Overrated musical artists you love to hate

Pantera.
Inspired nu-metal which is a crime in itself. A lot of their songs are just knuckle-dragger tier. Single-handedly made metal a lot dumber. I cant fucking stand them and everyone ASSUMES that if you like metal, you like Pantera.
and yeah its tragic how Dimebag was killed but that doesnt mean i cant think his band was crap. Phil Anselmo actually likes a lot of good music but he's a goddamned moron. All his side projects are bad too.

For me it's U2. I can't believe they're so big, they absolutely suck. Someone tells me they like U2 I'm like

6FpjO31.gif

I never liked Genesis. Too much synth. But Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel were excellent solo. Mike Rutherford (Mike and the Mechanics) was good, too.

The Beatles (just listen to The Kinks instead)
Almost all hardcore/metal made in the past 20 years
U2 (Bono is a creepy dude)
Bruce Springsteen (He made one good song, Atlantic City)

I never liked Genesis. Too much synth. But Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel were excellent solo. Mike Rutherford (Mike and the Mechanics) was good, too.
Exactly, but of the 3 solos, I discard Gabriel......Phil and Mike solo are excellent.

U2 (Bono is a creepy dude)
Bruce Springsteen (He made one good song, Atlantic City)
Kinks over Fab 4 any day. U2 did some nice stuff ......Springsteen is on / off for me, sometimes he surprises me !:)

PHISH.
THE SMITHS.
RADIOHEAD - YUCK !!!
PORCUPINE TREE - YUCK !!!
BIEBER.

ALLMAN BROTHERS.
ELVIS COSTELLO.
JOE JACKSON.
DOOBIE BROS.
DEVO.
UDO.
ACCEPT.

Kinks over Fab 4 any day. U2 did some nice stuff ......Springsteen is on / off for me, sometimes he surprises me !:)
Damn straight Kinks rock! I can't stand the Steen but I do think Atlantic City is a masterpiece. The Band did an even better version of it with Levon Helm on vocals.

Pantera.
Inspired nu-metal which is a crime in itself. A lot of their songs are just knuckle-dragger tier. Single-handedly made metal a lot dumber. I cant fucking stand them and everyone ASSUMES that if you like metal, you like Pantera.
and yeah its tragic how Dimebag was killed but that doesnt mean i cant think his band was crap. Phil Anselmo actually likes a lot of good music but he's a goddamned moron. All his side projects are bad too.
pajama-kid.gif

Yeah, fuck the Beatles. Can't stand em.
Hardcore punk is dead but there's been some pretty great metal that's been sporadically released over the past two decades. Although I'll concede that the genre overall is past it's best. What subgenres do you like the most? If you'd like I can recc you a few bands.

Typical Pantera fan reaction
My post has succeeded.

Succeeded in what? Getting a rise out of me? What a McGoober post. At least Pantera still made metal relevant in the 90's when Metallica sold out and grunge was on the rise.

Milano: "Hey, Scott"
Ian: "What's up?"
Milano: "Hey, uh, remember that band
That was from, uh, Sweden?"
Ian: "Nah, I think they were from Switzerland"
Milano: "Ah, yeah, uh, what were they called?"

[Verse]
What ever happened to Celtic Frost?
Is it true that they got lost
In the pandemonium?
Never to be seen again

[Chorus]
Tom Warrior fell from a tree in cherry orchard
Martin Ain drowned in a cold lake
Reed St. Mark went to Mega Therion
And remains there till this day

Succeeded in what? Getting a rise out of me? What a McGoober post. At least Pantera still made metal still relevant in the 90's when Metallica sold out and grunge was on the rise.

Milano: "Hey, Scott"
Ian: "What's up?"
Milano: "Hey, uh, remember that band
That was from, uh, Sweden?"
Ian: "Nah, I think they were from Switzerland"
Milano: "Ah, yeah, uh, what were they called?"

[Verse]
What ever happened to Celtic Frost?
Is it true that they got lost
In the pandemonium?
Never to be seen again

[Chorus]
Tom Warrior fell from a tree in cherry orchard
Martin Ain drowned in a cold lake
Reed St. Mark went to Mega Therion
And remains there till this day
Oh I love S.O.D.!!!
I'm sad I never got to see them live but I did see a sort of tribute version of them live at Maryland Deathfest. Dan Lilker was the only original member and it was a bunch of fill in guys. But they played the entirety of Speak English Or Die and a few other songs including the one you posted. Funny enough, Tom Warrior's new project, Tryptikon, played a set of all Hellhammer and early Celtic Frost songs when I went last year and it was great.

Pantera made metal mainstream in the 90s but it was just fine as a genre. Death and black metal explosion was happening and grindcore was just reaching past it's best. Thrash was dying but still had some great releases at the tail end from guys like Demolition Hammer or Razor. Doom metal picked up in the late 80s and by the 90s you had all sorts of great releases.
The idea that Pantera alone was responsible for metal's relevance in that era doesn't sit right with me at all. Mainstream recognition doesn't mean shit for the quality of a genre, I feel.

I wouldn't say they're overrated (it's just personal taste) or that I particularly hate any of these but these are canon artists that don't really resonate with me for various reasons.

U2 - I don't mind some of their early stuff but I found Joshua Tree pretty boring, Achtung baby outright annoying and it's only gone downhill from there.

No! U2 is the greatest! lol No it's all good, everyone has their own subjective taste.

What's your favorite band or artist by the way?

Oh I love S.O.D.!!!
I'm sad I never got to see them live but I did see a sort of tribute version of them live at Maryland Deathfest. Dan Lilker was the only original member and it was a bunch of fill in guys. But they played the entirety of Speak English Or Die and a few other songs including the one you posted. Funny enough, Tom Warrior's new project, Tryptikon, played a set of all Hellhammer and early Celtic Frost songs when I went last year and it was great.

Pantera made metal mainstream in the 90s but it was just fine as a genre. Death and black metal explosion was happening and grindcore was just reaching past it's best. Thrash was dying but still had some great releases at the tail end from guys like Demolition Hammer or Razor. Doom metal picked up in the late 80s and by the 90s you had all sorts of great releases.
The idea that Pantera alone was responsible for metal's relevance in that era doesn't sit right with me at all. Mainstream recognition doesn't mean shit for the quality of a genre, I feel.

You're a fellow S.O.D. fan? Well, fuck it. There's no need for any further infighting between us. Although I don't agree with your opinions about Pantera, I will defend your right to say them.

To be honest, Cold Lake isn't that bad of an album.

Back