Pain killers during training?.

YAPUREHEAVYDAFT

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do any of you use pain killers during or after traing to help push even further than normal and or to help forget about recovery.
I have a freind who just lifts doesnt train fighting etc he uses codeine and other opiates about 3 times a week and he claims it helps him beat personel bests and if hes hurting real bad it helps him recover better.
I know opiates are as bad as drugs get my best freind from child hood died from a herion OD.
Still i use codeine if im sick my GF use it for migranes and i know loads that use it for things like this.
I would use a week opiate like i can get from the chemist and only about once every two weeks to try and beat peronal best and gain a bit from the extra weight if it works like that for me.
Do any of you use this method?.

NVG9544-03.jpg

I also should say i know this is dangerous etc but ive used steriods and consider certain roids as big a risk in ways.
Im also sensible enough that if i was using it like this i would not use it more than once every ten days with breaks to make sure there is no adiction building up.

a little ibuprofen...

A New Muscle-Building Drug

The newest muscle-building drug is already in your medicine cabinet: Tylenol.

A new study shows acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen boost muscle mass and strength among elderly men and women who do weight training.

This was surprising, because an earlier study on the short-term impact of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on muscle ****bolism among young men and women who lifted weights over a 24-hour period, showed a negative impact. The two drugs were found to have blocked the workings of an enzyme known as Cox and inhibited the adding of new protein to muscle.

The researchers wanted to explore this effect in elderly people who regularly take these drugs, but need muscle-building exercise to remain mobile. They tracked 36 men and women between the ages of 60 and 78 for who enrolled in a three-month regimen of knee-extensor weight training at the Human Performance Lab.

Training intensity and duration—15- to 20-minute sessions 3 times per week—was set at a level known by the researchers to prompt significant muscle mass and strength growth in a participant's quadriceps muscles, in the absence of any medication.

The participants were randomly divided into an acetaminophen group, an ibuprofen group or a placebo group, and the two drugs were consumed at recommended daily dosage levels, as noted on current over-the-counter packaging.

To the research team's surprise, an analysis of muscle tissue samples taken before and after revealed that while the placebo group experienced a 7 percent growth in muscle mass and strength, those taking either acetaminophen or ibuprofen experienced an even greater gain—40 percent to 60 percent more.

The reason for this effect is unknown, but researchers theorize that the two drugs could be provoking the body to overcompensate for an initial blocking of the enzyme any muscle needs to grow—prompting muscles to send out fresh and powerful signals demanding even more enzyme than the body would normally produce.

April 14, 2008

MH Today

I know what your getting at and its a hard subject to aproach.
Smashing machine was a story of his abuse and addiction although im sure his use was recrational it no doubt helped his training.
Ive heard of countless athletes addicted to pain killers so thats why id only take them very liberly with breaks to make sure i knew i had no addiction built up.

a little ibuprofen...

A New Muscle-Building Drug

The newest muscle-building drug is already in your medicine cabinet: Tylenol.

A new study shows acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen boost muscle mass and strength among elderly men and women who do weight training.

This was surprising, because an earlier study on the short-term impact of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on muscle ****bolism among young men and women who lifted weights over a 24-hour period, showed a negative impact. The two drugs were found to have blocked the workings of an enzyme known as Cox and inhibited the adding of new protein to muscle.

The researchers wanted to explore this effect in elderly people who regularly take these drugs, but need muscle-building exercise to remain mobile. They tracked 36 men and women between the ages of 60 and 78 for who enrolled in a three-month regimen of knee-extensor weight training at the Human Performance Lab.

Training intensity and duration

The nature of the sport of MMA is such that you're going to get hurt, its just a matter of time. Quite a few fighters have to take pain medication for various injurys and they can be highly addictive.

The Smashing Machine is an excellent documentary, if you havent seen it go get it.

My love for opiates is no secret. They're also the only drug that doesn't seem to interfere with my training.

But I wouldn't take them just to train on. Boo to that.

I have used Advil and ASA to help combat nagging injuries when lifting. However, after prolonged use, it caused some pretty severe gastro intestinal problems for me (ulcers and eroded stomach lining).

If your relying on pain killers to help get you through a workout, you may want to take it easy or give your body a chance to heal properly. However, nothing substitutes for a healthy diet with regards to recovery.

I have used Advil and ASA to help combat nagging injuries when lifting. However, after prolonged use, it caused some pretty severe gastro intestinal problems for me (ulcers and eroded stomach lining).

Yeah, anytime you take IB or Acet, make sure it's not on an empty stomach. A few years ago, my dad went to the doc, who was lookin' at his stomach and quit countin' the holes when he got to like 20...

From talking to my Ortho taking opiates over a long period will actually hinder recovery, he gave a brief explanation something about they inhibit the chemicals that stimulate muscle repair after extended use. Mild pain relievers like the ibuprofen were a much better choice according to him.

you dont need any of that heavy shit, unless you have a terminal illness or something. gone through a half dozen surgeries and popped maybe 4 painkillers at most. all you need is maybe a good anti inflammatory before bed. you wake up feeling pretty fresh

Be aware that with using them at the same dosage with breaks in between will only help to avoid physical addiction.

Hunto, are you ever going to ship me some opiates/benzos?

not much to pick from B- just Darvo now.....

that could never be a good idea

jsut rest

Oh it can feel really good- painkiller to disassociate the negative feedback from your body, then stimulant to rev it up, great lifting/cardio workout.

Oh it can feel really good- painkiller to disassociate the negative feedback from your body, then stimulant to rev it up, great lifting/cardio workout.

I've had some of my best workouts while high as a kite. Just as long as you're not nodding out during a PR squat...

Personally I don't see the point of taking painkillers before a workout unless you are a professional athlete and your job depends on being able to train. Pain is your body telling you that something is wrong and that you should take a break to recover. I look at my boss (who is also a good friend) who is about 5 years older than me. He takes painkillers before workouts on a semi-regular basis and he is constantly injured. After workouts I don't see a problem since yeah sometimes you get hurt or are just really sore after a workout and need a little relief.

Back