have a point but realistically, modern Pancrase is basically a regional feeder league, just as many others, while back in the day was one of the best mma orgs in the planet, so that's what made it relevant.

Besides, calling Sato or Horie "contenders" seems way too generous.

Horie just completely dominated Sasaki. How can you not call him a contender?

Because Sasaki is a legitimate contender at 145, right?

I think attaching the tag "contender" in this thread to a guy who isnt even top50, maybe not even toop100, in his division is pretty pointless. Same for Sato.

I'd say the fact that these are the best guys you can highlight explains why modern Pancrase isnt talked about much.

Back