Pancrase: The Forgotten Organization

Pancrase Japan has a new home Pancrase 326 will be held at Belle Salle Takadanobaba in Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo on March 21st and said to making big announcement soon . .

Coming 2022 to USA It’s official. Chris Lights Out Lytle is coming out of retirement to face Nate The Great Marquardt for the Welterweight King of Pancrase title.

"As this will be 100% a shoot as Chris has never asked for a UFC title match even beating former UFC champion Matt Serra. Nate Marquardt is also a UFC and Pancrase veteran having memorable bouts in ADCC. Who is gonna win. Original Pancrase rules from rope escapes to Kickpads and a 15 min time limit."
This will be 2022
..262785887_122535306897107_4322355415223218611_n.jpg

*Also Shooto is no longer a ONE feeder... and revamping their VTJ

Coming 2022 to USA It’s official. Chris Lights Out Lytle is coming out of retirement to face Nate The Great Marquardt for the Welterweight King of Pancrase title.
This isnt actually Pancrase. This is an American who is fraudulently using their brand name. The real Pancrase still runs shows almost monthly in Japan, and only Japan.

After Sakai took over the management, Pancrase has been just the brand name and represented nothing relevant to the original establishment Ozaki created with Funaki/Suzuki.

Akira Maeda who was the legendary antagonistic figure for Pancrase hosted a mini event last year where he sat down with Sakai face to face to discuss the past and future of the organization and jmma. Maeda asserted the only problem he'd ever had with Pancrase was ozaki who got in his way to promote his own business and now everything is cool. Sakai seemed to be completely content with maeda's statement. (According to Anjo, maeda ia a pathological liar who cannot recall a single event from the past correctly. )

Thank you for the corrections. I had forgotten about Shooto.

SHOOTO: THE FORGOTTEN ORGANIZATION

Pancrase was named by Karl Gotch who was the coach and mentor of UWF. His involvement with Pancrase was lost when Funaki didn't reply the letter by which Gotch basically told Funaki to dump Ken shamrock.

Pancrase was named by Karl Gotch who was the coach and mentor of UWF. His involvement with Pancrase was lost when Funaki didn't reply the letter by which Gotch basically told Funaki to dump Ken shamrock.
What had Gotch against Shamrock?

The second oldest MMA organization in the world, Pancrase was founded in January 1993 by former All Japan Pro Wrestlers, Masakatsu Funaki, Minoru Suzaki and Takaku Fuke. Pancrase would be based on pure shoot-style wrestling with limited gimmicks. The inspiration to create Pancrase came from an earlier mixed combat bout between Muhammad Ali (boxer) and Antonio Inoki (wrestler) in 1976.The very first King of Pucrases would later find success in numerous MMA orgaznaition like the UFC and Pride, Ken Wayne Shamrock. The hybrid based orgaznaitijn would also begin the careers of other notable MMA and even K-1 fighters such as Bas Rutten, Frank Shamrock, Semmy Schilt, Chris Lytle, Jason DeLucia, Kazuo Miskai, Yuki Kondo, Guy Mezger, Nathan Marquradt and Josh Barnett. Pancrase still holds events to the current day. Do we have any people that followed or current still follow Pancrase today? Plisse feel free to relate your thoughts here. One fight i particular i remember was Bas Rutten vs Masakatsu Funaki held on September 7, 1996 in which Rutten defended the King of Pancrase in brutal fashion. Funaki is also one of the most skilled grapplers i have ever seen in NHB/MMA history.

Bas was the first guy I ever seen ko someone with an open palm strike.

That guy was ahead of his time.

Ken depended heavily on his strength. Gotch resided in Florida and he wasn't a big fan of the concentrated juice Ken was routinely consuming.

Gotch also wanted Funaki to ban striking. He believed "pure catch wrestling" can win any fights in the ring or street.
Wasn't ol' Karl also of the opinion that pins should be introduced as a winning method as well?

Bas was the first guy I ever seen ko someone with an open palm strike.

That guy was ahead of his time.

In the sport of sumo, slap hand knocking down male fighters is not super rare.

Masakatsu Funaki was the first professional fighter who incorporated palm strike into mma after he learned this style with late Shihan Horie.

As far as I know or I can remember, slap hand as a tool to win a fight in the modern striking competition was introduced by shidokan karate, one of the few schools that challenged mma in the beginning.

In the sport of sumo, slap hand knocking down male fighters is not super rare.

