Other than Dana trying to pad Pettis' resume and make him a marketable superstar.....

Please explain how Pettis has "earned" his title shot by beating Jeremy Stephens, Joe Lauzon and Donald Cerrone, yet Nate Diaz is somehow an unworthy win.

Seriously.

Easy to look back at the Lauzon and Cerrone wins now and say that but those were very relevant wins at the time. And after dismantling Bendo its hard to say he didnt deserve the shot.

Im not in the camp that thinks Thomson is unworthy, just sayin though.

LW division is in a pretty bad place right now.

Not really. There is Grant, Khabib, RDA, Gil after he smashes Diego, the winner of Diaz/Maynard. Cerrone/Dunham winner will get a big fight, Jim Miller beats Camoes and he gets a big fight, Healy/Varner winner will get a good fight.

lots of middle of the pack guys looking to break out with wins

Glesion Tibau vs Michael Johnson-UFC 168
Melvin Guillard vs Ross Pearson-UFC FN 30
Danny Castillo vs Edson Barboza-UFC on Fox 9
Jorge Masvidal vs Rustam Khabilov-UFC FN 31
Bobby Green vs James Krause-UFC FN 31

LW is in great shape

No, that was not your point and his inconsistencies has nothing to do with his opponents. If anything he shows up better the higher the competition is.

weeping.jpg

yeah... that was... basically my point, but you really should get a little more worked up about it...... you see we're trying to get to 10 pages... and we really need to feel the passion in your posts..... thanks for helping out.

Easy to look back at the Lauzon and Cerrone wins now and say that but those were very relevant wins at the time. And after dismantling Bendo its hard to say he didnt deserve the shot.

Im not in the camp that thinks Thomson is unworthy, just sayin though.
Of course those were all relevant good wins, and so was Thomson's win against Nate Diaz. That was my point.

Thompson is an excellent fight for Pettis good striker with TDD. If you watched his SF fights and his current UFC fight he is deserving no doubt of a title shot. I don't see anyone else other than Khabib and TJ Grant next for a shot. It all works out nicely.

Ok, dude, the idea that Pettis needs Dana's favoritism to make him into a marketable style is offensive, obscene and outrageous. His fighting style and demeanor and combination of Michael Jordan levels of skill and heart when it comes to the fighting game are easily enough to carry themselves. And his resume does not need any padding in the slightest either.

And as for Pettis vs Thomson and which is more deserving, it is an utterly moot point - both of them had the necessary wins in devastating fashion they needed and both of them had previous performances that easily justified their title shots. At this point, arguing that one was inherently less deserving is completely splitting hairs.

watched enough to know Gomi=washed up, Cerrone=feast or famine (greg jackson admits the same), Miller was a great style matchup for Diaz. I watch more than enough, Sorry man, you just haven't convinced me that J.T. has earned it. but ill root for him though.

I'm not trying to convince you he deserves it. He does deserve it. Whether or not you understand that is on you.

Lol @ pad his record.

Thompson would be the best win Pettis has besides Henderson.

I don't know if you watch MMA much but in his last fight, Thomson KO'd the former #4 LW in the world. He should be 2-1 versus the #2 Lightweight in the world and beat guys like KJ Noons, Pat Healy, and JZ Cavalcante outside of those fights.

This guy has said it best.

Honeslty Gil is the only one who deserves a shot over Thompson.
In no way is Thompson a guy to "pad a record". Thompson is legit and very impressive fighter who has been competing at a high level for about ten years.

I don't know if you watch MMA much but in his last fight, Thomson KO'd the former #4 LW in the world. He should be 2-1 versus the #2 Lightweight in the world and beat guys like KJ Noons, Pat Healy, and JZ Cavalcante outside of those fights.

No fucking kidding, Jesus, people are acting like Thomson sucks and yet everyone praises Gil as one of the best.... NEWSFLASH: Thomson is JUST as good as Melendez

I think Josh has a really dangerous style for Pettis. He has great wrestling, and his striking is good too. I was really hoping they would make this fight, although as a Pettis fan I'm a little worried. LW is such a shark tank he's going to be in danger of losing his belt every single time out, and I don't see anyone in that division holding the belt for long.

watched enough to know Gomi=washed up, Cerrone=feast or famine (greg jackson admits the same), Miller was a great style matchup for Diaz. I watch more than enough, Sorry man, you just haven't convinced me that J.T. has earned it. but ill root for him though.

But you think Khabib has :rolleyes:

is thomson really a better wrestler than bendo? bendo could only take pettis down when he tried a cartwheel

Nope, I don't think so.

Bendo is as good as it gets for wrestlers at 155 in the UFC... So I don't see how Josh could possibly wrestlefuck him for 5 rounds.

LW division is in a pretty bad place right now.

I think it was around the second Edgar/Maynard fight when they had like 6 or 7 contenders and Joe Silva decided to wipe them all out before the third fight.

It's actually the reason I hate instant rematches, Edgar/Maynard 3 and Bendo/Edgar 2 wiped out a lot of contenders.

Amen bro. There have been too many fighters lately getting a title shot after a loss. It holds up entire divisions, eliminates contenders, and de-legitimizes what it means to have a title fight.

Anthony just beat the champ in one round he doesn't need his record to be padded. All you're doing is discrediting wins, you're ignoring the value of wins at the time they happened. If you go back and analyze every fighter record the way you're analyzing thompson's and nate's than no fighter has ever earned anything.

Cains reaction in that 3rd gif is beautiful.

Lol TS would you rather Pettis sit out for 6 months or so until grant is healed or Gilbert beats Diego?

Damn Pettis is always injured the fact his fighting so soon again is a joy in itself against a guy that is a top fighter.

Still wish chandler didnt resign to bellator

Thompson is a bad ass, he's quick and good everywhere. He has the skills to shut down Pettis' striking game, hope he can pull it off though as it's easier said than done.

It's odd how everyone says how stacked LW is but yet there is apparently no challengers for the belt. LW is technically stacked that is has a lot of fighters in it but how many of them are actually elite? You have the top 5 then who else.

J.T is no slouch, but a tittle shot was too much IMO. The current scenario does not help though.

That said, Dana would not put Aldo in front of Pettis right away. He knows better than that, Pettis is young and will make a lot of money for the UFC, no need to give him the biggest challenge he will prolly ever face in his professional career right away.

Pettis is awesome, but only his recent blind nuthugging fan base can actually put him as a favorite against Aldo.

Back