Painting/Drawing Tutorials

Edited the OP with some drawings I've done over the years if you want to get an idea for my starting point lol.

Well you're much better than i expected.. Judging by how you wrote your first
post haha. Keep it up.

Blitz is incredible. I don't see him post much anymore though.

He's doesn't come around that much anymore sadly.. Legit probably the nicest person I know and one incredibly talented artist. I'll tell him you said hey.

Well you're much better than i expected.. Judging by how you wrote your first
post haha. Keep it up.

I didn't know you were an artist as well. You're a true renaissance man!

Edited the OP with some drawings I've done over the years if you want to get an idea for my starting point lol.
You've got a great sense of rendering, especially with the soft shading techniques.

I would suggest looking up composition techniques to either balance the image or create a sense of dynamism/movement. Comic book artist Jason Pearson would do these wonderful sketches where he'd incorporate simple shapes like squares and rectangles to pull focus on his main image.

He would pose his figures so they'd form semi-recognizable shapes. For instance, he found women could be depicted real sexy if he arched their bodies into the shape of a number 2.

Great thread. I hope to see some more insight. I completely disagree with the guy saying it can't be taught. I was never born with the natural ability and everyone knows my art pieces always start off looking like shit but I'm extremely patient and I sit there and go at it again and again and again until I get it right. Has nothing to do with talent. Its about how much you want it. How much you love it. If you're not naturally gifted, it takes a lot of patience. Lot of people aren't patient. I've tried "teaching" complete noobs who's drawings are horrible (keep in mind I'm no pro but some people enjoy my rough style sketching) and the one thing they always lack is patience. Then I've had guys who I've always been more "talented" than but I quit art in middle school (lack of passion) while they made a career out of it and have now far surpassed me.

Another thing is that you can't say their drawings suck just cuz you don't like it. I thought my sketchy style sucked but some people like it. I guess its not always about making things realistic. I'm trying to learn how to draw realistic, though. I've never tried learning from anyone else. I had been years since I did any artwork. I'm back but this time I'm ready to be humbled and actually learn from the best. And even if I don't plan on making photo realistic drawings my main thing, I wanna learn just so I can say I did it.

Anyway, I don't even know what I just said.

Main point: anyone can learn provided they like it, are pantient, and puts in the effort.*I was once hopeless, then some people started liking my work, guys with less "talent" than me went on to learn and far surpass me. I'm back and I wanna learn and this thread comes up on Sherdog. The stars are aligning. Must be aliens.

Last edited:
You've got a great sense of rendering, especially with the soft shading techniques.

I would suggest looking up composition techniques to either balance the image or create a sense of dynamism/movement. Comic book artist Jason Pearson would do these wonderful sketches where he'd incorporate simple shapes like squares and rectangles to pull focus on his main image.

He would pose his figures so they'd form semi-recognizable shapes. For instance, he found women could be depicted real sexy if he arched their bodies into the shape of a number 2.

Thanks

And yeah, the images are pretty boring but this is exactly the kind of advice looking for. I feel like I have a decent enough base to start from but it's these more advanced techniques that can hopefully lead to much more dynamic and creative drawings.

Great thread. I hope to see some more insight. I completely disagree with the guy saying it can't be taught. I was never born with the natural ability and everyone knows my art pieces always start off looking like shit but I'm extremely patient and I sit there and go at it again and again and again until I get it right. Has nothing to do with talent. Its about how much you want it. How much you love it. If you're not naturally gifted, it takes a lot of patience. Lot of people aren't patient. I've tried "teaching" complete noobs who's drawings are horrible (keep in mind I'm no pro but some people enjoy my rough style sketching) and the one thing they always lack is patience. Then I've had guys who I've always been more "talented" than but I quit art in middle school (lack of passion) while they made a career out of it and have now far surpassed me.

That is a really naive thing to say, sure lots of practice and patience are the most important things and anyone can improve but your talent determinate just how much.

What subject matter are you interested in for your painting?

What subject matter are you interested in for your painting?

I don't have anything specific in mind, like my drawings though I like to do stuff that's based in realism.

The biggest challenges are brush techniques and I need a much better understanding of color. I'd like to stay with oils. I love the way they blend.

Another thing is that you can't say their drawings suck just cuz you don't like it. I thought my sketchy style sucked but some people like it. I guess its not always about making things realistic. I'm trying to learn how to draw realistic, though. I've never tried learning from anyone else. I had been years since I did any artwork. I'm back but this time I'm ready to be humbled and actually learn from the best. And even if I don't plan on making photo realistic drawings my main thing, I wanna learn just so I can say I did it.

Anyway, I don't even know what I just said.

Main point: anyone can learn provided they like it, are pantient, and puts in the effort.*I was once hopeless, then some people started liking my work, guys with less "talent" than me went on to learn and far surpass me. I'm back and I wanna learn and this thread comes up on Sherdog. The stars are aligning. Must be aliens.

You sound edgy, just post a picture of a piece you've done :)

I don't have anything specific in mind, like my drawings though I like to do stuff that's based in realism.

The biggest challenges are brush techniques and I need a much better understanding of color. I'd like to stay with oils. I love the way they blend.

You might want to look into Plein Air arts groups and see if you can join one in your area. Or see if there are open figure drawing sessions where you live.

You might want to look into Plein Air arts groups and see if you can join one in your area. Or see if there are open figure drawing sessions where you live.

Thanks, I'll be on the look out for these.

Mark Crilley has some good tutorials on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/markcrilley

You could also check out these YT channels:
https://www.youtube.com/user/circlelinemedia
https://www.youtube.com/user/WeiWorks
https://www.youtube.com/user/Lachri
https://www.youtube.com/user/artistuscom
https://www.youtube.com/user/TutoDraw
https://www.youtube.com/user/FineArtEBooks
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePortraitArt (these aren't tutorials, but some of the best timelapse portrait drawings on youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Elena2687 (more timelapse drawing videos, but still might learn something from watching these, or at least be inspired!!)

No doubt, a lot of artistic people aren't as gifted or skilled as they think they are. But there are people out there that seriously can make stick figures look badly drawn. There's some talent required in order to require akill, too. Though I agree on the point that most can reach way higher levels than they, or most, would think they could.

That's me...

came to say blitz as well. I don't mean to brag but I just make this in paint today...

picture.php

Back