pain in collarbone doing dips.

Amnesiac

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys been following this forum a lot and have learned quite a bit about lifting. I'm following the 3 day split thats in the FAQ and have been noticing some pain in my collarbone while doing dips.
I can do the set fine (I'm just doing BW dips) but when I'm putting my feet back on the steps I'm getting pain on the left side of my collarbone. As soon as all the weight is back on my feet the pain is gone. It's only there for a second while I'm putting the weight onto my feet from my arms. This happens on both wide and close grip. Is there anything I should do or try to avoid doing to stop this?

Just keep doing dips. The pain will go away.

I'm 25. I've been doing the dips through the pain for a good 5 or 6 months. It just seems strange that it doesn't hurt while I'm doing them. Is it maybe just a form problem while lowering myself?

When you lower yourself are you going past your normal ROM? Does it hurt towards your shoulder, towards your neck, or right in the middle? Is it both or just 1 side?

I'm 25. I've been doing the dips through the pain for a good 5 or 6 months. It just seems strange that it doesn't hurt while I'm doing them. Is it maybe just a form problem while lowering myself?

HAve you ever had any shoulder injuries, like an A/C separation?

I go just about to the bottom of my normal ROM and it hurts right around the middle of my left side.

I haven't had any shoulder/uper body injuries previously.

Appreciate the replies so far guys.

Here's random bullshit speculation, but it seems like it's a tendon/muscle in your neck tightening up as you release tension in your pecs and traps at the bottom of your ROM.

I used to have something similar... but it was because I was dipping WAY to low... you sure you aren't dipping to low?

Here's random bullshit speculation, but it seems like it's a tendon/muscle in your neck tightening up as you release tension in your pecs and traps at the bottom of your ROM.

That actually seems to make sense. If I release the tension slowly it doesnt really hurt, just slightly, so I try to do that. Any suggestions on how to stop it if this is the case?

That used to happen to me, so I stopped doing dips. In my opinion there are better ways to get stronger at pressing anyway.

The muscles in the arches of my feet sting like bastards when I step down from the last rep of dips. Only hurts for like half a second, but the shock is like I've just jumped off a roof onto solid concrete. The human body is fucking weird.

This is part of why I don't like dips. They hurt my shoulders, but the more intense pain is it feels like my entire sternum all the way down to the xyphoid process is going to shred. I'd put up with it if it helped my benching, but it doesn't.

The muscles in the arches of my feet sting like bastards when I step down from the last rep of dips. Only hurts for like half a second, but the shock is like I've just jumped off a roof onto solid concrete. The human body is fucking weird.

I hear ya, I get the same thing.

This is part of why I don't like dips. They hurt my shoulders, but the more intense pain is it feels like my entire sternum all the way down to the xyphoid process is going to shred. I'd put up with it if it helped my benching, but it doesn't.

I also have pretty bad pains in my shoulder/neck/elbows when i do dips. What exercise would you use to replace them? I'm thinking maybe more close grip bench press?

your ROM is obviously too long at the bottom of the movement. you need to to shorten them up or stop doing them, because you're injuring yourself.

Try narrowing your grip / distance between your hands, I find that I have problems doing dips without pain if my hands are too far apart.

I had that before and realized it was because I was leaning too far forward. I did a few on the 'dip machine' and adjusted to where my knees sat and it felt much better to keep straight up and down. Don't know if this helps but...

come to think of it...I do it this way with a shorter rom as well.:) sry.

Back