Oscar De La Hoya Urges Rory MacDonald To After The Finish

Rory is a beast, he even admitted post-fight he made technical errors and played it safe.

This^

Don't worry people if the Rassler was in the cage he would have finished Penn, took every risk possible with No regard for his own safety. He's a Just Bleed, Just Scrap Warrior 4 Life yo....

no, if he was in there with penn, penn would have double legged him and finished de la hoya easily

Easier said than done.

he stated in the post fight interview he was still apprehensive about engaging because he knew how good Penn's boxing was. probably should have gone after it anyway but whatever he is still young he has plenty of time to learn.

I agree. He will keep improving and challenge for a belt soon, but it is possible that he gassed himself, toward the end, and thus the taunting.If he felt like he could have finished BJ i'm sure he would have.

He should not be wondering why Rory coasted when he has done the same thing in his career.

While i agree with you I feel like De La Hoya thought Rory had BJ hurt enough where he could have finished him if he went all out for the finish. That wasn't the case in De La Hoya vs Trinidad

Rory has been a finishing machine prior to this fight. He respected BJ a bit too much. I will accept his careful consideration of BJ's ability to come back over committing to the finish and getting KOed in the process.

There are some fighters you just can't count out based on instinct alone and believe BJ is most certainly one of them.

A note to the people following the Rory saga as it stands to today; Carlos is also a guy you can't just count out either. Condit will also be dangerous from start to finish even when he is hurt.

BJ is a tough son of gun to put away but I think Rory did have a shot at it, I agree that he should have continued to attack the body like De La Hoya says but he could have used a knee or a leg kick as well

The problem for Rory was that it was almost as if he was following a script. Don't get me wrong he was destroying BJ, but it was like his combination said for example 'Jab, jab, punch to the body, kick'. So he went through the motions even though at points in that fight he had to go off script. He had Penn buckled over with the bodyshot in the second round I think it was; Penn was done, but instead of returning to the body he kept to the script even when the next strikes in the combination didn't fit in with the context of what was happening in the fight.

Against someone like Condit thats the one thing I think could be his undoing. Following a set pattern and not fighting to whats in front of him. If he throws a leg kick, just because thats what comes at the end of a combination he could get rocked and finished.

That being said, if he tidies up that one thing I think he comfortably beats condit.

The problem for Rory was that it was almost as if he was following a script. Don't get me wrong he was destroying BJ, but it was like his combination said for example 'Jab, jab, punch to the body, kick'. So he went through the motions even though at points in that fight he had to go off script. He had Penn buckled over with the bodyshot in the second round I think it was; Penn was done, but instead of returning to the body he kept to the script even when the next strikes in the combination didn't fit in with the context of what was happening in the fight.

Against someone like Condit thats the one thing I think could be his undoing. Following a set pattern and not fighting to whats in front of him. If he throws a leg kick, just because thats what comes at the end of a combination he could get rocked and finished.

That being said, if he tidies up that one thing I think he comfortably beats condit.

Good post/analysis.

It kind of felt methodical, mechanical and awfully rehearsed.Though there were some good and visually pleasing combinations, you never really got the sense he had what it took to end it.Strangely, he mimicked Luke Rockhold who is known for the same.

Imo, this was the worst B.J. Penn, ever, which means either Rory blew it or he simply couldn't finish.I'm leaning toward the latter.

Last edited:
Rory did the right thing, maintain his composure and followed his gameplan.

I think some guys just have to learn standup that way. Combinations probably haven't come naturally to him, so instead he has learned some standard varieties.

I think some guys just have to learn standup that way. Combinations probably haven't come naturally to him, so instead he has learned some standard varieties.

Thats true. I've no doubt he'll improve.

Is your avatar photoshopped or does Anderson actually have hair? That pic is awesome.

This coming from the guy who coasted against Trinidad.

Haha

When i was watching Rory/BJ, I actually believed in my mind at the time that Rory backed off from the finish to punish BJ further.

Haha

When i was watching Rory/BJ, I actually believed in my mind at the time that Rory backed off from the finish to punish BJ further.

That's kind of the way I saw it too, but who knows? We're not in his head, and we can't be sure he told the truth in the post fight interviews

rory was mixing it up showing he has skills in other areas too. of course rory could've just swarmed bj with punches after bending bj over, but he wanted to show case that he can do other things too.

It looked fairly risk free, Penn couldn't even stand up for a while there. But hindsight is a wonderful thing/

This coming from the guy who coasted against Trinidad.

that was a long time ago, hombre. Besides, he said he didn't want to win but just wanted to "box for the sake of boxing"

that was a long time ago, hombre. Besides, he said he didn't want to win but just wanted to "box for the sake of boxing"

Yea my ass Idc what he says he wanted to win that fight he just did so well the first half of the fight he thought he had the fight in the bag

Huh? His corner told him to coast because they thought he was ahead.

Back