Over-Under Grip Question

When the weights get heavy I used a mixed grip with my left hand underhanded because it's the most comfortable. I'd like to alternate my grip but with the weight as heavy as it is the last thing I need is feeling awkward because I switched up my grip.

When I used to use a mixed grip, I alternated between sets. Now I only use the hook grip. In case I haven't pushed the hook grip enough on here, I'll do it some more:icon_twis
When I first tried it I immediately said to myself, "NO WAY! How can anybody use this? Its gonna rip my thumb off. This can't be good for my thumb." But I really hated the mixed grip, and I didn't feel right about using lifting straps, so I decided to give the hook grip a serious try. I started by only doing it on light sets. I would even do it on rows even though I didn't need to, just to condition my thumbs and skin. You have to build up callouses where there aren't any yet. After gradually using it for heavier sets over a period of weeks, I was able to use it on a 1RM deadlift and I haven't looked back since. After a heavy set of 5 in the deadlift, the skin on the thumbs hurts for a few seconds when you let go but it quickly goes away, and during the set I don't really feel it, and so far I haven't torn any skin open. For me its even a more secure grip than the mixed grip.

How much do you pull? I hook grip all my olympic lifts but I couldn't imagine doing heavy sets for reps with a hook grip.

When I used to use a mixed grip, I alternated between sets. Now I only use the hook grip. In case I haven't pushed the hook grip enough on here, I'll do it some more:icon_twis
When I first tried it I immediately said to myself, "NO WAY! How can anybody use this? Its gonna rip my thumb off. This can't be good for my thumb." But I really hated the mixed grip, and I didn't feel right about using lifting straps, so I decided to give the hook grip a serious try. I started by only doing it on light sets. I would even do it on rows even though I didn't need to, just to condition my thumbs and skin. You have to build up callouses where there aren't any yet. After gradually using it for heavier sets over a period of weeks, I was able to use it on a 1RM deadlift and I haven't looked back since. After a heavy set of 5 in the deadlift, the skin on the thumbs hurts for a few seconds when you let go but it quickly goes away, and during the set I don't really feel it, and so far I haven't torn any skin open. For me its even a more secure grip than the mixed grip.

what is hook grip?

I use straps.

:icon_twis

I'm not sure if in saying a "clean grip" you mean a hook grip, or double overhand. Anyone with a good degree of strength is going to need a hook grip or a mixed grip to pull max weight, neither of which works your hand strength as much as a DOH grip.

Double overhand is a better term for what i wanted to say :p
So isn't it better to use double overhand when doing the 1x5 for example, and using mixed (alternating) grip when going for 1rm ?

When the weights get heavy I used a mixed grip with my left hand underhanded because it's the most comfortable. I'd like to alternate my grip but with the weight as heavy as it is the last thing I need is feeling awkward because I switched up my grip.

Try doing LO/RU with 50 or 60% of your 1 RM until you get comfortable with it, then gradually start using it for heavier and heavier pulls.

I use double overhand while I can (eg until my wrists are too tired to really hold the bar) and then if i need to i switch to an over/under, but htat feels fuckin weird so i dont like it much...

One problem in my experience with using the DOH with too heavy weights is that as soon as you start struggling with your grip and feel the bar sliding just a bit, you whole form goes to the shitter.

I've only used alternate grip so far for deadlifts. The only time i've used DOH is when doing snatch-grip deadlifts, but it is harder to lift as much weights as when doing alternate. I did it largely for the greater ROM and greater mass build.

One problem in my experience with using the DOH with too heavy weights is that as soon as you start struggling with your grip and feel the bar sliding just a bit, you whole form goes to the shitter.

Definitely Agree... When this happens I try to squeeze another rep or 2 out and then call it quits on the set... Next set is alternate grip..

3boltondvd.jpg

Just be like Andy Bolton, and use a hooked grip AND a mixed grip.

3boltondvd.jpg

Just be like Andy Bolton, and use a hooked grip AND a mixed grip.

How much is that? Like 950? I wish my grip was strong enough to support that much weight.. I'm gonna try hook grip. Only downside I see, is that I really like the calluses I get on the palms of my hands. It makes doing a lot of things easier, especially throwing footballs for some reason...

How much is that? Like 750? I wish my grip was strong enough to support that much weight.. I'm gonna try hook grip. Only downside I see, is that I really like the calluses I get on the palms of my hands. It makes doing a lot of things easier, especially throwing footballs for some reason...

Can't tell what the small plates on the sides are, but if they are 5kg and 2.5kg that's about 959, but the bar might be 25kg so it might be 970.

Can't tell what the small plates on the sides are, but if they are 5kg and 2.5kg that's about 959, but the bar might be 25kg so it might be 970.

Yeh I meant to say 950, idk why I typed 750. I edited the same time you posted this. That guy is crazy.. I'd be happy to deadlift half that.

edit: I wish my gym had 50kg plates. They are so much easier for deadlifting.

I don't get why he wearing wraps though. Since the wrist isn't being bent why would he need support?

I'm gonna try hook grip. Only downside I see, is that I really like the calluses I get on the palms of my hands.

I can think of another downside: it fucking hurts. I need to start hook gripping as well though. For anyone that uses it, how long did it take for your thumbs to get used to it? I tried it a few times and my thumbs were killing even with lighter weights.

Since this is the deadlift thread at the moment.. and I'm having a brain fart. Whats the name of the chalk lotion or w/e its called? I know my commercial gym will throw a conniption fit if I use real chalk.

Back