Palhares one fight away from being cut?

MMALeBronJames

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He's 0-2 in his last 2 fights now, wins only via heel hooks and when being pressured he folds. Now it seems like he's susceptible to getting KO'd. If he doesn't win his next fight I doubt he'll be kept in the UFC.

Nah. He'll get two gimme opponents then lose when he gets a step up again.

I feel bad for Palhares, you hear his back story and you want him to succeed so much but he just has some glaring holes in his game that stop him going even further than he has. I don't think he'll get cut with one more loss, I assume they'll give him a squash match next though.

lombards striking was just way too much for palhares, he's an exciting fighter though so it's not likely he will get cut unless he loses his next two

I feel bad for Palhares, you hear his back story and you want him to succeed so much but he just has some glaring holes in his game that stop him going even further than he has. I don't think he'll get cut with one more loss, I assume they'll give him a squash match next though.

hopefully...his striking looked pretty good until Hector started connecting.

You make it sound like "wins only via heel hooks" is a bad thing

palhares needs to round out his game much more to be more effective. He has a strength that everyone knows so it makes it difficult to implement ones game sometimes.

He could be cut now and he wouldn't be able to complain. That was pathetic. I'm sure his camp told him to depend less on the leg locks. He tried to fight more "normally", and...

The worst thing is a grappler trying to strike. He should have done what he does well. Or TRIED at least. Not necessarily kneebars, but jesus - he's an ADCC runner up! He didn't even use his jitz!

I'm disappointed. And sad. And pissed.

And still rooting for him ;(

Gosh i just hope he gets a streak going, and next time he gets a bigger opponent he prepares better.

I don't know WTF Bustamante is doing with him, whatever it is it's not working.

He needs to move his camp or just stick to grappling in my opinion. He is not learning.

Palhares was once the scariest man at mw, besides maybe the champ. Lombard had him running and Belcher made him quit. He'll probly get some softballs to build him back up before getting smashed by a top 15 guy again

Nah, he's a fan favorite and puts on good fights.

He's 0-2 in his last 2 fights now, wins only via heel hooks and when being pressured he folds. Now it seems like he's susceptible to getting KO'd. If he doesn't win his next fight I doubt he'll be kept in the UFC.

Uhhh no. He is 7-4 in the UFC, he will have to lose at least 2 more before he is in any danger of being cut and more than likely he will be spoon fed a Massenzio type fight next to get him back on track.

It reminded me of Maia vs. Weidman. Grapplers are supposed to fight on the floor. He didn't even try that.

Now that Demian is at welterweight, he uses his physical advantage to bring the fight to the floor without losing much time on top. Paul already has this advantage at MW. He doesn't need to strike much.

I don't think he will be cut but he is never going to be top, already 32, lost 2 last fight by KO(much much worse for your career and hype than a decision)

It reminded me of Maia vs. Weidman. Grapplers are supposed to fight on the floor. He didn't even try that.

Now that Demian is at welterweight, he uses his physical advantage to bring the fight to the floor without losing much time on top. Paul already has this advantage at MW. He doesn't need to strike much.

To be honest it seems very hard for guys without a background in wrestling or judo to take down Weidman or Lombard.

To be honest it seems very hard for guys without a background in wrestling or judo to take down Weidman or Lombard.

Easier than striking against Lombard. Specially for a completely unidimensional fighter.

Gosh i just hope he gets a streak going, and next time he gets a bigger opponent he prepares better.

I don't know WTF Bustamante is doing with him, whatever it is it's not working.

He needs to move his camp or just stick to grappling in my opinion. He is not learning.

to me it's not Bustamante's fault. It's a matter of him having a sort of "bully" mentality, imo. WHen he fights someone he can steamroll such as Massenzio, or Drwal...someone who is intimidated by the gorund, he does great and looks like a beast. When he fights someone like Belcher or Lombard, or Marquardt who dictates what goes on in the fight, he folds like a lawnchair. Things have to be going his way or he can't handle not being able to execute his gameplan...

.I'm no fighter, but that's what it looks like from an outsider's perspective.

He just lost to a better fighter, really.

He wrecks 80% of the MW div. He's going to be fine.

Back