Painting/Drawing Tutorials

Same here. However, it's been decades since I've taken my last art class and a few years since I've put anything on paper. I just packed the book up a little while ago (which is the whole reason why it came to mind).

Yeah. I really want to get into art more. I work on small projects for freinds or self but I wanna paint

969509_486273898125733_463931863_n.jpg

shia-labeouf-just-do-it-green-background.gif

He was pretty original in the Sia clip.

Anyway, to add to your point, watching Mark Crilley do his thing from beginning to end is just amazing and very educational.

I actually meant to post this one.

tumblr_n05h68ZMhr1r0nut4o1_400.gif

11921708_722126801226825_1797868645201123487_n.jpg

Rev. Dave Johnson said:
Design time:

So I did this back in 1996. Hell, I forgot I even did it until Kieron Dwyer posted he was selling it. Ok, back to the design part of this post.

Notice the line of action that goes from the bottom left at Spidey's foot, traveling up his leg with the position of the panel boxes, ending with Ghost Rider jumping almost like Spidey was the ramp. Leading your eye towards the logo (not shown). This was all intentional.

Too many artists don't pay attention to eye flow. Have fun with it, but be careful of tangents.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone doing montage illustrations.

Bob Ross is GOAT

I've never painted, but there's nothing better than lighting one up and throwing on a bit of Joy of Painting.

When it comes to drawing I honestly believe it's something that cant be taught.. If you have no natural talent for it i sincerely believe you are never going to be even half decent
at it but thats just my take on it.

I can tell you that this is pretty much BS. And I dont like it since it insinuates that the artist that has learned how to draw was due to talent and not hard work and preparation. Drawing is very difficult and it requires 1000s of hours of dedicated and deliberate practice and study to achieve mastery.

Most people try drawing for a few hours without any study or practice and get poor results and blame lack of talent or genetics. Its a technical skill just like anything else, too many have a romanticized aerie faerie perception about it when in fact it is extremely knowledge based and technical ability.

TS, dude those are really good! I have no suggestions on videos available, but maybe you can watch some on shading. Cheers!

Airbrush Equipment Advice

Adi Granov said:
I mostly use two Iwata brushes, a Custom Micron CMB, which is unbelievably precise, and a HP-C for larger coverage, stippling, etc. Custom Micron is Iwata's top end line, but it's really worth the money.

As for the compressor, I use a 25 litre medical compressor meant for dental drills, etc. Much better than the ones made specifically for airbrush, but also better priced for what you get. If I had the space I would've gone for a 50 litre tank, but even with the 25 I can spray for an hour or two without the motor kicking in.
granovim300.jpg

Bill Sienkiewicz said:
I use a line splitter for two airbrushes and power them via compressed CO2 tank. to me simpler is better ,but I've used a wide variety, from Paasche to Badger to Iwata to Grex. . My workhorse is the most basic Paasche H. it's single action, siphon feed but ridiculously consistent , easy to use maintain and clean. you can actually get pretty fine lines (relatively speaking )with it or a large pattern plus stipple . Next for detail work is the Iwata HP C (also the A which has a smaller reservoir., both are gravity fed and fully adjustable. The Micron is also great, but pricier; all Works of art. Testor's /Aztek also made a pretty good one in its earlier incarnation. it was marketed as the airbrush you never needed to take apart for cleaning. which I found not to be the case. I would take it apart and clean it and reassemble to fix the trigger pull. They have since made the internals plastic and it's just not the same. The trigger spring feels fluid but fairly weak. now you can't take them apart without literally tearing them in half. to me they're basically disposable. A shame. they used be awesome.

anyway -- finally for the maniac in you, there's the Paasche turbo - it sounds like a dentist's drill. but it is certifiably insane for detail work. I used it on Stray Toasters, and the control is amazing. but it definitely requires maintenance . if you're working large,I'd go with the Paasche H and the Iwata and I'd still recommend a moisture trap, though if you're using compressed CO2 it's not really a factor.
latest

Here's a tutorial more for digital painters ....

ppapcrash_by_annoicw-dalb5i8.gif

Oh man, I always feel like a lazy piece of crap when TGF bumps this lol. I haven't practiced in a long time.

Dam! Bringing up threads from the grave!
I've been doodling randomly here and there using my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 and my ThinkPad yoga. Both have Wacom pens built into the device, but I prefer the Note Pro. I used to only draw with pen and paper sketches but started doing digital art this year. Never had any training or school of any kind, just got high and watched Bob Ross a couple times. Here's a couple recent ones using Sketchbook and ArtFlow:

dmv0wg.png

10h7taa.png

33m51ky.png

344pjwx.png

FYI, if anyone wants to get digital art started for cheap, look for a used Galaxy Note Pro on eBay, OfferUp, LetGo, etc.
You can get them super cheap (got mine for $250) and they're better than the newest Samsung tablets with S-Pen. I got this pen to match and it works amazing:

wacom-bamboo-smart-pen-main-500x500.jpeg

THE DREAM:
giphy.gif

THE REALITY:
giphy.gif

Last edited:
art-school-1st-year-2nd-year-3rd-year-facbook-com-artschoolmemes-17983201.png

STORY TRICKS #23489 of a Series:

In the movie CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, Tom Hanks' Agent Carl Hanratty is searching for DiCaprio's Frank Abagnale Jr, whom at one point he only knows as Barry Allen, Treasury Department.

Pretty standard set-up to a scene, in a well-worn diner set.
barry-allen.jpg

Seriously, this place is in like every movie; it's the Quality Cafe:
catch-me-diner.jpg

If we were to take Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey, this is the point when our hero needs help. He cannot continue on his own. Help often comes in the form of a wizard. Luke has Obi-Wan. Dorothy has Glinda the Good Witch. So who does Hanratty have?
Tom-Hanks_Catch-Me-If-You-Can_2002.jpg

This guy? But, but he's a waiter! Some kid! What's so special about him?
barryallen-theflash.jpg

Well, he did play Donatello in the updated TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, but that's hardly a wizard. Tech genius turtle ninja, yes -- but no wizard.

Look closer:
MV5BMTYyOTgxNDc2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjU3NjYzMTE@._V1_.jpg

See the clock behind his head? The sun starburst? Kind of a Jesus halo effect? That's not a mistake that it give this kid a bit of a supernatural air. It's subtle for sure, but it's there.

It's little details and compositional tricks that breathe life into a story while re-affirming cinematic rules that we might not even know are at work.

You can read about how much THE FLASH works itself into CATCH ME IF YOU CAN here.

Last edited:
Back