Other than Dana trying to pad Pettis' resume and make him a marketable superstar.....

LW division is in a pretty bad place right now.

I think it was around the second Edgar/Maynard fight when they had like 6 or 7 contenders and Joe Silva decided to wipe them all out before the third fight.

It's actually the reason I hate instant rematches, Edgar/Maynard 3 and Bendo/Edgar 2 wiped out a lot of contenders.

In all fairness they had to book edgar/Maynard 3 as the 2nd one was literally a draw on the scorecards

-also gil is coming off a loss
-maynard has to put some wins together
-egdar gone
-nate lost

yeah i think its a great opportunity for pettis hold the belt which is good for the ufc but on the flip side, whos he ducking?

...:)
khabibnurmagomedov1.png

I guess they could of sidelined Pettis until a more "worthy" opponent comes along!

is thomson really a better wrestler than bendo? bendo could only take pettis down when he tried a cartwheel

Is Guida a better wrestler than Bendo?? A fights a fight and styles make fights. I think Thompson will mix it up but look to wrestle quite a bit. If Pettis sleeps on Thomson in any aspect he could be on his back and caught with a kick like Nate was.

This is definitely gonna be Thomsons 1st and last chance at UFC gold, i expect him to go out with a bang either way. Obv not surprised if he loses but i think he has a better chance than so many are giving him.

Thomson is a vet. He just plastered Nate Diaz so bad he had the towel thrown in. Who just fought bendo in his last fight. Plus he's from nor cal

Josh Thomson is the RISKIEST possible match-up Dana could possibly have given Pettis, if you don't realize that you're a fool.

Josh Thomson can one day be the best striker, wrestler and grappler in LW all at once and the next day suck at everything.

Are you dumb or something?

1. Thomson KO'd Nate and a lot of people believe he beat Melendez in their 3rd fight
2. TJ is injured
3. Melendez is booked to fight Sanchez and lost his last fight
4. Khabib has only beat ONE top fighter, so no matter how many wins he has it means nothing
5. Edgar is at FW

The only fighter you could give it to is RDA

Once again, I don't know if you watch much but Diaz was ranked #4 because he had just come off a title fight after dominating Jim Miller, Takanori Gomi, and Donald Cerrone.

In summary, watch more MMA.

watched enough to know Gomi=washed up, Cerrone=feast or famine (greg jackson admits the same), Miller was a great style matchup for Diaz. I watch more than enough, Sorry man, you just haven't convinced me that J.T. has earned it. but ill root for him though.

IMHO, Thomson beat Melendez in their last fight. He also head kicked Nate Diaz three times in the same fight, stopping him on the last one. This isn't about padding Pettis' resume. It's about Grant's inability to stay healthy at the moment.

I'd rather the champ be active and fight any and all contenders than be sitting on the bench.

I'm a huge GSP fan but his strange schedule has always frustrated me. I understand injury but some of the gaps I just don't get.

watched enough to know Gomi=washed up, Cerrone=feast or famine (greg jackson admits the same), Miller was a great style matchup for Diaz. I watch more than enough, Sorry man, you just haven't convinced me that J.T. has earned it. but ill root for him though.

Your notion of "earning" has never applied for real in MMA and will never do such either. Sherdoggers need to stop using the word "earn" and "deserve", it just doesn't work the way you think you do and you all have seriously demented and flawed views on what truly earning or deserving a title shot is.

No one has earned it the UFC ! Pettis wants a paycheck and not wait around until someone earns a title shot.

Please explain how Pettis has "earned" his title shot by beating Jeremy Stephens, Joe Lauzon and Donald Cerrone, yet Nate Diaz is somehow an unworthy win.

Seriously.

Pettis will make himself a super star all on his own. An awesome fighter that's exciting to watch who has a great personality will pave his own way with or without a promoter.

Josh Thomson can one day be the best striker, wrestler and grappler in LW all at once and the next day suck at everything.

yes.... my point....hes served up...pettis will make him look like he sucks at everything.

Gilbert-Melendez-Josh-Thomson-6572-Strikeforce-0512.jpg

1362357910_silver_platter.png

Dude is tough as hell. He'll probably lose but he'll make it a fight.

yes.... my point....hes served up...pettis will make him look like he sucks at everything.
No, that was not your point and his inconsistencies has nothing to do with his opponents. If anything he shows up better the higher the competition is.

You're right, the champ should sit around even though there's a credible top 5 guy waiting for his chance. My god.

I was pretty surprised to see that they made this match up but he will make a tough challenge for Pettis. I'd like to see Melendez vs Pettis though after their next fights.

Back