Masakatsu Funaki was the first professional fighter who incorporated palm strike into mma after he learned this style with late Shihan Horie.

As far as I know or I can remember, slap hand as a tool to win a fight in the modern striking competition was introduced by shidokan karate, one of the few schools that challenged mma in the beginning.

I specifically said knock out sir.

In general many MMA fans have never heard of Pancrase, save the dedicated few.

In 2005, during the first TUF in series, Chris Leben kept wearing what appeared to be a Pancrase wristband all the time (I guess he got it from his Oregonian teammate, Ed Herman after the shorthuse traveled to Japan to fight in Pancrase.) And nobody was like "what the hell is that?" Pancrase was not a new thing to 2005 mma fans or fighters.

In 2007, Frank shamrock said "my style is Pancrase" in one of the promotional videos elite XC or strikeforce made for a PPV event. Again, nobody questioned about the Japanese organization Frank was bringing up in 2007.

Something happened in 2010's. And we can no longer have the same mma we had in the 90's.

Last edited:

Ealier and much higher profiled fight from RINGS. Bas was going to join RINGS before he was kidnapped by Pancrase recruiters.

Can you read?
I said "THAT I EVER SEEN"...Wow, just wow.

Can you read?
I said "THAT I EVER SEEN"...Wow, just wow.

Look again what I quoted.

Most American or global viewers didn't even know it was possible to win a fight with leglocks when they saw Ken shamrock beat Patrick Smith in UFC 1. That was actually an ordinary technique in japan and Russia, nothing ahead of time. Some pathetic idiots are still believing Ken shamrock invented leglocks because they had not seen anything like that before and their personal watching experience is what matters to them.

In 2004, during the first TUF in series, Chris Leben kept wearing what appeared to be a Pancrase wristband all the time (I guess he got it from his Oregonian teammate, Ed Herman after the shorthuse traveled to Japan to fight in Pancrase.) And nobody was like "what the hell is that?" Pancrase was not a new thing to 2004 mma fans or fighters.

In 2007, Frank shamrock said "my style is Pancrase" in one of the promotional videos elite XC or strikeforce made for a PvP event. Again, nobody questioned about the Japanese organization frank was bringing up in 2007.

Something happened in 2010's. And we can no longer have the same mma we had in the 90's.

I personally enjoyed the Pancrase organization from the early 1990's and one of my favorite fighters is its co founder, Masakatsu Funaki. It hardly ever gets its "due" around here except from the experienced accounts. You have a good understanding of Pancrase however, and its rather pleasing to see some on here remember it.

The second oldest MMA organization in the world, Pancrase was founded in January 1993 by former All Japan Pro Wrestlers, Masakatsu Funaki, Minoru Suzaki and Takaku Fuke. Pancrase would be based on pure shoot-style wrestling with limited gimmicks. The inspiration to create Pancrase came from an earlier mixed combat bout between Muhammad Ali (boxer) and Antonio Inoki (wrestler) in 1976.The very first King of Pucrases would later find success in numerous MMA orgaznaition like the UFC and Pride, Ken Wayne Shamrock. The hybrid based orgaznaitijn would also begin the careers of other notable MMA and even K-1 fighters such as Bas Rutten, Frank Shamrock, Semmy Schilt, Chris Lytle, Jason DeLucia, Kazuo Miskai, Yuki Kondo, Guy Mezger, Nathan Marquradt and Josh Barnett. Pancrase still holds events to the current day. Do we have any people that followed or current still follow Pancrase today? Plisse feel free to relate your thoughts here. One fight i particular i remember was Bas Rutten vs Masakatsu Funaki held on September 7, 1996 in which Rutten defended the King of Pancrase in brutal fashion. Funaki is also one of the most skilled grapplers i have ever seen in NHB/MMA history.

Almost all pancrase fans here are guys who watched historical highlight vids of Funaki, Bas, Ken and Frank after learning about it through the UFC. Very few old schoolers who actually caught it when it was going back in the day. I remember it being advertized as 'Yes we are Hybrid wrestling' on WWF programming in the late 90's when Ken was debuting.

It had its place in the history of the sport.

Almost all pancrase fans here are guys who watched historical highlight vids of Funaki, Bas, Ken and Frank after learning about it through the UFC. Very few old schoolers who actually caught it when it was going back in the day. I remember it being advertized as 'Yes we are Hybrid wrestling' on WWF programming in the late 90's when Ken was debuting.

It had its place in the history of the sport.

Incredibly it still is active today.

Back