Outside of hating Rousey does any other woman in the division have a claim to being better?

Cyborg has won her last 16 fights, if she is in the division is debateable since Ronda is not these days either.
how is there any debate at all? cyborg steadfastly refuses to be in the division. Ronda is still in the division. She hasn't officially retired and she's still on the roster. (whether or not she says in the division or retires remains to be seen, but right now, she's still part of it)

The top 5 in the WBW division can all beat each other on any given night. There's no dominant fighter, imo.

RR still has the best resume in the division by a long shot, has been gone less than a year and is still the best grappler with power in her hands.

Holm was said to be light years ahead of RR but outside of the RR fight she hasnt looked good at all. I think RR losing had more to do with RR playing rocky 3 than Holm actually being the better fighter.

The division has not evolved at all sense RR last fought.

Rousey's resume is so overrated. After Shevchenko's win, Tate is Rousey's only victory over the current top 5.

And tbh, Tate might not even be a top 5 fighter in the division right now after seeing what Shevchenko did to Holm. Shevchenko was the 7th ranked fighter and dominated Holm with ease while it took Tate a hail mary to pull out a W and Rousey got brutally KO'd by her. Ronda has fought a ton of tailor made matchups.

I'm a Rousey fan but Holms fight with Pennington was clearly a win for her, clearly 2 rounds to 1.
Corrected above
I agree that holly beating Ronda, even assuming she can repeat which I think she will, does not mean she is better. See Hughes/hallman. However, you do not get to choose hollys record.
It matters not.
Outside of the Ronda fight Holm's resume is meager as fuck.
Perfect definition of a can crusher.

Holm is 2-3 in the ufc.(adjusted for fair scoring)
You can disagree with the judges scoring all you want to, doesn't change the fact that she's 3-2 in the ufc. There are plenty of arguments to be made without falsifying information. Ronda has a much better MMA resume, but that's never going to change the fact that Holly starched her and likely would again.

RR still has the best resume in the division by a long shot, has been gone less than a year and is still the best grappler with power in her hands.

Holm was said to be light years ahead of RR but outside of the RR fight she hasnt looked good at all. I think RR losing had more to do with RR playing rocky 3 than Holm actually being the better fighter.

The division has not evolved at all sense RR last fought.
Best resume doesn't mean she's the best fighter.
Heck, some fighters might beat some others just because of their style, and not because he is better than the other guy.

IMO Tate or Nunes are better overall fighters. they are more complete than Holm or Ronda. Those two are great as one facet of MMA, but lacking on others.

You can disagree with the judges scoring all you want to, doesn't change the fact that she's 3-2 in the ufc. There are plenty of arguments to be made without falsifying information. Ronda has a much better MMA resume, but that's never going to change the fact that Holly starched her and likely would again.
Except she could never repeat that feat now that she's been exposed by Miesha and Shev.

It matters not.
Outside of the Ronda fight Holm's resume is meager as fuck.
Perfect definition of a can crusher.

If it doesn't matter, then why lie about her record?
Her resume is not as strong as Rondas but it is not "meager as fuck". The fact is the division isn't full of big names. Not many women have "impressive resumes", and the only reason Ronda does is because her name inflated that of all her opponents, holly included.

So how does it feel that a "can crusher" beat the living fuck out of your girl and sent her to a pillow and a jaw surgeon?

Except she could never repeat that feat now that she's been exposed by Miesha and Shev.

To be fair, Ronda tried to do what Miesha and Shevchenko did and failed. Shevchenko has better striking than Ronda, and Miesha is a better shoot wrestler. And whose to say that Ronda would beat any of her opponents after being exposed by Holm? Not to say that she wouldn't, that's just not a good argument at all.

Last edited:
how is there any debate at all? cyborg steadfastly refuses to be in the division. Ronda is still in the division. She hasn't officially retired and she's still on the roster. (whether or not she says in the division or retires remains to be seen, but right now, she's still part of it)
Throw that extra 10 pounds aside and Cyborg sleeps Ronda, the end.

Again who has a better resume?

What happens when Ronda fights somebody who isn't tailor made for her?

Who cares about the names on her resume when all of them are built for her style? That's why her resume is overrated. She can out grapple anybody in wmma and everybody she was matched up with before Holm were too pitiful at striking to take advantage of the massive hole in her style.

There are a couple of fighters in the division who have a legitimate claim to being better. Ronda hasn't had a legit win 1.5 years.

Is that proof of competition, or a lower more even playing field?
I think Holly, Amanda and Valentina seem smarter fighters than Cat and Meisha. Meisha and cat are tough as nails, but they are not fighters you expect to stick to a gameplan. i think we are seeing the tactical side of womens fighting improve a lot lately.

Your usage of the word "exposed" exposes your bias.
If any fighter was exposed it was Ronda. We already knew holly was far from perfect. Holly showed a footwork based gamelan anyone can work on vs Ronda.

Last edited:
The woman had a good run and then hit the wall. You can't take her past wins away. Looking at the division now, until she comes back we will never know where she sits and people are free to speculate that the division may have caught up and passed her. There is no strong evidence to suggest that they are wrong either. She is great at judo and a beast in the scrambles, she sucks at stand up. She couldn't keep Holly down and look what happened. If she can't keep Nunes or the russian chick down, what do you think happens? As far as the Cyborg fight goes, I think people are over it. I think its safe to say Ronda would be off the apples for a long while.

This girl.
tumblr_nd77pggMLz1rwaupfo2_r1_500.gif
Wow.

Onto the question,

Now that the top 5 are legitamate fighters, and are, in no order - Tate, Nunes, Rousey, Holm, Schevenko - each fighter has beaten one top 5r.

Its early, they need to fight more of each other. Oh, I just realized Nunes has two people beaten, but one was close.

Objectively, ignoring the hype and the hate - Ronda MIGHT be the best of the bunch, but there are three top five fighters she hasnt beaten, so there is work to do. Zingano gives her another good win, but McMann, Bethe, etc, arent really great resume builders, it only gives her an edge over Holm, who has no good wins outside of Rousey herself. Not that Holly cant win more, she just hasnt, yet.

Yep, too early. There is no clearly defined dominant 135lb woman, so I will default to the current champ, who also has two top 5 wins.

we'll never know because cyborg will never throw that extra 10 lbs aside.
Now that there is no belt involved, nothing to prevent a catch weight. But thats not my point, my point is Cyborg sleeps Ronda at any weight. They don't need to fight at all. More and more people are seeing this now that the hype dust has settled.

Back