• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Out of these languages of the world - Which 4 would you like to learn?

Out of these languages of the world - Which 4 would you like to learn?

• Total voters
French Spanish Russian and Japanese. Those would be most relative to my interests.

I picked Mandarin, German, Russian and other. The other being Finnish as i have Finnish ancestry. I tried to learn Finnish when i was a young but eventually gave up so many long ass words and also tried to learn German because i really liked Rammstein at the time. lol German is very similar to English
Finally a man of culture<JackieThumbsUp>

Reactions: HHJ
Japanese
German
Arabic
Spanish

Have studied all of them but only had something approaching fluency in Spanish. Useful in the U.S. and makes vacations to Spanish speaking countries much easier. German because I lived in Germany for 3 years in the military and really loved the culture. Could happily live in Bavaria without issue. Japanese because my mother is Japanese and I have a lot of relatives who speak it. Arabic because lived there for 2 years (military + defense contractor) and it's a fascinating region with an underappreciated history in the west.

Last edited:
I already speak Spanish. I would like Persian to converse with my Sis in Laws family and know when they are talking shot (That culture talks shit like crazy). Then the others for places I want to visit and know shit--German, Italy, French

I'd pick Russian, Japanese, Spanish. I do understand a bit of German so that'd be 4th. I also need to freshen up my Svensk.

Chinese and Japanese for culture, Thai because my partner is from there, French to fulfill my failed GCSE.

French - 3 years of high school French and pleasant memories of using it effectively (if limited) in France
German - Cuz beer and schnitzel are delicious
Mandarin - Cuz China, could sub Cantonese or another dialect because I don't know which is more prevalent/useful
Russian - because it sounds masculine AF.

Also Norwegian because it was a great place (but they all spoke English)
Spanish could replace German for the same reasons (the food maybe a bit better, but the beer is not)

French - 3 years of high school French and pleasant memories of using it effectively (if limited) in France
German - Cuz beer and schnitzel are delicious
Mandarin - Cuz China, could sub Cantonese or another dialect because I don't know which is more prevalent/useful
Russian - because it sounds masculine AF.

Also Norwegian because it was a great place (but they all spoke English)
Spanish could replace German for the same reasons (the food maybe a bit better, but the beer is not)
I think Cantonese is useless. From my understanding it's only HK people that speak it exclusively and they are forced to learn Mandarin now.

On a side note, I would learn Spanish and Hindi. Spanish opens out so many countries. I learned two years of it in high school and I am completely useless.

I learned two years of it in high school and I am completely useless.
I was surprised at how well I was able to communicate in France.
My chain of command had me brought topside to talk to the shore services guys in Toulon. That did not go very well since the intricacies and vocabulary of high voltage electrical theory weren't covered in Madame's classroom. I was quite capable of asking for food, beer, and the location of the toilet though.

Last edited:
I voted mandarin, russian and german. Would probably pick hungarian over german though. I love angry sounding languages.

German, because I’ve been living in countries with this as an official language for a while now.

Back