pain in collarbone doing dips.

i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

I had that before and realized it was because I was leaning too far forward. I did a few on the 'dip machine' and adjusted to where my knees sat and it felt much better to keep straight up and down. Don't know if this helps but...

come to think of it...I do it this way with a shorter rom as well.:) sry.

I'll take a note of how far I lean forward and change that and see if it helps. When I think about it that might be the problem.

The muscles around my collar bone/shoulders definatly do not feel good during dips. Its better, now. there used to be a intense shotting pain in my shoulders after each set, but not anymore.I still feel a lot of pressure though.

The muscles around my collar bone/shoulders definatly do not feel good during dips. Its better, now. there used to be a intense shotting pain in my shoulders after each set, but not anymore.I still feel a lot of pressure though.
i'm not sure if you're awre of this, but the pec's connect to the collarbone, and the collarbone functions as a (weak) strut for your shoulders. the is definite;y a direct connection between dips and collarbone pain.

so because we say to not dip as low it means we don't do full dips? It is possible to go too far down...

It is possible, and that's not something I'd thought of.

But come to think of it, I was probably overcompensating, since as a fatguy my instinct on all BW exercises is to cut the ROM.

It must be how skinny cats feel when they try to squat heavy.

It is possible, and that's not something I'd thought of.

But come to think of it, I was probably overcompensating, since as a fatguy my instinct on all BW exercises is to cut the ROM.

It must be how skinny cats feel when they try to squat heavy.

lol indeed...

Try narrowing your grip / distance between your hands, I find that I have problems doing dips without pain if my hands are too far apart.

Some gyms have reallllly terrible dip stations, normally these shitty ones are combined with a pullup station.

If its incredible wide, go find a true dip-stand. Your hands shouldn't be wider then your shoulders. Thats my opinion.

Also, when I started dips, I'd just do 1-2 per set (all I could do, 155 lbs soaking wet :D) and my sternum and ribs ALWAYS felt like they were going to rip in two.

2 weeks later, sets of 5 and they are gone. Presto.

I have the same collarbone pain. I've tried different grip widths, leaning forward, quarter repping it, even doing them on the machine. Still the same pain.

I think some people are just unable to do dips without experiencing pain. There are lots of exercises you can do in place of dips. There's no reason to do an exercise that causes pain just because most people can do it without pain.

Close-Grip bench presses ftw.

But I really like dips :)

If you really cannot perform them without pain, do something different, and come back to them months later to see if anything has changed.

I do noticed I could never do bench-dips. Those Muscle and Fitness mag-type dips where your feet are across on another bench, your palms are down, fingers facing away, and dipping thus.

Always hurt my shoulders.

triceps-exercises-bench-dips.gif

Though any time I did these my feet were elevated.

Same collarbone experience here. Actually for a while I was not sure if it was dips, or decline bench press. I leaned forward too much on the dips. Adding weights to the mix enhanced the pain. Wasn't really a pain though, just made my collar bone feel funny.

I actually asked one of the trainers if it were possible to break your collar bones doing dips. I have not been able to get that mental image out of my head, and have not done weighted dips ever since.

I had the exact same problem. Hoestly, I took some time off from doing dips, and when I started up again a few weeks later, the pain was pretty much gone. Maybe it was just a weak muscle that I had to build more slowly

Like others I had the same problem, then after breaking my eye socket and taking a few weeks off of lifting (way less than I shoulda, but whatever, you only live once) I started back up and the pain was gone.

Just a few pointers that a friend (Kines major) and others have told me. Keep in mind some of these may be wrong, but just passing along knowledge:

- don't go past 90 degrees, supposedly it puts stress on the shoulder, and other muscles. Obviously you will go beyond one some reps, but those people who go all the way down supposedly are doing more harm.

- strict form, don't just fly through them. really emphasize the negative (i sometimes even pause at the bottom

- don't let your elbows flare out. i used to do this when i was a fat bastard b/c i was too weak to do dips. kinda like how with skull crushers you don't wanna flare out. . .bad things happen with flaring out.

if anything, like some have said, either work through it if its not 24/7 pain, or just take a week or two off by doing bench dips. make sure you're hydrated too.

Back