Over-Under Grip Question

Oblivian

Aging
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find if this has been answered before, so forgive me if it has. When doing deadlifts with an over-under grip, do you alternate which hand is under and which is over between sets? Do you alternate between reps? Do you alternate at all?
I have been trying to alternate between sets but I feel very akward with my left hand gripped under. I always figured it's important to switch, but is it really that important?

I alternate my grips every deadlifting session. Once I warm up and get in the groove, changing my grips fucks me up and feels uncomfortable. So one week I will do all my pulling right under/left over, next week the opposite.

I never alternate. I never thought it would make a difference other than feeling unnatural.

I alternate my grips every deadlifting session. Once I warm up and get in the groove, changing my grips fucks me up and feels uncomfortable. So one week I will do all my pulling right under/left over, next week the opposite.

That's brilliant. I usually alternate sets, and like you said it feels uncomfortable...

depending on how many im gonna do in a set....sometimes ill alternate every 2 reps

I rarely switch it up, but I know I should. When I watch my DL vids, my body is always twisted in the same direction and every back issue I've had has been on the left side. I have a feeling that these things are related to my left hand almost always being under.

I think I'm gonna stick with alternating sets. I really prefer right hand under. I feel twisted with my left hand under.

Why do you guys use alternating grips, isn't it better for forearm strength to use classic clean grip ?
Or is it all about moving maximum weight ?

BTW
I'm a newbie, so flame on :D

Why do you guys use alternating grips, isn't it better for forearm strength to use classic clean grip ?
Or is it all about moving maximum weight ?

BTW
I'm a newbie, so flame on :D

I'm not sure if in saying a "clean grip" you mean a hook grip, or double overhand. Anyone with a good degree of strength is going to need a hook grip or a mixed grip to pull max weight, neither of which works your hand strength as much as a DOH grip.

I rarely switch it up, but I know I should. When I watch my DL vids, my body is always twisted in the same direction and every back issue I've had has been on the left side. I have a feeling that these things are related to my left hand almost always being under.

I'm the same as Fatty and don't alternate enough. I tend to use the left hand under, right hand over, I'm gonna aim to switch it up a bit more.

I'm not sure if in saying a "clean grip" you mean a hook grip, or double overhand. Anyone with a good degree of strength is going to need a hook grip or a mixed grip to pull max weight, neither of which works your hand strength as much as a DOH grip.

Pretty sure he means double overhand.

Of course double overhand is better. If you're not grip limited, I highly recommend doing double overhand. Every single deadlift session I've ever done has started with a double overhand warm-up. I also don't go over/under unless I'm working above 300 lbs, which is most of the time now.

As far as alternating.. I feel there is no reason not to alternate. Even if not alternating doesn't cause balance issues, it is something so simple that the risk isn't worth it. Just remember that your dominant strength (not necessarily your writing) hand in the over position and your weak hand in the under position is always going to be your strongest grip, so use that for PRs.

I used to alternate, but I haven't in a while

I like to use double over hand for most weight except when im nearing my max. If im trying to max or go near it I use left over and right under. Im right handed btw.

Pretty sure he means double overhand.

Of course double overhand is better. If you're not grip limited, I highly recommend doing double overhand. Every single deadlift session I've ever done has started with a double overhand warm-up. I also don't go over/under unless I'm working above 300 lbs, which is most of the time now.

As far as alternating.. I feel there is no reason not to alternate. Even if not alternating doesn't cause balance issues, it is something so simple that the risk isn't worth it. Just remember that your dominant strength (not necessarily your writing) hand in the over position and your weak hand in the under position is always going to be your strongest grip, so use that for PRs.

I'm right handed but using my left hand over and right hand under feels more comfortable. It's not an issue of strength with me, it's an issue of form and akwardness. I have no idea why it's like that for me.

I'm right handed but using my left hand over and right hand under feels more comfortable. It's not an issue of strength with me, it's an issue of form and akwardness. I have no idea why it's like that for me.

I specified stronger hand, not writing hand. I've noticed two of my friends deadlift better with their non-writing hand over. Out of curiosity I had them test their grip strength with my CoC and plate pinches, and both had a stronger non-writing hand.

I'm also the same way. I'm a lefty, but due to an injury last summer and a lot of grip training, my right hand grip is stronger. My right hand over in deadlifting is also stronger as well. I've been working on correcting that, though. I'd like to have it to the point where it doesn't matter for me which one is over.

I usually start out DOH or snatch grip, then DOH, and then go to mixed after about 315. I try to alternate about every rep, but it feels more comfortable with RO/LU, which is my writin'/strong hand over, so I tend to use that for really heavy pulls.

When I used to use a mixed grip, I alternated between sets. Now I only use the hook grip. In case I haven't pushed the hook grip enough on here, I'll do it some more:icon_twis
When I first tried it I immediately said to myself, "NO WAY! How can anybody use this? Its gonna rip my thumb off. This can't be good for my thumb." But I really hated the mixed grip, and I didn't feel right about using lifting straps, so I decided to give the hook grip a serious try. I started by only doing it on light sets. I would even do it on rows even though I didn't need to, just to condition my thumbs and skin. You have to build up callouses where there aren't any yet. After gradually using it for heavier sets over a period of weeks, I was able to use it on a 1RM deadlift and I haven't looked back since. After a heavy set of 5 in the deadlift, the skin on the thumbs hurts for a few seconds when you let go but it quickly goes away, and during the set I don't really feel it, and so far I haven't torn any skin open. For me its even a more secure grip than the mixed grip.

Alternating between sets. Usually DOH on the warmups

Back