Outside of hating Rousey does any other woman in the division have a claim to being better?

That is
No, I don't believe anyone in mma was dealing with all the things she was dealing with, as well as having the pressure of not only defending a title but being expected to do it in under a minute. Leading up to the Holly fight she was talking about retiring and how she was going to take a long break after the fight. She looked like shit at the weigh in and her antics were unlike anything I've seen from her. Normally she just stares stone face at her opponent. She looked like shit walking to the octagon and unfocused. I gave her the benefit of the doubt until I saw her walk out. I knew something wasn't right but hoped she could pull off the win somehow. She looked like shit in the fight for the most part. She looked weak, sloppy and slow. It looked like she forgot how to do judo as well. Her technique was shit. After the fight she had an emotional breakdown and I think it was inevitable and what she needed to realize she can't divide her time. It has to be mma all the time or just retire.
So everything but Holly beat Ronda. Oh boy, you got it bad. Someone please cue up the leave brittney alone video for this poor sack.

That is

So everything but Holly beat Ronda. Oh boy, you got it bad. Someone please cue up the leave brittney alone video for this poor sack.

I didn't say that. I'm saying Ronda was at her worse going into the fight and Holly was good enough to take advantage of that. A lesser fighter like Bethe or Eye wouldn't have. Holly was massively overrated after the Ronda fight, as her 2 fight losing streak to 2 vastly different fighters has proved.

Last edited:
Ronda is working hard in the gym as well and seems to have refocused on fighting and cut out the media distractions. I expect her to come back as good as she's ever been. The division hasn't changed that much since she's been gone. Valentina is the only new face. Nunes hasn't suddenly found cardio, Miesha is still inconsistent, Holly has dropped 2 fights and been exposed as a limited counter puncher and Pena is still a 1 dimensional wrestler. The only wild card in the top 5 is Valentina.

While it's true that Valentina is the only new top 5 fighter, I think there's been more changes than you give credit for. Nunes hasn't found cardio, but she's gone from a brawler who swings power punches to actually having the footwork to get angles, cut a cage, and work more patiently if she has to while still having her big power and killer instincts. She's a better and far more dangerous fighter now than she was when she lost to Cat (I believe she started training at ATT after that loss). And while Miesha doesn't have any new skills and is as hittable as ever, she does fight smarter these days which makes the most of what she does have. There was no way the Tate of 2 years ago would get anywhere close to getting a clinch or take down against Holm, it would've looked a lot like Holm vs. Rousey.

I think Nunes and Shevchenko are the ones to keep an eye on. While Amanda will never have a 5 round gas tank, she's shown constant improvement in every one of her fights since her loss to Cat. She's dangerous as hell and of the active fighters I think Holm and Shevchenko are the only ones with a good shot of beating her.

Or Holly pointe
I didn't say that. I'm saying Ronda was at her worse going into the fight and Holly was good enough to take advantage of that. A lesser fighter like Bethe or Eye wouldn't have. Holly was massively overrated after the Ronda fight, as her 2 fight losing streak to 2 vastly different fighters has proved.
Or holly pointed out to the world how to use the game plan to beat her and now unless Ronda changes it up, any girl in the division who is strong with a decent camp(there are a few) who has better stand up(more than a few) will do the same thing.

Or holly pointed out to the world how to use the game plan to beat her and now unless Ronda changes it up, any girl in the division who is strong with a decent camp(there are a few) who has better stand up(more than a few) will do the same thing.

Valentina and Nunes are the only ones with the capability to do what Holly did and they both have weaknesses just like every other fighter in the history of combat.

While it's true that Valentina is the only new top 5 fighter, I think there's been more changes than you give credit for. Nunes hasn't found cardio, but she's gone from a brawler who swings power punches to actually having the footwork to get angles, cut a cage, and work more patiently if she has to while still having her big power and killer instincts. She's a better and far more dangerous fighter now than she was when she lost to Cat (I believe she started training at ATT after that loss). And while Miesha doesn't have any new skills and is as hittable as ever, she does fight smarter these days which makes the most of what she does have. There was no way the Tate of 2 years ago would get anywhere close to getting a clinch or take down against Holm, it would've looked a lot like Holm vs. Rousey.

I think Nunes and Shevchenko are the ones to keep an eye on. While Amanda will never have a 5 round gas tank, she's shown constant improvement in every one of her fights since her loss to Cat. She's dangerous as hell and of the active fighters I think Holm and Shevchenko are the only ones with a good shot of beating her.

I said when Holly won the title that Nunes was the one to look out for. Nunes has the skills but not the cardio. It would be interesting to see how her aggressive style works against Ronda. If she stays on the outside I can see her giving her problems. If she closes the distance and get over aggressive I think Ronda grabs her and throws her on her head. Skill wise though, I always though Nunes was the future after Ronda retired. Valentina is the unknown right now but she also looks dangerous and has the best striking in the division by far.

Valentina and Nunes are the only ones with the capability to do what Holly did and they both have weaknesses just like every other fighter in the history of combat.
Just like every other fighter. And there will be more women to come, count on it. She had the benefit of perfect timing in an unestablished division to have a fantastic run. Just like Royce gracie who was able to do amazing things with the given platform, if we put things into the right perspective I think you can see what AI am saying. She could still be competative with alot of girls, but the once ever ship has sailed.

Just like every other fighter. And there will be more women to come, count on it. She had the benefit of perfect timing in an unestablished division to have a fantastic run. Just like Royce gracie who was able to do amazing things with the given platform, if we put things into the right perspective I think you can see what AI am saying. She could still be competative with alot of girls, but the once ever ship has sailed.

I don't think it's sailed yet with one loss - her winning and being a dominant champion that is. The talk about "once ever athlete" was just hype. Nobody believed that. Comparing Ronda to a pioneer like Royce is a little flawed. WMMA didn't start with Ronda. Cyborg and Carano fought each other 2 years before Ronda had her 1st pro fight. All of her opponents, with the exception of Bethe, have been training mma as long or longer than her.

Contrast that to Royce and the Gracie family who formed the UFC as a showcase for Gracie Juijitsu. Very few of the fighters at the very beginning knew submission grappling and that's why he was successful. You can't tell me judo, grappling and arm bars were something new to the women Ronda has fought. Ronda was better because she had superior technique that she developed by competing with the best in the world in her discipline.

Are you serious? Ronda is an olympic medalist and world championship medalist. You're delusional.

In Judo.
Judo < full Grappling

You are simply too much of a hater to think clearly.

In Judo.
Judo < full Grappling

You are simply too much of a hater to think clearly.
Nah, we've seen them fight. Tate has lost handily to multiple people, she isn't a better fighter and there's literally no case to be made for it. How can you be a better fighter when you've been finished by 3 different women in the UFC? You're too biased to think clearly.

I think you are wrong, Holly was clearly better than Ronda when they fought, she was outclassed.

WMMA isn't that good and everyone knows that, Ronda is a one trick pony as is Holly, the well rounded fighters are not on
a high level in anything like a GSP.

Carano's record was pretty good too, but let's not kid ourselves, she would probably get wrecked today (that's probably the reason that Ronda would compete at catch weight against her too)

WMMA might not have evolved that much, but we see better fighters competing at least.

Ronda would probably smoke most of them, but she would probably lose to anyone like Holly; good standing with good takedown defence.

[QUOTE="Overkiller, post: 119550895, member: 366433"

Carano's record was pretty good too, [/QUOTE]

No, not really. She fought a lot of smaller women, and only had seven fights before Cyborg wrecked her.

Back