Painting/Drawing Tutorials

Dizzy

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get back into drawing and painting. It's been several years since I've focused seriously on either one of them and I've never really had any "formal" training, save for a couple of high school classes. But I did a drawing last year and it reminded me how much I love doing it.

I think I'm decent but I'd really like to refine my techniques. I have a lot of work to do in both mediums but much more so in painting. I love painting with oils but I don't have a good foundation of control with a brush or the paint or colors.

I was wondering if there are any artists out there or people who just do it as a hobby that have any recommendations as far as some good foundational YT videos, books, anything really, go. I've looked around and can't really find anything that seems very helpful.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: A few drawings I've done. First is the one I did last year. The others are close to 10 years old.

d94z6nj.jpg

avuQRUj.jpg

vK6BR7H.jpg

Vko67g6.jpg

Last edited:
Watch Bob Ross.

We used to have Rolf Harris, but he's turned out to be a filthy paedo, so he's now persona non grata.

Watch Bob Ross.

We used to have Rolf Harris, but he's turned out to be a filthy paedo, so he's now persona non grata.

Is it a coincidence I read "persona non grata" on here twice, within 10 minutes?

When it comes to drawing I honestly believe it's something that cant be taught.. If you have no natural talent for it i sincerely believe you are never going to be even half decent
at it but thats just my take on it.

When it comes to drawing I honestly believe it's something that cant be taught.. If you have no natural talent for it i sincerely believe you are never going to be even half decent

So... Can you?

When it comes to drawing I honestly believe it's something that cant be taught.
I'm completely the opposite.

While it may not be as "artistic" as it could be, anyone can illustrate provided enough practice.

Drawing the head and figure by Jack Hamm

Drawing scenery landscapes and seascapes by Jack Hamm

If you want to draw people

If you want to draw other things

If you like the Feng Zhu vids and are want to learn more about certain fundamentals he doesn't expand on read this book.

These look fantastic, thank you.

There are tons on YT, but on my phone it's a bit hard navigating. And it also depends on what direction you want to go.

Anyway, here's one.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCno-YPZ8BiLrN0Wbl8qICFA

I'll check this out.

I can draw. I'm looking to get better.

Drawing the head and figure by Jack Hamm

Drawing scenery landscapes and seascapes by Jack Hamm

I'll look into these as well.

I'm completely the opposite.

While it may not be as "artistic" as it could be, anyone can illustrate provided enough practice.

Really depends on the standards you set. I have seen people try to draw realistically and fail sooooo utterly miserably. That it is really hard to imagine that they'd ever draw something I'd consider decent, but I'm a pretty tough critic.

The technical skill of drawing can be taught to anyone provided they have a certain level of dexterity. Wes Burt refers to drawing as 'mark making,' and it's a very apt description. I think it's kind of like teaching someone to play an instrument or cook. It's a physical process. I do think there are levels to how visually inclined someone is, just like people have different levels of musicality or taste/flavor comprehension. And those play a bigger part in the creative side of things.

Really depends on the standards you set. I have seen people try to draw realistically and fail sooooo utterly miserably. That it is really hard to imagine that they'd ever draw something I'd consider decent, but I'm a pretty tough critic.
That's a matter of technique.

I've seen a lot of people, who consider themselves artistic, do little more than trace when it came to realistic depictions -- whether by using an image projector, the gridding technique, or some kinda photoshop filter. While some people would argue, "That's not really drawing!" the end-result speaks for itself.

The better artist simply means the person who pushed through the difficulty, and that's anyone who's willing to keep practicing.

That's a matter of technique.

I've seen a lot of people, who consider themselves artistic, do little more than trace when it came to realistic depictions -- whether by using an image projector, the gridding technique, or some kinda photoshop filter. While some people would argue, "That's not really drawing!" the end-result speaks for itself.

The better artist simply means the person who pushed through the difficulty, and that's anyone who's willing to keep practicing.

No doubt, a lot of artistic people aren't as gifted or skilled as they think they are. But there are people out there that seriously can make stick figures look badly drawn. There's some talent required in order to require akill, too. Though I agree on the point that most can reach way higher levels than they, or most, would think they could.

Edited the OP with some drawings I've done over the years if you want to get an idea for my starting point lol.

There's a poster here named Blitz55 that's a good friend of mine. He's the most talented artist I've ever seen and specializes in drawings. You should get in touch with him. Super nice guy and he'd probably be glad to give you a bunch tips...

Blitz is incredible. I don't see him post much anymore though.

Back